Witchy Tarot - 4 of Flames

xhollysue

This card shows a young Witch sleeping next to a fire, with her crystal, dagger and bell nearby. There are leaves surrounding her on the ground, and a rat nibbling at her toes.

It was hard for me to get any meaning out of this card at first. Mostly because I didn't know anything about rat symbolism. So I searched online for any reference to Rats in wiccan or pagan beliefs and couldn't find anything.

Finally, I resorted to my favorite book ever, "Animal Speak" by Ted Andrews.

According to Animal Speak the Rat is a symbol of shrewdness, industry, adaptability, success and *restlessness.* A lot of this is due to Chinese mythology, and the fact that the first year in Chinese astrology is assigned to the rat. Why do we use rats for biological testing? Because they adapt. They survive. They never give up. Remember the term "rat race"? The rat runs and runs until he succeeds, he adapts as the maze changes, he learns! Rats are truly kick-ass!

So in this card, I see a witch who was working on a project (because all of her tools are out) and she has become exhausted and decided to take a break.

But! The restless rat, driven for success, nibbles on her vulnerable toes as she sleeps. Why the toes I wonder? Because our feet are our tools for forward movement? Maybe if she had her shoes on she wouldn't be so vulnerable?

I would read this card as a need to respond to that niggling in your mind, that nagging, that you need to act with urgency. No time for rest! No time to waste! It's time to get to work! The leaves are already falling to the ground - harvest time is here! If you wait too long, it will be winter and your harvest will be lost!

I think I would read it reversed as an unwillingness to take needed rest. In the reversed position the rat would succeed in waking her up and driving her hard until she burns out.

And, the suit is flames. So "burning out" is an interesting term in association with the card. Even though she sleeps, her fire, her ambition, still burns. I imagine her dreaming of her success and advancement - that even in her dreams her work is being done.