Rune Study: Gebo

Umbrae

Gebo:
“gay-boe” Looks like an X
Gift (provided and/or received).
Generosity and hospitality (Fehu).
Giving and taking. Sacrifice (of/to) the gods.
Pledge/bond/binding (friendship loyalty, hospitality). Sealing an alliance, generosity, and advice.
Credit, honor, dignity bestowed (or given).

Out here in western culture (there is a joke there) we abuse the saying “It is better to give than receive”; having on concept of what we just invoked.

In the early Germanic cultures, the ability to give of oneself (please re-read the thread on Fehu) to others was meaningful (beyond modern words). The ability to receive was important. It served to seal alliances (including marrige), dictate loyalty and trueness, bond your tribal members to you. [It was dishonorable to survive a battle where your ring-giver was killed.] To break a ring bond was disaster (re-read Beowulf).

Generosity is a chief virtue. Nowadays we have cheapend it by giving it a word like ‘charity’, I don’t want your charity, but I will enjoy your generosity…
To give freely is the only way to truly gain, as you are blessing and sacrificing. It is about ‘right-action’.

Gebo is of equal importance between the homeless wanderer and his host (as both are honored). Without the existence of the homeless wanderer, the host has no outlet by which his generosity can be exercised! The wander gets shelter from the icy north, the host gains weal of right action.
It was also said the Odhinn wandered the earth in the guise of a one-eyed homeless wanderer…so the next time a transient holds his hand out…think.

Gebo is about sacrificing to your Gods. Not simple supplication, but binding of the love that forges relationships between you and your Gods (ever wonder why folks pray and pray and their Gods never aid them?).

All matters in relation to exchanges, including contracts, personal relationships and partnerships. Wyrd experience in the offing. Magical exchange.

Every act requires a payment of some sort. You cannot gain without a loss. “Giving Under”, to sacrifice self to become greater.

Merkstave
Greed, over-sacrifice

As a person, it would represent someone involved it Hotels, restaurants, non-profit org.

Umbrae

I often think of Gebo as being similar in many ways to the Six of Pentacles, but more intense.

Malachite

I usually refer to this rune as Gifu, (Gee-foo) with a hard g...
I just think it sounds better, and its just as original, so...

I see in the X shape of the rune, the crossed hands of blood-brothers, or wedded partners.
An equal exchange of devotion and support.

However, that doesn't mean that the rune couldn't be misrepresented in a reading. In theory, it refers to love, and the influence that brings...so a love reading without Gifu could indicate a rather cynical, unromantic relationship...
On the other hand, in a reading unrelated to love and romance, Gifu could signify trustworthiness, an unlikeliness of betrayal.

zorya

Umbrae said:

Gebo is about sacrificing to your Gods. Not simple supplication, but binding of the love that forges relationships between you and your Gods (ever wonder why folks pray and pray and their Gods never aid them?).

could we please elaborate on this?
i've spent the last couple of days pondering what "sacrificing to your Gods", might mean in contemporary terms.

at the risk of seeming obtuse, here are some of the things, i have considered.
1. literal offerings
2.bonding with the runes using blood.
3.giving part of your day to your Gods. being constantly aware of your Gods. (this one just doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice)
4. the releasings and letting go's that are required for growth and evolution.
5.giving of self to others. (seems too indirect)

maybe i'm struggling with this because of the way i view the word "sacrifice". must a sacrifice be experienced as something painful? "binding of the love"; doesn't that make it less painful?
if a sacrifice becomes a pleasure, does it then lose its value? if so, are you then required to make deeper and larger sacifices?

Kiama

Malachite said:
In theory, it refers to love, and the influence that brings...so a love reading without Gifu could indicate a rather cynical, unromantic relationship...

Or maybe it could be saying that one or both partners are not giving of theselves as much as they need to? Sometimes this comes to mind for me when this Rune turns up next to a 'Blockage Rune', eg- Nied, Hagall, Isa...

Kiama

Umbrae

Gifu/Gebo. It is such a positive rune, a rune of giving and receiving. Sure, it has merkstave issues, however when it comes up in a casting it usually means goodness. “I see in the X shape of the rune, the crossed hands of blood-brothers, or wedded partners. An equal exchange of devotion and support”, is accurate. Next to a blockage rune, (more about that later) it can have a more negative meaning. However, usually it is positive.
Sacrificing to your Gods, think of the Hanged Man. To gain, you have to give; giving of up a part of your ego. The issue of attaining spit consciousness has the affect of giving of your ego. To get what you want by helping other get what they want. To give freely, wanting nothing in return, ultimately provides a return.
There is an old saying, to get the dividends in life, you must first make the investment.
This also means you must accept graciously what is given. Graciousness is something rarely practiced in today’s world.

zorya

now i get it! thank you umbrae!

Umbrae

Gifu/Gebo

It is said, that Odhinn walks this world; in the guise of a homeless man, a wanderer. He may have only one eye. He may appear crazy or soiled. But he is Odhinn still the same.
He is here to test us.
Should you be generous, gracious, you will be rewarded.
Should you be callous and rude…?
Something to remember during your daily life…what if?

Rhiannon

I like this rune, this was my daily draw for today. And I am happy.

R :)

Umbrae

Umbrae said:
Gebo:
“gay-boe” Looks like an X
Gift (provided and/or received).
Generosity and hospitality (Fehu).
Giving and taking. Sacrifice (of/to) the gods.
Pledge/bond/binding (friendship loyalty, hospitality). Sealing an alliance, generosity, and advice.
Credit, honor, dignity bestowed (or given).

Out here in western culture (there is a joke there) we abuse the saying “It is better to give than receive”; having on concept of what we just invoked.

In the early Germanic cultures, the ability to give of oneself (please re-read the thread on Fehu) to others was meaningful (beyond modern words). The ability to receive was important. It served to seal alliances (including marrige), dictate loyalty and trueness, bond your tribal members to you. [It was dishonorable to survive a battle where your ring-giver was killed.] To break a ring bond was disaster (re-read Beowulf).

Generosity is a chief virtue. Nowadays we have cheapend it by giving it a word like ‘charity’, I don’t want your charity, but I will enjoy your generosity…
To give freely is the only way to truly gain, as you are blessing and sacrificing. It is about ‘right-action’.

Gebo is of equal importance between the homeless wanderer and his host (as both are honored). Without the existence of the homeless wanderer, the host has no outlet by which his generosity can be exercised! The wander gets shelter from the icy north, the host gains weal of right action.
It was also said the Odhinn wandered the earth in the guise of a one-eyed homeless wanderer…so the next time a transient holds his hand out…think.

All matters in relation to exchanges, including contracts, personal relationships and partnerships. Wyrd experience in the offing. Magical exchange.

Every act requires a payment of some sort. You cannot gain without a loss. “Giving Under”, to sacrifice self to become greater.

Merkstave
Greed, over-sacrifice

As a person, it would represent someone involved it Hotels, restaurants, non-profit org.