When you aren't in the flow of a reading

bud

As a beginning reader I am noticing how the quality of my readings (for self and other) really depends on how unattached I am to the outcome. When a reading doesn't resonate, is it that my energy calls up nonsense cards? Or is it that the cards are the "right" cards, but I am just too anxious/attached to the answers to interpret them in a way that makes sense? I notice that certain readings seem to make sense to me immediately, but some demand more patience. Wondering if the "nonsense" cards yield truth if I could avoid frustration and stay with myself instead of abandoning the reading.

violetdaisy

I think if you're focusing on a well thought out question the appropriate cards will come up. If for some reason they don't make any sense to me I write down the name of the deck, the cards and their positions and come back to it later when I can be more objective.

Farzon

Sometimes a reading won't make any sense, no matter how objective you are. Usually, I take this as a sign that the question is not as important as I thought it would be. It's like talking to someone; sometimes there's simply nothing to say.

AquaPeacock

Sleep time

When the cards don't make sense for me I know it's time to take a nap lol. But that's just me

Michael Sternbach

It is not uncommon ime that the cards don't make sense immediately. When that happens, I spend some time with the spread in front of me, contemplate it, study how the cards relate to each other, call on my intuition. After a little while, what looked like gibberish first often starts making perfect sense! I just needed to find the right focus first.

Obviously, when the cards only confirm what we know or have thought about already, they are easy to read. While this may be astonishing for a beginner, it is more interesting if the cards yield new information. Therefore, a reading that seems non-sensical at first can turn out to be very valuable. Writing your thoughts down even when reading for yourself greatly helps to clarify them.

When reading for others, you may need the querent's feedback to understand what certain cards represent. And sometimes the cards talk about things that haven't happened yet. So note your spreads well also for later review. That way you can learn a lot about how the cards express themselves.

Redoing a reading is only a last resort to me. Yes, it can happen that it is not possible to access certain for some reasons at a certain time or in a certain way. But by giving up prematurely, you learn nil and in fact train yourself to be content with easily digestible but rather shallow answers.

Tanga

As a beginning reader I am noticing how the quality of my readings...When a reading doesn't resonate, is it that the cards are the "right" cards

Yes. :)

When this happens to me - I leave it and come back to it later (take a nap, have a cuppa,
change your focus to something else - and allow your subconscious to work on it for you).
And - I hardly ever do in-depth readings for myself. a) these days I usually know the answer anyway and b) my head just gets in the way as I'm attached to my preferred outcome ;)
So my self-readings always have to be light - like play.
Recently I've found that "asking my spirit guides", rather than asking directly for myself - seems to work better. Go figure! :joke:
I use cards personally in many other ways - meditation, contemplation, as talismans etc.
And otherwise I mostly do email readings.

If you're reading face to face - then asking the seeker what the cards spark for them may be helpful - as Michael has described.

bud

Thank you for all the replies! I think I need to exercise my patience, along with my intuition, because I either tend to doubt my first impression of a card (and then lose it if I don't write it down immediately), or abandon the reading when the cards don't seem to speak directly to the question. I need to try the method of taking a break (nap, cuppa, walk) and then returning to a reading with fresh eyes.

Citrin

I believe it takes time to connect with and understand the cards. You will notice that your reading (and life) experience is going to ”add” meanings to the cards as you go along. In the beginning reading tarot isn’t easy for most of us. There are 78 freakin’ cards to get connected to, and most of us get anxious about ”Am I really getting it right?” and that also affects us negatively in the beginning. :) My personal belief is that the right cards always show up, but if we’re not able to connect with intuition, could be because of a hundred different reasons, then the message won’t come through right.

You just keep practicing and journaling and studying your cards and it will all start to make more sense to you. :)

VGimlet

Sometimes they flow right along, then there are those times when you lay down the cards and think "doh!"

Usually when that happens to me it's because I'm tired or stressed out and it's time to take a break.

plant witch

when the cards aren't flowing for me I try to take a step back and look at it in a 'big picture' sort of way. what suits popped up? how many of the same suit? what are the numbers like? what is the elemental theme of the reading? what majors are present?

once I've got this down its easier to make connections. for example, if the overall theme is earth/pents then the cup cards are probably relating to business not love.