Wicca Pack - BROOMSTICK (cleansing)

Tarotphelia

This is a good card to draw for the new year I think . The good old broomstick ! On this card, a white robed lady rides a broom within the intersection of the sun and the moon . The setting seems to be a forest, and the broom has a spiral indication around the end of it . I am imagining this might be indicative of some vibration it gives off?

The book meaning of the card seems to be almost celebratory- even sexual , and at the same time purifying . A while back I had a dream of being given a white broom and I didn't know what it meant . After looking around , I found the white broom had some association to German witchcraft ! I love how these potent old symbols can find their way to us through our subconscious , even when we have no conscious knowledge about them .

The intersection of the sun and the moon seem to me to be a symbol of transition from one phase to another, one season to another , day to night , etc. Perhaps it is a reminder that any transition point is an excellent time to cleanse and celebrate? Psychic flow takes place at the in between place too - perhaps the rider is hovering between the conscious and unconscious, or sleeping and waking ? Is the white gown a nightgown? Does she fly in her sleep ?

catlin

During German witch trials the accused persons were often accused to fly to meetings on the Brocken (a traditional witch meeting place in Germany) on brooms or other household items (sometimes pestles, buckets, forks, etc) or animals such as goats to meet their master, the Devil, there and to celebrate or take part in fertility rites.

Traditional witch salves and creams were said to create a kind of trance like sleep to make the accused feel like flying on a broomstick.

In days gone by people (especially the poor ones) could not afford carpets for the floor so they used straw or other dried plants and they were swept out with a broom.

MareSaturni

Hum...i see this card as cleaning the old things so the new can come. Definitely an appropriate card for the new year, Dark Inquisitor. Great choice ;)

Even in relationships...you need to clean the old sorrows, disappointments and fear if you want it to renew itself. Both partners must be willing do that, they must find what they still like, what is better left behind, what they can look for in the future, together. The must clean the room and 'jump the broomstick' to start another stage of the relationship.

As for the rest...this is a card of celebration to me. You maybe in the void right now (the flying woman is in a dark part formed by the intersection of the sun and the moon), but a better time is coming - you'll be able to clean the cupboard, purify yourself and start again brand new. It's a transition...it tells you something good is coming so be prepared and don't miss it!

About her being dressed in a nightgown...that's an interesting idea! Maybe this transition is like the sleep - our daily transition to the next day. I don't know, i'll analyze it better...hum...and the spiral around the broomstick too. This card has many symbols i hadn't noticed, thanks for pointing.

MareSaturni

Ah, before i forget...i have a question. There's another card, the "Holy Water" one...the keyword is purification. What do you think is the difference between them? I know it's sorta obvious, but i'm curious about other's opinions!

Thanks!