Wheel of fortune - Air or Fire?

Sweetpea

Hi there,

I've been reading up on elemental dignities. The wheel of fortune has be assigned air sometimes and fire others. Which is it? I'm so lost....

My first attempt is screwed up. Do, I have earth, air , earth or earth, fire, air? Arghhh....

Cara

When I first started learning tarot, I always read that Fire was the Wheel of Fortune element, so I'm very comfortable with it being Fire for my readings. Does one just feel "right" compared to the other? I would just go with the one you feel most resonates with the Wheel. As long as it's clear in your mind and is part of your method, it will be clear in your readings. :)

Sweetpea

When I first started learning tarot, I always read that Fire was the Wheel of Fortune element, so I'm very comfortable with it being Fire for my readings. Does one just feel "right" compared to the other? I would just go with the one you feel most resonates with the Wheel. As long as it's clear in your mind and is part of your method, it will be clear in your readings. :)

I agree that I need to go with my gut on this.

Initially, I read that it was fire which didn't really resonate with me because I saw it as moving through the air. Now I see the motion as fire (friction). I guess this is one of those things I'll have to learn and develop as I continue learning.

Thank you for responding

Thirteen

Fire

Astrologically speaking, the Wheel is usually assigned Jupiter which means the element is Fire (Sagittarius, a fire sign, has Jupiter as its planet--and although Jupiter was a sky god, he's associated with lightening, hence fire).

cmarie

I was confused about the same thing for a long time! I finally decided the Wheel was fire to me and that works. I did read in some places it was air.

I never thought of what Thirteen said, about the Wheel ruling Sagittarius, although I know that I just did not connect those dots.

Thirteen

The eternal confusion of Planet vs. Sign

I never thought of what Thirteen said, about the Wheel ruling Sagittarius, although I know that I just did not connect those dots.
Well, to be clear, the Wheel is ruled by Jupiter which also rules Sagittarius. Temperance is ruled by Sagittarius. Tarot gets astrologically confusing because certain cards are ruled by planets and other by astrological signs which, being astrological signs, are ruled by planets :) What you have to remember is that the planet and the sign it rules are not equal.

Jupiter is expansive and lucky and future oriented. It's about taking leaps of faith, optimism and trust and going for the gold. You can see that if a planet was like that, it'd have a Sagittarius centaur as it's alien creature, racing about, always looking for the next shot to take with its arrow, always aiming to hit the bullseye, etc. (Not unlike the god, Jupiter, throwing his lightning bolts on down at things). This is what rules over the Wheel and Sagittarius. But the Wheel is just Jupiter. Temperance is Sagittarius--which includes all the qualities Sag has thanks to Jupiter.

The reason I brought up Sagittarius to confirm that the Wheel was fire was because every card that is ruled by a planet shares the element of the zodiac signs ruled by that planet. So, HPS ruled by the Moon--Moon rules Cancer, Cancer is water sign, so HPS is water. Mercury is ruler of Magician--Mercury rules Gemini, Gemini is air sign, so Magician is Air.

Does that make sense?

Sweetpea

I was confused about the same thing for a long time! I finally decided the Wheel was fire to me and that works. I did read in some places it was air.

I would never have figured it out my own. It can get confusing for a newbie when you're told one thing and then next time, it's different. That's what I love about this site. I'm constantly learning here and slowly figuring out what works for me.

Astrologically speaking, the Wheel is usually assigned Jupiter which means the element is Fire (Sagittarius, a fire sign, has Jupiter as its planet--and although Jupiter was a sky god, he's associated with lightening, hence fire).

Well, to be clear, the Wheel is ruled by Jupiter which also rules Sagittarius. Temperance is ruled by Sagittarius. Tarot gets astrologically confusing because certain cards are ruled by planets and other by astrological signs which, being astrological signs, are ruled by planets :) What you have to remember is that the planet and the sign it rules are not equal.

Jupiter is expansive and lucky and future oriented. It's about taking leaps of faith, optimism and trust and going for the gold. You can see that if a planet was like that, it'd have a Sagittarius centaur as it's alien creature, racing about, always looking for the next shot to take with its arrow, always aiming to hit the bullseye, etc. (Not unlike the god, Jupiter, throwing his lightning bolts on down at things). This is what rules over the Wheel and Sagittarius. But the Wheel is just Jupiter. Temperance is Sagittarius--which includes all the qualities Sag has thanks to Jupiter.

The reason I brought up Sagittarius to confirm that the Wheel was fire was because every card that is ruled by a planet shares the element of the zodiac signs ruled by that planet. So, HPS ruled by the Moon--Moon rules Cancer, Cancer is water sign, so HPS is water. Mercury is ruler of Magician--Mercury rules Gemini, Gemini is air sign, so Magician is Air.

Does that make sense?

WOW!! Thirteen posted in my thread!! I feel so honored! I always love reading your posts. You explain things in such a way an amateur like me can understand.

Yes, it does make sense. I have never considered looking at the planets associated with cards. I usually just dismiss them as "not applicable". The more I learn, the more I realize Tarot isn't just about looking at pictures and coming up with a "story". Thank you for taking the time to explain. Now I can finish my reading. :)