What is my purpose in life? (dream)

rainboweve

Something interesting happened to me today. I woke up at 3:30 am and was awake for several hours before falling back asleep, and I had been wondering what my purpose in life was and asked for a dream to tell me the answer right before I fell back asleep.

In my dream I lived in a very nice, clean, modern apartment or maybe a house with my three children (I do not have any children in real life) and husband. It was a normal, happy day and my husband had just come from work and one of my daughters was playing with the piano we had in the living room and I was getting excited about teaching her how to play it. In my dream I felt as though I wanted this to be true so badly that I started sobbing so hard I couldn't be sure if I was crying out loud or not.

I would love to say the dream ended there, but it did not, and the second part is what confuses me the most. When my husband came home from work a little black cat ran out into the garage, and I'm not sure how it happened but a fire started and only me, my husband, and the black cat escaped, but all of the children died. The dream ended with me screaming in anger at God, yelling at him about how he took away everything I ever loved and how could he let this happen.

The entire dream was extremely vivid and when I awoke I had a feeling of 'was that real?' so I have no doubt in my mind that this dream was meant as a message for me. The symbols that stood out most to me were the blazing fire but when I tried looking this up in a dream dictionary none of the descriptions resonated with me at all. The other symbol that really stood out to me was the black cat - now, I love cats and do not believe them to be symbols of bad luck, but when I looked up this symbol in a dream dictionary it suggested I'm harboring fears about using my psychic abilities, which I would say in itself is true.

So, in response to my original question "What is my purpose in life?" here are a few theories I came up with:

- I'm being punished for something done in a past life/life in a different dimension/planet/universe that I don't remember and my purpose in this life is to suffer.
- I'm being tested by God (or someone or something,) and my whole purpose in this life is to find faith in God despite the tests given to me.

I would love to hear any other theories about this dream should you have any. Thanks for reading.

Roy

Roy's using clairvoyance.

I saw you on a rocking chair with a cat. There was snow all around you and you were at the top of a mountain separate from other people. The coldness is the shell you put around your heart. I'm sure you like the visuals of snowy mountains lol I sure do

Your life purpose is to connect with people and to conquer your fears of them.

Anyways your dreams were highlighting two things. Your wants and what keeps you away from them. They don't want you to have faith in God but yourself.

Funny I connect into your energy and saw a hero. Your life purpose is to have the qualities of a hero. The thing about the hero and coward is they feel the same thing but what they do makes them different. The hero presses on despite fear but the coward runs away but again both feel the same way

You should use your psychic ability or find someone with it and find out who you are. I don't think you're proud of yourself and by knowing yourself more you'll be more confident

Milfoil

In my dream I lived in a very nice, clean, modern apartment or maybe a house with my three children (I do not have any children in real life) and husband. It was a normal, happy day and my husband had just come from work and one of my daughters was playing with the piano we had in the living room and I was getting excited about teaching her how to play it. In my dream I felt as though I wanted this to be true so badly that I started sobbing so hard I couldn't be sure if I was crying out loud or not.

This part of the dream seems to suggest the subconscious desire, in fact more than a desire, a deep yearning to be able to pass on your skills to others, to be a teacher. The perfect family home suggests that there are aspects of you which need to grow, learn and practice, practice, practice (since that's what learning the piano is all about isn't it?). It is interesting that a musical instrument is the focus for the learning. Vibration and harmony are suggested and it seems that the question "what is my life purpose?" and the dream of desperately wanting to teach the child aspect of you are connected. In order to find one's path, perhaps one has to learn first? The age of the child at the piano in the dream may suggest the level at which your 'training' should start, ie a pre-school child may suggest a complete new learning curve, a highschool child may suggest that you are already part way through learning or a Uni student would suggest being at a stage where much more advanced concepts are expected to be understood and used with skill.

