Visconti -Cardinal not Elemental?

Rosanne

In trying to work out a way to show the Elements in the 22, I found that the Visconti seemed to be the best cards to use, although they are not numbered or titled. I have also used the order of the TdM, which most likely was not intended. What I discovered was that instead of using the Elements I could divide the 22 cards into the Cardinal Virtues.

This is my chart.
Does it make sense?

~Rosanne

Attachments

• Death 1230009.JPG
    Death 1230009.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 135

Rosanne

The Cardinal Virtues.
Fortitude - forbearance, endurance, and ability to confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation.(Batons)
Temperance - practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation (Cups)
Prudence - able to judge between actions with regard to appropriate actions at a given time (Coins)
Justice - proper moderation between the self-interest and the rights and needs of others (Swords)

According to Huson Batons are the symbols of the ancient class of learned Men,
who maintain the faith as Magians. There for they are the Fire-watchers of ancient Persia for example.
So it would seem that in the Visconti that the the card Force/Strength/Fortitude should be a fire card. In my chart because of the order we accept it has come under Prudence, which would be Coins.

I have scanned the four groups with the ace of each Suit to give some clarity.

I know others have different ways to show this same idea- like the first 21 cards are divided by seven (3 elements)and the Wold is Earth.
Other than the card Force on the chart, can you see any other glaring misplacement's?

~Rosanne

Attachments

• Death 1230010.JPG
    Death 1230010.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Death 1230011.JPG
    Death 1230011.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Death 1230012.JPG
    Death 1230012.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Death 1230013.JPG
    Death 1230013.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 109

Rosanne

I have swapped Fortitude/Strength and The Hermit around.
There is evidence for this numbering of The Hermit at 11 and Strength at 9
in early decks.
Evidence for the Hermit at 11 is Early french ordering, the Steele Manuscript, a 15th Century sheet and Charles V1 Deck.
Evidence for Strength at 9 is the Rosenwald sheet, Early French Ordering, Steele Manuscript and some modern Bolognese Decks.
It now sits well as Strength/Fortitude as a fire card of Batons; The Hermit as an Earth card of Coins.

Just as well the Visconti is unnumbered eh :D?

~Rosanne

Wisdom 8:7 reads, "She [Wisdom] teacheth Temperance, and Prudence, and Justice, and Fortitude, which are such things as men can have nothing more profitable in life."