What is your experience with promotion?

JONIKA

I am starting to read Tarot for $$$ and I am curious to know how you promote yourselves? From your experience, what kind of promotion has worked for your business and what hasn't?
How have you built up your clientelle? Where have you gone to read?

I will appreciate your sharing your experience. I don't want you to share your secret methods with me, I just would like to know generally what's worked for you.

Thanks!

justagirl

My very dear friend reads and she has built her clientele by offering readings 2 days a week at new age shop. She's been there just a little less than a year and has really seen herself grow.

Deanne

I don't have much to share yet (as I just recently started reading for money), but thanks for starting this thread Jonika! I also definitely appreciate any experiences people are willing to share.

I have noticed that most of my website's traffic comes from my Facebook page, so I think setting something up there would be a good start. I don't know how much of that traffic has led to a purchase, but at least people are looking!

JONIKA

Justagirl - thank you for sharing that information with us! I really like that idea and I have been thinking about doing something like that. I just have to find a shop or book store...

JONIKA

Hi Deanne, I have a FB page too and I am still working on my website. The website should be done soon - before august is over. You get traffic from your Page? That's fabulous! this is my page:

Besides having a Page on FB, what else do you do to attract paying customers to you? :)

justagirl

Justagirl - thank you for sharing that information with us! I really like that idea and I have been thinking about doing something like that. I just have to find a shop or book store...

You are more than welcome. My friend offers other services and once a month the shop holds an Aura Cleansing event. She stays booked from daylight to dusk!

I hope you can find something like that in your area! I drive an hour to go to this store, not bc I don't have anything closer, but it's just the right place for me! :)

Citrin

It depends. Are you doing face-to-face readings or online e-mail/skype readings? :) I myself do online readings and I will open up a shop in a month or two. I'm gonna base all my promotion from my instagram page I think. I have almost 900 followers now and I find it so easy to connect with fellow readers and also just people interested in general in spirituality on there. I'm very comfortable with social media myself and enjoy it soo much, but I guess if one isn't then it's not the easiest thing to build a stable follower base on Facebook or Instagram etc. YouTube or a blog can also be good for promoting.

Deanne

Hi Deanne, I have a FB page too and I am still working on my website. The website should be done soon - before august is over. You get traffic from your Page?
What's yours?

Besides having a Page on FB, what else do you do to attract paying customers to you? :)

I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to our pages here - I think that's only in the advertising forum (for subscribers). If I'm wrong, someone let me know and I'll link it here :)

I don't really have any other methods yet. I donated vouchers for free readings to a raffle recently - one of the winners redeemed theirs, the other hasn't yet. Not sure if either of them will become paying customers down the road.
I will also have a booth at a street festival in a few weeks. I'm expecting that to do well, and really hoping it'll lead to some repeat clients - I'll let you know afterwards :)

Achlys

I used to do readings for free for a long time and built up a clientele that way.
Once I started charging, I charged minimal fees.
Even now, I don't make my readings too expensive. You tend to lose customers that way.
Another good way to promote is using Facebook and other social media.
Joining Tarot groups on other sites and being an active member of that community really helps find you customers as well.
It also helps to have an easy way for people to pay you, so setting up something like a Paypal account for online readings is a really good idea.

JONIKA

Deanne, that sounds great! Let me know how it all went and how you did. I wish you the best of luck and a bunch of your ideal clients! Thanks for the heads up about the ad... :)

Achlys, thank you for your input! What you say makes a perfect sense. I am trying to do just that...:) I charge a little below average prices - they are very reasonable and affordable. I just have to find the ones that are looking for someone like me :)