World and Judgment quickies.

LovelyMissAries

I never know what to say when I draw The World (or Judgment)! It's a much more dimensional card than just "Oh, this is ending." Other than endings (in a positive way), I know it can mean travel. Speaking of endings, what's the difference between Death and the World's version of endings? I've seen a lot of people be overjoyed about the World card appearing, but my reaction to it is "So what? It's an ending... and then you have The Fool, and it starts all over again." I'm thinking if I perhaps understood it better that I'd understand why it's so great.

Secondly, Judgment. Judgment day... forgiveness, being in denial (when it's reversed), letting go, for some reason the interpretations for this card cannot stick with me simply like the others. You know when you draw The Empress, for example, the message is to relax and pamper yourself or to be patient because you're going to get an abundance of something (x,y,z) soon. I draw Judgment and it takes effort for me to think of how to include it in the reading.

More opinions on this, please and thank you. :)

Soaring Eagle

I never know what to say when I draw The World (or Judgment)! It's a much more dimensional card than just "Oh, this is ending." Other than endings (in a positive way), I know it can mean travel. Speaking of endings, what's the difference between Death and the World's version of endings? I've seen a lot of people be overjoyed about the World card appearing, but my reaction to it is "So what? It's an ending... and then you have The Fool, and it starts all over again." I'm thinking if I perhaps understood it better that I'd understand why it's so great.

For me, the World signifies a completion. You have completed one phase of your life. I don't think this necessarily means ending, as your life will continue.

Secondly, Judgment. Judgment day... forgiveness, being in denial (when it's reversed), letting go, for some reason the interpretations for this card cannot stick with me simply like the others. You know when you draw The Empress, for example, the message is to relax and pamper yourself or to be patient because you're going to get an abundance of something (x,y,z) soon. I draw Judgment and it takes effort for me to think of how to include it in the reading.

For me, Judgement is an awakening. You need to be aware of your surroundings, possibly seek spiritual assistance. You may be faced with a difficult decision, but if you look inside yourself you know the answer.

Those are just my opinions. I like to see these cards come up in readings, I've never really had a problem understanding them. There are others that are more troubling for me to understand, though.

LovelyMissAries

For me, the World signifies a completion. You have completed one phase of your life. I don't think this necessarily means ending, as your life will continue.

Ending/completion... same difference. Is there any other meaning to it besides that, and travel?

For me, Judgement is an awakening. You need to be aware of your surroundings, possibly seek spiritual assistance. You may be faced with a difficult decision, but if you look inside yourself you know the answer.

So it's a card of... relief, perhaps?

Those are just my opinions. I like to see these cards come up in readings, I've never really had a problem understanding them. There are others that are more troubling for me to understand, though.

Hey, don't discount your opinions saying 'just'. They're as valid as anyone else's! I understand them on their own but in context with other cards, Judgment especially, gets fuzzy.

Soaring Eagle

I didn't explain myself very well, sorry. Here are some entries that I took from my journal. I am using the Vision Quest deck as my IDS to really get reaquainted with the deck, so my journal was handy.

Ending/completion... same difference. Is there any other meaning to it besides that, and travel?

Everything is going right for you. You need to cut away all the dead wood and begin a new path in life. This is a good time to achieve your goals. You are entering a period of success in all areas of your life. New opportunities arrive.

So it's a card of... relief, perhaps?

You may be visited by someone from your past. How you handle karmic issues will affect your life during this time. You may experience a change of job or home. This is a good time to make travel plans. You may feel the need to study a new spiritual path. You will face an unpleasant but necessary decision.

You could definately say it is a "relief" card at times for me.

Hey, don't discount your opinions saying 'just'. They're as valid as anyone else's! I understand them on their own but in context with other cards, Judgment especially, gets fuzzy.

I know there are many more experienced readers than I, especially as I had a long break from tarot, and am recently getting back to what matters to me and that includes tarot.

I have had these cards come up quite a bit lately in readings. Judgement in these situations has meant that the person was needing to look inside themselves as they knew the answer and each time the person said that yes, they knew but were afraid to trust themselves. The world in several readings recently has meant that the sitter was completing a phase in their life or a project they were working on.

I hope this helps you a little more.

starrystarrynight

My view of it: For the World, one whole phase of some energy cycle is coming to completion. So, say you are dating someone and doing a reading about it, and you draw the world card for the outcome or future position. It would strongly suggest (to me) that you will be moving on from that [dating] phase to the next one (either getting engaged and married or breaking up.) [The rest of the cards in the spread coupled with your own intuition should suggest to you which is the more likely scenario.]

Judgment, to me, is the step right before getting to the World part of the energy cycle, so you are only on the brink of ending something when this one turns up. Therefore, with Judgment, you are still at the point where you are stopping to take stock of where you stand and where you may be headed. Sometimes, Judgment says you have to atone for or go back and (re)learn from previous acts in the energy cycle before you can get through to the World's completion energy. Maybe others will be judging you, as well, when this card shows up. And this card might suggest you'll have to "fix" something or make some big realization (the Aha! moment) before you can finally move on. So, to me, it's the rite of passage from summing up (for yourself) all that came before, fixing what may need to be fixed, and then moving on to the end and completing the cycle with the World card.