I would love to say the dream ended there, but it did not, and the second part is what confuses me the most. When my husband came home from work a little black cat ran out into the garage, and I'm not sure how it happened but a fire started and only me, my husband, and the black cat escaped, but all of the children died. The dream ended with me screaming in anger at God, yelling at him about how he took away everything I ever loved and how could he let this happen.

This part of the dream, although scary, is very interesting. The black cat - what does that represent to you? For me it would bring up ideas of intuition, instinct, an animal guide (think witches familiar). It is said that animals know when things like fires, earthquakes etc are going to happen so again, this links in with your question. The fact that you are asking it, suggests that you already, instinctively know that things are changing and you will be moving with the changes. Now the next part of the dream seems horrible but from a subconscious viewpoint it is not so bad. A fire is a basic force of energy, cleansing, swift, leaving the ground bare for vibrant new growth. If the earth is thick with old growth, dead grass etc there is nowhere for the new seeds to find a way to the earth so they can grow too. Sometimes old beliefs and patterns have to be swept away in a seemingly devastating but essentially cleansing wildfire.

The Black Cat knows to get out, your instinct will guide you through this.

You and your husband survive, the animus and anima are intact, the two halves, the ying and yang. This is good.

The children perish, now this sounds dreadful on the surface but remember that dreams are very rarely predicive and if the children represent the young, naive aspects of you, things you learned as a kid which are not helping your growth now, old outdated and unhelpful, restrictive ways of thinking or literally 'childish' beliefs and ways of living then they have to go. It could be painful, scary and difficult to let go of these things; these parts of yourself which you hold close and wish to nurture but perhaps it needs to happen if you are to find your life purpose? Being angry at 'God' for this won't help. Remember, it is you who asked and who are ready to take this next step in your life purpose.

I hope that makes sense.

danieljuk

Black cats are extremely interesting in dreams because it depends on how you perceive them. also there is a cultural take on it too. like in America they are perceived as bad luck, in the UK they are originally seen as good luck but these days people often take the American meaning. Everything in dream interpretation is based on how you personally perceive something. if its positive than it might be a positive symbol, and negative, a negative one. That is different for every person. In tarot the black cat in the Queen of Wands show witchcraft and protection (like the spirit guide idea). Also feminine intuition. I wonder if you are being protected.

The dream about the family and the home is definitely one of desire. It's what you wish you had. I have very vivid dreams about a man who is an artist who randomly becomes my life partner. I am pretty sure it's what I am desiring and might even be predictive. The person is not someone I have met yet.

Fire is interesting too. I had a dream where the whole house burnt down. Everything was destroyed but my family and pets were all safe. so everything burnt away but everyone was safe. The meaning of that one is psychological transformation. You need to change or transformation in your life. My fire dream was positive, I woke up feeling very positive about it, like "change is coming". Your fire dream is a horrific nightmare. Dreaming of children dying is pretty horrible. I think that part of the dream is anxiety and losing control. you couldn't save them! Also maybe its a symbol that you inner child is dying, work on change and transformation and your inner self perhaps!

Please don't think dreams are ever there to punish us or test us or its punishment for psychic abilities. we all have different dreams, sometimes wonderful and sometimes horrible nightmares! Your purpose in life is to have a family that you desire, with husband, kids and family home (and maybe a piano and black cat :) ) The last part of the dream is saying you need to change something to get there! but you are protected and looked after

poopsie

Let me make a pitch:

I will use a technique once used by a great psychologist and let us see if you can resonate with it.
Typically, in some instances, a person or an object in a dream can represent something of you or your personality and wishes, thoughts, emotions, unconscious or subconscious desires, etc. or simple reactions to what may be currently happening in your life.

a. Usually, dreaming of yourself at home can also be interpreted as: the home or house in the dream may be representative of you... and in this case, you were teaching your children music. Home in this case may suggest an inclination to provide a sense of nurturance, caring, and learning to someone. Home is security, comfort. Home is peace with oneself.

