The 25th Rune....

Malachite

For those of you who use runes...

personally, i refuse to use a blank rune.. (i tried it, and it didn't work for me...)
However, I do have my own 25th rune, with my own representative symbol...it stands for my beliefs, and also for the path of following wisdom...yes, there is a link...and suprisingly enough, its written on malachite...(although its not the rune for myself in readings...odd, that)
Even though it doesn't pop up that often, i find it answers its questions very aptly...

Does anyone else use a unique rune, and if so, why...

Kiama

Damn, I really should use my Runes more.

Anyway, when I was using them regularly, I used the blank Rune. I don't think I would now. BUt back then to me, it symbolised the blank page on which we couldwrite our own story. Not fate, as some say, as I don't think fate has ultimate control over us. It was also sometimes that which could not or would not be seen at the time.

If I were to get back into using stones of some form, such as Runes, I would probably have my own symbol on there. Possibly an amalgamation (In other words a mess) of bits and bobs. A pictogram in a way.

When I get the time, I think I'll make my own symbol Rune.

Kiama

jade

i love the blank rune.

blank the end, blank the beginning.

i love those 'non-written in stone' moments in time when you can change the course of your life forever.

ahhhhhhhhhh :)

love and light,
jade

Malachite

Yay...people are replying...

or at least people who arent Kiama...(;-))

Jade...I like the way you described what the blank rune means to you...
it almost makes me want to go back to using it...(mustbestrongmustbestrong)
I have no objection to people using a blank rune, dont get me wrong, i just choose not to use one myself, since it doesn't mean so much to me...

btw, does anyone have any interesting castings/methods to share on runes?

nexyjo

jade (29 Oct, 2001 12:44):
i love the blank rune.

blank the end, blank the beginning.

i love those 'non-written in stone' moments in time when you can change the course of your life forever.

ahhhhhhhhhh :)

love and light,
jade
jade, your post sent shivers down my spine. wow!
luv and light,
nexy

New River

i love drawing the blank rune. for me it represents unlimited potential.

i don't use spreads with the runes, but like to draw one out every morning for guidance. i love seeing how many times it's symbol shows up for me that day. they have taught me so much.

love, light and magic, New river

einhverfr

THe 25th Rune

First, there is no reason to think that this was a part of traditional Runic divination outside the Old English Futhorc (which had either 29 or 33 staves depending on where and when). And there it was not blank.

One thing to remember is that the Norse concept of fate was fairly flexible, given certain constraints. Every moment has unlimited potential, and every moment presents another opportunity to change the course of events, whether by galdr/magic or by simply rising up above the circumstances and making a conscious action to change things.

I usually describe the Norse concept of fate like that of purposefully dropping a coffee cup. Once you decide to do that, certain things are put in motion. The coffee cup might break, and who knows what ramifications it will have on things that didn't previously seem related. (So, assuming you are a married man, you clean up the coffee off the floor and mop it, and your wife walks in just as you finish, and is really impressed that you are mopping the floor of your own initiative-- this is just a tacky example.) With more complicated actions, the effects may reverberate across the lives of more people, and may come back in stranger ways. Indeed, we create our own fate-- it is sort of like a non-judgemental version of karma.

But some people find the blank lot useful. Just the key is that there is no reason to think that it was done this way traditionally and plenty of reason to thing it was not.

crystal dawn

Runic Astrology and Casting via the old path

The 24 runes of the Elder Futhark can be related to the 24 hour day and even are divided into runic half monthes (fortnightly intervals). You can work out your birth runes from these and create a runic horoscope. Also the 28 anglo - saxon runes can be related to the phases of the moon.

If casting the runes via the old path by scattering them onto a cloth and you wish to incoorperate the blank rune then any runes that the blank rune falls next to shows that this rune has a very important message for you or the querent. If the runes next to the blank rune are face down then the meaning of the runes next to it are destined to happen. If the blank does not land near any of the runes then all of the runes have a message of equal importance for you or the querent and the blank can be disreguarded from the reading. Just a suggestion.
blessings

crystal dawn

caridwen

Don't use a blank rune as it's not part of the traditional runic alphabet. Perthro is good enough to represent secrets and mysteries. Blume made up the blank rune which was in his rune kit and he didn't know what it was for (it was to replace missing runes).

crystal dawn

Though as most sets for sale (for those not wishing to make their own runes) include a blank rune my last post gave a suggestion on how that could be included in a cast - I personally believe that the 24 runes of the elder futhark are sacred in number and = 24 hours in a day = 24 runic half monthes in runic astrology and that forms the runic year. Though I sometimes use the Northumbrian runes myself, I still respect the 24 fold system of the elder futhark . Though the elder futhark is a 24 fold system, it does not exclude the use of the blank rune for those who wish to use it.

blessings

crystal dawn