What to look out for on cards

rcb30872

Please note: I am not entirely sure if this belongs here in Talking Tarot, or Using Tarot (or whatever the name of that part), so if it is in the wrong place, I apologise in advance :D

OK, so I made up a new spread, looking into options. The last two positional meanings are the outcome if you do/choose option, and the outcome if you don't do/choose option. I used Forest Folklore, and I got Death and 3 of Wands, respectively. That got me a bit stumped, as I thought that Death was supposed to be a good thing, in that context, and compared to the other cards that I got in the other positions. In the end, I looked at the cards and this is what I saw:

Death was a lot brighter than 3 of Wands
The grass in Death was lush and green, where 3 of Wands was rather lacklustre with brown patches, something that is quite common in the part of the world that I come from, let me tell you. Yeah, the sunburnt country.

I took that as the answer, rather than the traditional meanings of the cards. You don't have to always rely on the literal meanings of the cards, although it is generally a good idea. But just look at the cards, and see if there is anything that possibly really sticks out, and then incorporate that into the meaning.

Oh, comparing what cards look like, in general, is another good thing, as I just found out, LOL!

:love:

Bec

Alta

While the traditional meaning of the card is always in my mind as I read, I too have had experiences like that. Generally those are correct.

As an example I was playing that "Mystery person" game, and drew the magician from the VR. To one side of the card is a skeleton and it just popped for me. every time I looked at the card it caught my eye. But, I ignored it. And it turned out that the person was indeed dead. You don't normally associate The Magician with someone being dead!

Mellifluous

That's great!

Just wanted to point out though, that even using traditional meanings Death could be preferable to 3 of Wands. It doesn't mean literal death... it means change and transformation. Depending on what you're reading about and what outcome you hope for, you could prefer the Death card outcome without referencing illustrations at all.

I'm glad you had a good reading and are satisfied with your new spread! :)

rcb30872

There is one particular deck that I have, that I do tend to rely quite heavily on what I see in the cards, but still keeping in mind the traditional meanings, and that is Golden Tarot of Klimt. Well, to look at the cards, they are rather lacking in colour, mostly dark, black backgrounds. However, it is excellent for looking at body language and facial expressions. There is one particular card, 3 of Pentacles, when I first got it for a reading, I was looking at the card, and then something caught my eye, and I thought what on earth is that, behind where the woman is standing, as she is standing on her side in relation to the card, and there is a face! The face makes me look like it is quite menacing and even a bit evil.

There are heaps of things that you can notice about the cards if you take the time to look at it properly, others you don't have to look to hard, LOL. One good example is the Page of Wands from Radiant Rider Waite, I thought the end of the wand looked very suspiciously like, well, if you have got the deck, take a look, and see what I mean }) (oh, you need to have either a dirty mind or have the mind in the gutter to see it, unless, you can just see it anyway).

:love:

Bec