website

Moon mind

HI everyone again!

I want to have my own website. The site would be only promotional I don’t want to sell any products or readings.(for now anyway)
It will be for my other business(costumes) but I would like to have little space for Tarot, just to promote I do Tarot readings. My idea is to have some pictures of Tarot cards. Now I understand I need permission to use images like that even if it is only to show not to do readings..
So how do you obtain such permission?
And if you do readings on line (some of you do) how do you get the permission to use some of the Tarot decks that you didn’t design yourself?

Thank you ahead for any ideas!
moon m.

jmd

If you get someone standing behind to to take a photo of, for example, looking past your shoulder at a spread you are in the process of drawing, then no permission is required, as you are then displaying your activity with the cards.

Strictly, also, displaying a few cards for the purposes of showing the deck you are using does not require permission, though it is simply good manners to request the same.

Be prepared for a request (worded as a non-optional condition) clause to you to include with the permission given by some copyright holders and, in some cases, those who claim copyright (even if questionable).

Fulgour

If you want to show pictures by "Pamela Colman Smith"
aka Rider Tarot, I have some that you can use without
fear of USGames... anyway, most artists would be glad
to see their decks being featured. Copyrights are 'legal'
type stuff, and not promotional issues. So, don't worry!

Sulis

I have some tarot card images on my website.

I wrote to the deck creators and asked if it was ok to use images of their decks.

Then I put a thankyou and a copyright notice on my homepage.

All of the decks on my site are from quite small or independent publishers.

Moon mind

Hello!

Sulis, your website looks very nice. Something like that I have in mind - just to display images. And I could promote other's products by doing so...in the 'link' area.

Thank you Fulgour, for the offer, I am considering it.

JMD, thank you
How does it work when you do on line readings, where you actually have the whole deck displayed and people can get readings?...Just curious really... I guess it applies the same.. Ask for "non-optional condition" from the publisher or designer?

Thank you!

Kenny

I wanted to do an online journal featuring pictures from the Ator Tarot--the deck I'm currently studying. After a quick e-mail Robin Ator, the creator, allowed me permission to use his deck as long as I inculde a return link to his site.

Maybe it is different if you want to make money out of it but it is good advertisting for the deck--as long as you don't slate the deck for no good reason.

Moon mind

I am still in the process of working the ideas about my site.
thank you for replying!

I do have another issue :)
yes, of course..

Some people around me thinking that I should keep two separate web sites.
One for costumes and my sewing and all that.
second one for my Tarot readings...

I really thought I would keep everything under one umbrella.. to me those two have a lot in common.

But another POV came up, that Tarot could make my costume business look unprofessional. dreamy, not serious... you know that way of thinking?

After seeing some really cheesy adds in the paper about psychics and "charging money for returning your ex lover to you and all that" I do now have a doubt about advertisings my two businesses one site...
My view was to do it very artistically in some creative way... to combine these two.
Then I look at the world out there and yes, we all know that some people do have the negative way of seeing Tarot.

Do I keep Tarot and costumes and on one site and be ME the way I am (stay true to myself)?
or
Do I listen the business POV's and focus on others and their ideals, because it could affetc the business of my art?

Thank you ahead for any inputs on this!
mm

Grizabella

I think the more people who come "out of the closet" so to speak, about Tarot, the more we'll sweep the negative myths away from our doorsteps. I don't see anything imcompatible about costumes and tarot. I think if you combine the two as you had in mind, creatively and with pride, then you're going to be helping all of us who use tarot to take a step forward. Sure, maybe there will be an element of those who are put off, but we can never please everyone no matter what we do or don't do, so we just have to step to our own music and be proud of who we are, don't we? You had a good idea of your own and I think you should follow it and not listen to other people.

Moon mind

Thank you Lyric!
I'll take your words w/me.