b. Children which may also be you may represent you as needing to learn something, or do something creative, artistic, (as implied by learning piano), or structure within a free mindset (given that piano or music is both an art and a science because it entails discipline and perseverance)... You as mother and teacher may represent the aspiration you have of yourself... wanting to impart, mentor, teach someone something that would be more lasting...

c. the crying - you will need to look at the context of your crying in the dream - what was the emotion at the time of crying- sadness, regret, happiness, joy? Then you may reflect on this question. - what are situations in you current life that cause a similar emotion- something that you would 'cry' about? (If it is sadness or regret -- is there something in your present life that is causing you sadness or regret? Perhaps, a purpose not yet fulfilled?, etc. or if it is joy, something that causes you delight? or if mixed - something you may have mixed feelings about.

Second dream:

Black cats are often seen as independent creatures. Cats like to be free, and although they do not display affection the way dogs do, cats are often cool, and they prefer to show affection when they want to - mainly because they do not seem to view humans as masters. Humor has it that sometimes it is the other way around - we humans serve them. ( i know, i have three cats and I just love them just the way they are). In dreams, they may symbolize the aspect of you that is free and independent, curious, intuitive.

Now, let us look at context. uour husband arrived and you saw the cat running. Then, after, a fire happened and you, your husband, and the cat escaped but your children died. You became angry at God and said a number of things in anger.

Fire can be energy - yours, or it can mean a strong emotion. It may something you are currently feeling - if positive - something that energizes you, or something you anticipate or worry that may be too strong and scary you needed to run away from it. Is there something that you are dreading in real life yhat would cause to escape or flee from? If the fire represents you in terms of a negative emotion, are there feelings burning inside you, perhaps you are keeping within you that are about to blaze?

The children dead - has something inside you disappeared or faded? Something perhaps taken away from you?

Now - possible insight about you, your husband and the cat escaping? As others said it, it may symbolze a change - it is like having a second chance, a second leaf in life. The husband may imply a relationship that may help you through the change. The cat may imply your own independence and freedom to choose to go where you wish and as you see fit. The entire episode of the second dream signals a change may be needed, or perhaps, you are already into it and if so:

support of loved ones would help you through
use your wisdom, independence to make your choice
something that you once did or cherished that has 'died' but you may want to revive or resurrectt
home is you with your purpose in life - teach, nurture, impart, share something memorable .... and learn as a child would... curious, childlike, free ... and don't let this 'purposive fire' in you die or be destroyed... and it's ok if there are trials and challenges.... from the dream's message, you'll pull through.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

rainboweve

This part of the dream seems to suggest the subconscious desire, in fact more than a desire, a deep yearning to be able to pass on your skills to others, to be a teacher. The perfect family home suggests that there are aspects of you which need to grow, learn and practice, practice, practice (since that's what learning the piano is all about isn't it?). It is interesting that a musical instrument is the focus for the learning. Vibration and harmony are suggested and it seems that the question "what is my life purpose?" and the dream of desperately wanting to teach the child aspect of you are connected. In order to find one's path, perhaps one has to learn first? The age of the child at the piano in the dream may suggest the level at which your 'training' should start, ie a pre-school child may suggest a complete new learning curve, a highschool child may suggest that you are already part way through learning or a Uni student would suggest being at a stage where much more advanced concepts are expected to be understood and used with skill.

Thank you Milfoil, I couldn't have asked for a better look into things. About the piano - I myself do play piano and took regular lessons for about ten years, but quit when I was sixteen. The child was young, around 5 or so based on your interpretation I'm somewhere at the very beginning of things. One thing that did strike me from your interpretation is that perhaps I'm meant to be a piano teacher, as wanting to teach my child in the dream how to play piano was a very deep, burning desire.

