Was the Tarot of Marseilles Grimaud published in 1970?!! help!!

gorgeousbutterfly

I am reading the book "The Tarot.History,Symbolism and Divination" by Robert M.Place. I am reading pg.7 in case anybody has a copy. it saids

"Presently,the most well-known example of the tarot of marseilles is the one that was first published in 1748 by the french manufacturer grimaud."

that saids 1748, not 1970?!! am i misinformed or was there a later edition that came out? also the tarot de marsielles conver was published later, 1760 so doesnt that mean the grimaud is the original? wouldn't the grimaud be more historically correct deck then the conver(heron ed)? i feel sooooooooo uninformed because i could of swore i read here that heron is more historically accurate mariselles deck and that it was a photo reproduction of the "real" first marsielles deck ever published which the read original copy is in a museum in paris.

jmd

In terms of the 'first real Marseille', it may be fair to say that there are early examples, but no definite first model that is clearly known from which the others definitely derive.

The Conver is certainly, from my perspective, not even the earliest Marseille-type deck. It is what some refer to as TdM-II, with the Dodal the other type (TdM-I). Earlier variations, such as the Paris, the Noblet, and the Vieville, are each a little (or quite!) different from the Conver, itself based on earlier models.

That Grimaud used a 1748 Conver-type (TdM-II) deck on which to base his is very likely. It may be worth pointing out that one of the very early Grimaud was more a Besançon-type deck (with Juno and Jupiter), rather than Marseille-type.

Grimaud, by the way, published its deck considerably before 1970. Certainly in 1935 there is already a TdM-II type deck (with the Grimaud copyright symbol, but no date).

I'm sure that others who have far better detailed knowledge of the development of the Grimaud house will fill in gaps... and it reminds me that I still have not read Robert Place's book - on my list of things to do very soon!!!