There are times that this pair of cards can suggest physical death, as well--but that would not be my "go-to" thought, and I'd have to see a lot of other cards that would lead me to that suspicion.

Thirteen

Endings that you bring about in order to move on

As Starry pointed out, with the World only a phase has ended. You go back to the Fool only because you're beginning on the next phase, like in those computer games where you finally win the and are done with some level and get to move on to the next level. You're not done with the game, you've just moved up to the next level. Likewise with the World. You graduate High School and go on to college or job training. You finish that and go into a job. You start at a low level of the job. You complete that and go to a new, higher level. Each of those is a turn of the world.

And that is what the world signifies. Wisdom, knowledge, graduation, achievement. As well as travel. Mastery, if you like, of something so that you can now teach it.

Judgement is about dealing with something you haven't dealt with and letting it go. You forgive or ask for forgiveness. You face a truth you haven't faced, or admit a lie you haven't admitted. Something is keeping you Earthbound and you finally release yourself with it so that you can move on.

And just to add to all these, there's Death. Which says that something is going to come to an end whether you like it or not, and you'll have to go through a period of grief over that, but something new will take it's place. The big difference is, with Death--unlike the World or Judgement, you don't want it to end and may not expect it to end. Death is an event that happens to you and makes you sad. Judgement and the World are things you bring to an end in order to move on.

PAMUYA

World: Ending yes, but an ending that one has become enriched, learned lessons, ready to move on to the next stage of life journeys. I have had the World to mean actual death, moving on to what ever is your personal belief (heaven, reincarnation), this life has ended. Death card is letting go, this path is leading no where, I have yet had a reading where the Death card has meant actual death.

Judgement: This is one card that I personally can relate to. The moment when you can look inside and forgive one's self, and move on. It is time to come out of the shadows, stand up for yourself, and take a stand. You are self assured, you know what is right for you. You have learned the lessons of past mistakes and have released the guilt and sorrow, a time of good health both physcial and mental. I have also had this mean an openess to spirit, you are ready to move forward.

SunChariot

Ok, that depends on how you choose to read the cards. We do not all have the exact same meanings for them.

For example, The World has nothing at all to do with endings (or travel) for me. It is simply the highest best version of the experience possible. The apex of the experience. The most perfect version of it imaginable. The best outcome you could possibly imagine, and maybe even better than you imagined. Eg in a love-related question it's a true karmic soulmate love, the kind that makes you the best you can be and joyous to be alive. The perfect relationship for you....

Death for me DOES mean an ending, but it means something will end because it must so that something better can come and take its place (so there is always that glimmer of hope at the end to hang onto,that knowledge that somethign better will come from it).

The Fool for me represents a childlike (childlike not childish) state of innocence and trust and faith in life. the faith of a child who knows he is totally protected in life and had not yet had any experiences that made him doubt or question that. The term "Fool" is tongue in cheek to me as that state of total trust in life is, in my world view, the wisest state to be in.

Ok Judgment. To me it is a looking back over the situation, thinking over everything you did (and did not do but could have), seeing how things turned out. It's a looking back over the situation in question and reassessing what worked well and what did not....what you shoudl continue doing to get to your desired outcome and what it would be better to let go of and stop doing.

It's just a looking back, seeing what worked and what didn't and deciding what to keep and what to let go of, what to change and what to keep doing in the same ways.

Those are my general meanings.

Babs

angellady

the world before judgement

And if the World comes first, before Judgement, in a relationship reading…and a 3rd card supports both the World and Judgement, more so it appears, as an ending to the relationship…how would that be interpreted? (I still realize it could mean the ending of some phase in the relationship and they could be moving forward in a new direction with eachother, although, it really doesn’t feel like that’s what the cards are saying.)

The World (earth) and Judgement (fire) are friendly to each other, so they both have strength in the reading.

Yet, since Judgement is before the World in the major arcana…what is this telling me?

The world “could be” saying that both parties are feeling the energy shifting in the relationship and that their work is done. That it has run its course and it is the end of the relationship. Both know that it has gone as far as it can, they’ve learned their karmic lessons and feel that it is time to move forward and onto something new. So here would be completion for both parties, as opposed to other cards that might indicate only one party wants to move on.

Judgement coming after the world card, “could be” telling me that they both still have a lot to review and learn regarding the relationship…what worked and what didn’t work, even "after" both parties feel that it needed to end? Both are working on taking stock, reviewing what happened, letting go…perhaps one or both wronged the other and need to ask for forgiveness. At the same time, both are looking forward to new beginnings. May be getting the enlightenment needed to move on, more so, after a break-up?