This part of the dream, although scary, is very interesting. The black cat - what does that represent to you? For me it would bring up ideas of intuition, instinct, an animal guide (think witches familiar). It is said that animals know when things like fires, earthquakes etc are going to happen so again, this links in with your question. The fact that you are asking it, suggests that you already, instinctively know that things are changing and you will be moving with the changes. Now the next part of the dream seems horrible but from a subconscious viewpoint it is not so bad. A fire is a basic force of energy, cleansing, swift, leaving the ground bare for vibrant new growth. If the earth is thick with old growth, dead grass etc there is nowhere for the new seeds to find a way to the earth so they can grow too. Sometimes old beliefs and patterns have to be swept away in a seemingly devastating but essentially cleansing wildfire.

The Black Cat knows to get out, your instinct will guide you through this.

The first thing that comes to mind when I see a black cat is bad luck, but I don't believe them to be bad luck... but in the context of this dream, it did appear to bring misfortune to my household. This makes me reconsider that perhaps this is a strong warning that being a teacher is something I should NOT be doing.

You and your husband survive, the animus and anima are intact, the two halves, the ying and yang. This is good.

The children perish, now this sounds dreadful on the surface but remember that dreams are very rarely predicive and if the children represent the young, naive aspects of you, things you learned as a kid which are not helping your growth now, old outdated and unhelpful, restrictive ways of thinking or literally 'childish' beliefs and ways of living then they have to go. It could be painful, scary and difficult to let go of these things; these parts of yourself which you hold close and wish to nurture but perhaps it needs to happen if you are to find your life purpose? Being angry at 'God' for this won't help. Remember, it is you who asked and who are ready to take this next step in your life purpose.

I hope that makes sense.

I think the main thing I've taken from this dream along with your interpretation is that perhaps what I want is not really why I am here, and I need to do some more soul searching to figure out my true purpose instead of blindly pursuing a life of fulfilling wants.

rainboweve

Black cats are extremely interesting in dreams because it depends on how you perceive them. also there is a cultural take on it too. like in America they are perceived as bad luck, in the UK they are originally seen as good luck but these days people often take the American meaning. Everything in dream interpretation is based on how you personally perceive something. if its positive than it might be a positive symbol, and negative, a negative one. That is different for every person. In tarot the black cat in the Queen of Wands show witchcraft and protection (like the spirit guide idea). Also feminine intuition. I wonder if you are being protected.

The dream about the family and the home is definitely one of desire. It's what you wish you had. I have very vivid dreams about a man who is an artist who randomly becomes my life partner. I am pretty sure it's what I am desiring and might even be predictive. The person is not someone I have met yet.

Fire is interesting too. I had a dream where the whole house burnt down. Everything was destroyed but my family and pets were all safe. so everything burnt away but everyone was safe. The meaning of that one is psychological transformation. You need to change or transformation in your life. My fire dream was positive, I woke up feeling very positive about it, like "change is coming". Your fire dream is a horrific nightmare. Dreaming of children dying is pretty horrible. I think that part of the dream is anxiety and losing control. you couldn't save them! Also maybe its a symbol that you inner child is dying, work on change and transformation and your inner self perhaps!

Please don't think dreams are ever there to punish us or test us or its punishment for psychic abilities. we all have different dreams, sometimes wonderful and sometimes horrible nightmares! Your purpose in life is to have a family that you desire, with husband, kids and family home (and maybe a piano and black cat :) ) The last part of the dream is saying you need to change something to get there! but you are protected and looked after

Interesting, I hadn't considered the cat being any sort of guide as I've never owned a pure black cat, and do tend to see deceased pets in my dreams. Anxiety and losing control over my life definitely makes sense, so that interpretation is perfectly understandable. Change something to get there is probably the line I most agree with from your interpretation, but a change of what exactly still has me baffled. I'm also inclined to say that rather than being protected and looked after, there may be a negative entity of some sort hanging around so I'll have to deal with that.

rainboweve

Let me make a pitch:

I will use a technique once used by a great psychologist and let us see if you can resonate with it.
Typically, in some instances, a person or an object in a dream can represent something of you or your personality and wishes, thoughts, emotions, unconscious or subconscious desires, etc. or simple reactions to what may be currently happening in your life.

