Witchy Tarot - The Moon

xhollysue

I think the Moon is one of the most beautiful cards in this deck, and rightfully so; the Moon is the ultimate symbol of the Goddess of pagan tradition.

Classically portrayed in many ways, this card has a Moon so luminous that I half-wonder if it glows in the dark. There are two walls with a field running between them (similar to the two towers of RWS imagery). Before them stand two witches with a dog standing behind either of them. The foreground shows a toad in a lilypad in the middle of a pond. The LWB has the keyword of "Toad" for this card.

Frogs and toads, for the record, follow similar meaning to each other in cultural and spiritual use, and are therefore used interchangeably here. As I've mentioned in other threads for this deck, frog/toad is a symbol for transformation (from tadpole to amphibian) as well as the ability to return to that which originally nurtured us (water) after we've adapted to real life (land). Frog teaches that we are free to flow between consciousness and unconsciousness forever. Which follows the traditional meaning for the Moon card anyways.

Something interesting about this card is the hounds that are shown with the witches. Now I know that dogs/hounds are classically depicted on this card, but it also brings to mind the Greek moon Goddess Hecate - Goddess of the Dark Moon, sometimes referred to as the she-dog or bitch, who always had 2 dogs as her companions. Among other things, she guarded/haunted crossroads. (This info from Wikipedia)

Leaving the land of the Moon is somewhat of a crossroads, especially if one intends to cross back over (like the frog). Be wary of the crossroads, and do not attempt it in the darkness of New Moon. Wait until you have the sun and moon working in harmony to provide you some light - or bring consciousness in your efforts to explore the unconscious to create a more meaningful experience.