Vieville - King of Cups' feet

Moonbow

I can't tell you how many times I have looked at this card and at the cushion under the King's feet and wondered why it is there, but only yesterday I noticed that he wears no shoes. All of the other Kings do and one seems to have patterned shoes like the ones worn by the Valets. So this King is indoors, at home, and not one for fighting and conflicts in a physical sense.

So what would be the reason for this? Does it portray him as a homely man, a gentle man?

I am reminded of the very first time I met my Reiki Master at an alternative therapy event. Without realising that she ran the Reiki school that I was later to become a member of, I was immediately connected to her because she wore no shoes in this large hotel room where the event was held. Somehow it made her more approachable to me.

A King who wears no shoes is one who isn't immediately ready to jump into action. Perhaps it means that he isn't at court but is in his private quarters?

le pendu

I think you're right moonbow*!

I've noticed (and loved) the pillow before, but never noticed that the kind isn't wearing any shoes!

vieville_CK.jpg

Compared to the other kings, I don't see any obvious signs of a shoe or armor:
vieville_EK.jpg
vieville_BK.jpg
vieville_DK.jpg

I think it says a lot for this man... that he is man of comfort. For whatever reason, I'm thinking it was fairly common to have a pillow for the feet, but I'm not sure, will have to look.

On the other hand, a thought did occur to me: I wonder if he had gout? I suppose not, as there are no signs of swelling, but I would imagine that if a king did have it, a pillow would have been most welcome indeed.

Rosanne

Well it just goes to show he is an Eastern King. The pillow may be a symbol of the Earth.

The practice of standing with bare feet comes originally from the Hebrew tradition, as we know, and the classic example is Moses before the Burning Bush where God commands Moses to take off his sandals.

The ancient Eastern tradition has always been the opposite to that of the West in this respect. In the West, one shows respect by removing one's head covering and by having shoes on one's feet. In the East, the opposite is true, one covers one's head and removes one's shoes.

Among the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Christians, one removes one's shoes upon entering the Church and in the Coptic, Egyptian Church, one takes off one's shoes to receive Holy Communion etc. Slippers and sandals are permitted, as well as heavy socks. (By Doctor Alexander Roman)
Like the fact his emotions might be softened.

Rosanne

For your interest on Persian ettiquette at the day of Noraz- the New Year from Islamic studies.
As the great day approaches, every man says to himself, "Well, to-morrow is Noruz. I must get my head shaved, go to the bath, dye my hands, nails, and beard with henna, put on a clean skull-cap, and see if the tailor has my new coat ready. I must buy some sugar and tea, tobacco and candy, and then I shall be ready for all comers."

In the capital the festival is ushered in and celebrated with elaborate ceremonies by the shah and his court. At the astronomical termination of the year a tray of the seven fruits is brought before the prince. Some of these are eaten. Incense is burned, according to a custom of the fire-worshipers. One hundred and ten guns are fired off, with reference to Ali, who is said to have been named successor to Mohammed on this day. Consuls, nobles, and high officials, clothed in their uniforms and decorations, pay their salaam to His Highness, and partake of a feast. Luck-money, coined with the name of the shah, is distributed to all. Some of these gold and silver tokens are sent to the mujtehid and other ecclesiastics. They presage a fortunate year for the recipient, because the king thus indicates his royal favor. After the salaam there is a military review in the medan or public square. The trumpet is sounded; the officers on their gayly caparisoned horses present themselves with their companies. Each soldier receives a token of fourteen shahis in value.....in stockinged feet and with headgear on, received us cordially, rising and shaking our hands. To his "Salaam alakum!" [" Peace to you!"] we responded, "To you peace! May Your Excellency's feast be blessed!" He replied, "May your favor be increased!"

Moonbow

Thanks for the images Robert, and to Rosanne for the quotes. Seeing all of the Kings together is useful too, for example the King of Coins appears to be wearing slippers.

Debra

Now we have to look at everyone's feet, eh?

As far as the Asian king goes--I wonder about the big bushy beard.

Le Fanu

Im not sure I ever saw the King of Cups as shoeless. They always looked to me like tights/hose/ a kind of boot which would be made of softer fabric. A bit medieval in style. Cant quite explain it. Besides; what greater status symbol for a King than the fact that he needs soft shoes? Why would he ever have to walk on hard ground with protective shoes? Isn´t that for poor people?

Even so, if he is shoeless, I feel that it would tie in with the Persian monarch theme; of being paid hommage to, of receiving subjects...