William Blake Tarot - XII Reversal

Moonbow

Here we see Urizen, desperately grasping hold of the earth in a 'handstand of the soul', while being buffeted by the winds of change and reversal. Behind him is a black cloud with tears. As the 'hanged man' card of the deck, this depicts more action than some, as rather than being suspended prior to being transformed, Urizen has put himself in the position in order to bring about deliberate change. It's a powerful picture showing strength of will and determination, a necessary act of facing what we don't want to face in order to experience, learn and therefore change.

A complete reversal of what is normal, but at the same time is intended even though it pains to do so. Going against what may feel naturally right. What a sad situation to be in.

Strange2

Digging in the dirt

Unlike many Hanged Man cards that depict a serene and resigned person, here Blake's imagery strongly emphasizes the struggle when facing a change in circumstances and direction. Urizen is forced to face a new view; in fact his face is nearly planted in the earth. Perhaps it is the mysteries of the grave he is forced to behold, presaging the next phase of the journey in card XIII – Transformation. I am reminded of Peter Gabriel's gritty analytical song "Digging in the Dirt".

”Something in me, dark and sticky
All the time it's getting strong
No way of dealing with this feeling
Can't go on like this too long

I'm digging in the dirt
Stay with me I need support
I'm digging in the dirt
To find the places I got hurt
To open up the places I got hurt”

How the mighty have fallen! Although his life has turned upside down, Urizen has not given in and seems strong, ready to dig in the dirt to find buried treasures, the alchemical gold.

Moonbow

I like the 'digging in dirt' analogy Strange, and the song will always remind me of that card now (or the other way around).

I found this to be quite a powerful card and also the painting itself to be very strong... also sad. After working my way through the deck and getting to grips with what Buryn says in the book, it will be after that, that I can get a better understanding of the cards for myself.

I'll keep working on the cards slowly as I'm trying to read up on Blake at the same time, (as well as other things that I'm doing right now).

Nice to see you are still hanging in there!