What to do, What to do

Brock Johnson

As some of you know, I just got 4 decks in the mail yesterday. I adore each of them but I haven't even shuffled them!!! I'm aware that there was a thread on this not too long ago but my question is different. I want to know, what would be some good spreads to "break in" a new deck? There are some spreads on the forum but I want to know what should I ask. I have an obligation to some readings with these but I want to do a reading on myself with these decks before I use them on anyone else. :D

I posted this here instead of the spread forum because I thought that someone might have other ideas to offer aside from questions to ask.

Brock

squeakmo9

When I get a new deck, I generally ask what it is that this deck wishes for me to know or what it is that my Spirit Guides wish me to know and then shuffle and draw 3 cards. The 3 don't necessarily have to be past, present, future. Not sure if this addresses your question Brock? Anyway, enjoy your new decks:)

a_shikhs

You can try one of the new deck spreads posted in the spreads forum. They are awesome for breaking in a new deck.

tmgrl2

To break in a deck...hmm....

Might be a fun way to study the deck to do a Churchyard Spread...lots of cards:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7869

Also...you probably have this link saved already...but this is the link to spreads:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31867&highlight=Churchyard+Spread

Often I will do at least one reading first with my own spread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=25622

You might wish to create a spread of your own and do the first reading with that??

Otherwise, I just use a new deck for some readings....maybe offer some here at AT...three card or one to two card spreads and do a bunch with a new deck.

Sometimes, I simply open, shuffle and use for first time with one of my sitters .....

No rules...just pick and go!!

Enjoy your decks, BJ!

terri

Temperance Angel (I believe it's TA) has a spread using the entire deck...couldn't find it....

HearthCricket

Usually when I get a new deck and have shuffled the cards super well, I start off with a three card spread (past, present, future) after asking about a particular situation. It gives me the foundation of breaking it in and seeing how it is going to read for me. Later in the day I do a daily pick from it, and see how that goes. I usually spend an evening really looking at the cards, after they are shuffled all about, and handle them, a lot, to get used to the feel and just work them in gently. I usually do this while watching TV.

The next day I do a Celtic Cross after asking a deeper question to see how well it reads for me. If it passes the test, I start trying out a few of the more unique spreads.

Moonbow

tmgrl2 said:
Temperance Angel (I believe it's TA) has a spread using the entire deck...couldn't find it....

It was lunalafey, if this is the one you are thinking of terri:

got all day???

Brock Johnson

Thanks to all responces. I have seen the got all day thread and would love to try it but I think it would literally exhause me. If I was a tarot reader and someone asked me to do that spread, I'd charge 150 dollars-200. It's sooo long.

I've decided to just open up my thread on the reading forum. I get joy in reading for other people but the truth is is that, I don't have a lot of questions. It seems like a waste. These beautifully illustrated pieces of art just going to waste (not really :D) so once I get my Spiral from nightillusion, I'll open up the thread.

I'm taking nightly looks through all of the cards that I bought.

Here is my review of the 4 decks click here

Thanks again,

Brock

cheekyinchworm

Hi Brock!

FWIW, so far, I have done three card spreads with any new decks. And certainly, before that, I spend a LOT of time shuffling and looking and sorting and putting the deck back in order and shuffling again.

You say you adore these decks? Well, then why not let your feelings of adoration and appreciation just guide you? For me, this manifests as me not being able to keep my hands off the deck for more than a day or two.

Anyway, back to the three card spreads:

You don't even have to have a question! You don't need to make a big production out of it. Right? I mean, just do a daily Mind-Body-Spirit three card spread like Mary Greer recommends in Tarot for Your Self. Or do a three card spread that you allow yourself to interpret in any way you feel is best; in any way your intuition tells you to? Or in just playing around with the deck, your implied question really is "What is our relationship? What are you going to mean to me? What are you like? What am I like? What can you tell me?" and so on. I don't know. Just throwing stuff out there.