MAAT Study Group-Prince of Swords

juliecucciawatts

Week of the Autumnal Equinox

Prince of Swords

Planetary ruler Venus

The image for the Prince of Swords is a young warrior sword in hand just about to take his revenge. Someone or something he loves has been threatened and his reaction is anger a n d violence. His rage can make him an unstable force. He has lost touch with his feminine side as well as his partner. This prince does not realize that he and the land are ONE. He does not understand that what he does to others he also does to himself. He can blame an entire race for the crimes of a few. He is the creator of the Wasteland. His fears and pain have made him cruel. His mortality is the gift that removes tyranny and allows life to renew itself.

His way is patriotism instead of fraternity, brute force instead of diplomacy. He still believes Might is Right.

Have you ever felt so angry that you thought you were going to break something? Anger comes up when we feel victimized in some way. Have you ever been confronted by someone who is enraged? Most people's first reaction might be to meet that anger with more anger or with irritation. But what if we met that anger with the knowledge that this person has never felt more like a victim then right now. How would we like to be treated if we were angry? What if we reacted to someone else's rage with empathy? Next time you are a witness to rage take a moment to understand instead of self- protecting.

Traditional tarot meaning: a mature man with brown hair, the zodiac sign Libra, the archetypical warrior.

In a Reading: This card represents an angry person whose pain has made them overly sensitive and unbalanced. The rage and attitude he slings is his protection. The brick wall he or she has built up around them is protecting them from being hurt again. Trust will have to be established before communication and healing can take place.

Attachments

• prince of swords.jpg
    prince of swords.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 236

Skydancer

Since the week of the Autumn Equinox is my birthday week I feel especially close to this time of year. And this year the full moon followed shortly afterwards. Very nice.

I want to comment on this card yet can't find any words. Maybe - what balances it? I have been in/near many an over-heated arguement in my time, and I'm the one who brings calm, keeps them apart, gets people to settle down, get them to see that the other person has a point of view too. I am never in the arguements - so your advice about not being 'self protecting" doesn't seem to apply.

But now that I think a moment - maybe I am being self protecting in my zeal to bring peace to disagreements. (Not all, mind you, but some of the ones that have evolved when I've been present.) Maybe that's my way of keeping safe; help get others to lessen their emotional envolvement so that rational thought can surface. I never thought of that before. --

Well - thinking about this card has brought me a new way of looking at things. At how I handle high emotion. :)

Ann
*S*

juliecucciawatts

Prince of Swords balancing card

Skydancer said:
Since the week of the Autumn Equinox is my birthday week I feel especially close to this time of year. And this year the full moon followed shortly afterwards. Very nice.

I want to comment on this card yet can't find any words. Maybe - what balances it? I have been in/near many an over-heated arguement in my time, and I'm the one who brings calm, keeps them apart, gets people to settle down, get them to see that the other person has a point of view too. I am never in the arguements - so your advice about not being 'self protecting" doesn't seem to apply.

But now that I think a moment - maybe I am being self protecting in my zeal to bring peace to disagreements. (Not all, mind you, but some of the ones that have evolved when I've been present.) Maybe that's my way of keeping safe; help get others to lessen their emotional envolvement so that rational thought can surface. I never thought of that before. --

Well - thinking about this card has brought me a new way of looking at things. At how I handle high emotion. :)

Ann
*S*

Hi Ann,
The balancing card for the Prince of Swords would be the Prince of Cups, the knight in shining armor. A hero of the moment but he's completely encased by his armor, the really impenetrable emotionally reflective guy.What you get with him is what you want to see... the Prince of Swords may be in your face but at least what you see is what you get with him. With MAAT Tarot you will always forced to observe the 'good' in the 'evil' as well as the 'evil' in the 'good'.

I like your take on this as one who choses to mediate...wonder where your natal moon is and how that applies.
Julie

Skydancer

Hi!!
I looked in a table recently and it says my moon is/was in Gemini. What would that mean??

*S*

juliecucciawatts

Skydancer said:
Hi!!
I looked in a table recently and I think my moon is in Sagitarius. What would that mean??

*S*

It is going to put you right between the 2 of Swords new moon in Libra(balance) and the 3 of Swords First Quarter moon in Capricorn.(broken heart) Closer to the 3 first quarter in Capricorn. Making you a creative person usually always working on one thing or another( waxing moon) You have had your share of pain so you empathize (30S) and will be someone people will go to for solving issues(20S) "the wise woman in the Inuit story." Interesting.

Julie

Skydancer

uh-oh - I may have had my info wrong. I reposted but you were away.

But what you said above does SO apply to me. Hmmm ... Guess I'll have to do a proper natal chart to know for sure.

*S*

juliecucciawatts

Skydancer said:
Hi!!
I looked in a table recently and it says my moon is/was in Gemini. What would that mean??

*S*
okay Gemini is going to be closer to 4 of Swords (last quarter moon in Cancer) a waning moon which is an unraveler whatever moons we have, has both positive and negative qualities...I think the most positive quality of the waning moon personality is their ability to unravel things, learn from and let go of things, this means you have knowledge of the ideal (full Moon) and take that with you into the darkness. Your moon is on the brighter side of that last quarter still has influence from the full moon in Aries the maimed king. Meaning you natal moon possesses qualities of both the 4 and the King of swords. Maybe you should tell me. As the key phrase for Gemini moon is "I think".
Julie

Penthasilia

IDS Prince of Swords

Title/Number: Prince of Swords/3

Picture: please see the first post for an uploaded image

First Impression: Anger floats off the young man in the picture, as he threatens another with his sword. What did the other man do to cause such rage? Will he end up taking his life?

Description: An angry, young, dark-haired man is standing above a figure who is mostly hidden, lying on the ground. The figure is hold an arm up, as if to stop the young man's attack. The young man is grabbing the arm to stop him, pressing a sword to the figure below. The young man is dressed in a linen sumo-style wrap, with a matching band across his head, seeming like a warrior. The sky behind him is cloudy and red, the building fading into the backdrop of a red/black sky.

Masculine/Feminine/Neutral: Masculine

Colors: Red, black, white and blue

Senses: you can smell and taste the sweat with an underlying metallic taste. You can smell the stagnant air and hear the grunting and heavy breathing of struggle. You feel the tightened muscles, the anger/rage and heavy humidity in the air.

Symbols: sword, warrior garb, red sky

Story: He is so angry, red clouds his vision as he presses the sword down. He hasn't thought through once of the consequences of hurting or killing his enemy, all has been lost to hot-tempered and out of control aggression. He wants to give pain, to lash out and most of all to feel the release of his anger by the fruition of this act. He is too far gone for reasoning or pleading, he will finish it!

Astrologic: the week of the autumn equinox

Element: Fire

Keywords: unbalanced aggression, rage, brute force

Meanings: hot-headed, aggressive, a young unmarried man with brown hair, Gemini

Quote: "Might makes right!"

Kimber

Pentasilhia (I'm sure I massacred thne spelling - please forgive me!!),

I enjoyed your post on this Prince, and I get the same type of feeling from him. He is rash and doesn't think things through before he acts. His challenge is to learn that it's not "all about him". Until he can master his emotions and learn some compassion, and become a little less self-centered, he's not going to make the best decisions.

Kimber

annik

In his position, this knight of swords doesn't need any armor! He have the upper hand on his opponent. This knight gives me a sense of overempowering. He is ready to finish the job without guilt or any second thought. But I also see this kind of attitude is sometimes needed. (It show that my ascendant is Gemini...lol)