a. Usually, dreaming of yourself at home can also be interpreted as: the home or house in the dream may be representative of you... and in this case, you were teaching your children music. Home in this case may suggest an inclination to provide a sense of nurturance, caring, and learning to someone. Home is security, comfort. Home is peace with oneself.

b. Children which may also be you may represent you as needing to learn something, or do something creative, artistic, (as implied by learning piano), or structure within a free mindset (given that piano or music is both an art and a science because it entails discipline and perseverance)... You as mother and teacher may represent the aspiration you have of yourself... wanting to impart, mentor, teach someone something that would be more lasting...

c. the crying - you will need to look at the context of your crying in the dream - what was the emotion at the time of crying- sadness, regret, happiness, joy? Then you may reflect on this question. - what are situations in you current life that cause a similar emotion- something that you would 'cry' about? (If it is sadness or regret -- is there something in your present life that is causing you sadness or regret? Perhaps, a purpose not yet fulfilled?, etc. or if it is joy, something that causes you delight? or if mixed - something you may have mixed feelings about.

I do play piano and would wish to pass the skill on to my children, but haven't played much as of late, so I can also see this as a push from my subconscious to get back into the habit. The crying in the dream was because I simply wanted it so badly, but somehow knew in the back of my mind that I could never have it. My husband and I have fought over the children issue quite a bit over the years, we are still young and not in a rush but at some point in time I did come to accept the fact that I would never have children, so this explains the crying entirely. It was simply out of pure frustration.
Second dream:

Black cats are often seen as independent creatures. Cats like to be free, and although they do not display affection the way dogs do, cats are often cool, and they prefer to show affection when they want to - mainly because they do not seem to view humans as masters. Humor has it that sometimes it is the other way around - we humans serve them. ( i know, i have three cats and I just love them just the way they are). In dreams, they may symbolize the aspect of you that is free and independent, curious, intuitive.

Now, let us look at context. uour husband arrived and you saw the cat running. Then, after, a fire happened and you, your husband, and the cat escaped but your children died. You became angry at God and said a number of things in anger.

Fire can be energy - yours, or it can mean a strong emotion. It may something you are currently feeling - if positive - something that energizes you, or something you anticipate or worry that may be too strong and scary you needed to run away from it. Is there something that you are dreading in real life yhat would cause to escape or flee from? If the fire represents you in terms of a negative emotion, are there feelings burning inside you, perhaps you are keeping within you that are about to blaze?

The children dead - has something inside you disappeared or faded? Something perhaps taken away from you?
I would say there is something I'm fleeing from in real life, so I enjoyed this interpretation. As for the children dying, well, that's an interesting one. My husband has said I'm not the same person I used to be, and I agree with him. My little spark for enjoying life seems to have faded and been replaced with endless negativity that I am desperately trying to get rid of.
Now - possible insight about you, your husband and the cat escaping? As others said it, it may symbolze a change - it is like having a second chance, a second leaf in life. The husband may imply a relationship that may help you through the change. The cat may imply your own independence and freedom to choose to go where you wish and as you see fit. The entire episode of the second dream signals a change may be needed, or perhaps, you are already into it and if so:

support of loved ones would help you through
use your wisdom, independence to make your choice
something that you once did or cherished that has 'died' but you may want to revive or resurrectt
home is you with your purpose in life - teach, nurture, impart, share something memorable .... and learn as a child would... curious, childlike, free ... and don't let this 'purposive fire' in you die or be destroyed... and it's ok if there are trials and challenges.... from the dream's message, you'll pull through.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank you so much. All of the interpretations seemed to suggest a change is coming and I'll do my best to welcome it rather than run from it, and you know what, I actually have been playing the piano again as of late. Always a blessing to hear that I'll pull through, I really needed to hear that as that was most definitely not my focus. Thanks again.

Milfoil

Sounds like you have the dream sussed. Good luck with the next step, soul purpose is a biggie and seems to widen as we grow. :)