What would you do if....

HearthCricket

You were in charge of a Tarot deck publishing company??

I would scour the forum, as well as look at people's wishlists and republish lovely editions of all the OOP favourites like Buckland Romani, Greenwood Tarot, Chinese, Ukiyoe, etc., at normal prices, and give a 2 year warning. That gives people time to stock up. If the sales are good I would keep it in print, if not, then I would take it OOP again. But at least people who never had the chance to get the deck would have the opportunity.

Sort of like Disney and how they offer a movie every 10 years and then "close the vault". Only I would do the trial, and reopen the vault in 5 more years to, once again, give new tarot enthusiasts the opportunity to buy.

What would you do?

LTG2201

I would publish some traditional decks like the Visconti-Sforza, Marseilles, Rider Waite and the Thoth, then some decks based on those. I'd get some decks that use different media to create the decks and then I would try to look for artists offering completely new takes on the Tarot, with no traditional imagery.

I'd also make sure that the people working in the company's customer services department always answer phones, and reply to emails.

Baroli

I think I would concentrate on promoting the new and the hip. I would not worry about the old and OOP. That I would leave up to the Tarot collectors and purveyors of rare tarots, ie The Tarot Garden. Interesting question.

Baroli

Disa

I would make a mini deck for all my favorite large decks

I'd produce all the decks with no borders.

I would use the extra cards in the decks as "spread cards" and put a different spread on each one.

I'd also make all the large decks the same size and all the mini decks the same size so if there was a card someone found so destestable that they didn't want in their deck, they could just replace it with a card from a deck they liked better- hmmm that might mean that all decks would have to have the same backs- I would have to think on that some. :)

willowfox

I would go to forums like this one to see what people wanted, to bounce new ideas of the members for feedback and to also look at the cards being produced by the various members of this forum.

Glass Owl

Disa said:
I would make a mini deck for all my favorite large decks

I'd produce all the decks with no borders.

I would use the extra cards in the decks as "spread cards" and put a different spread on each one.
I love all of your ideas! I really like decks without borders and considering how many people cut their borders off, I think that borderless decks would be a great selling point.

Making those extra cards useful is a wonderful idea as well. Or even if they left one blank so that you could either make your own card to add to the deck or replace a damaged one.

Raya

I'd grab up all those decks made by different independent artists. Some great talent there that gets totally overlooked by publishers!

Elnor

I would bring out limited editions of the RWS to celebrate something like its centenary, or Pamela Coleman Smith's birthday... and then give it a different card back. (I think those repeating blue lilies are boring- and the black and blue tartan is just awful.)

elnor