A new Transformational tarot?

Cerulean

I've not seen much other than the packaging and highlights.

There is distinctive suggestion of this being an art tarot with psychological archetypes...it has swirly images and suggestions that it highlights some less aggressive traits than some traditional masculine characterizations. I'm thinking it has less of the soldier-military-court terms of traditional tarots and replaces them with mythic characters...but it doesn't come right out and say pagan or celtic, even though it mentions 'The Green Man' as one of the characters.

I don't know what to think of it, perhaps it's more a relational theme tarot.

http://www.jasmincori.com/html/Tarot_opening.htm

truthsayer

I MUST HAVE THIS DECK! BWAHAHAHAHA! it'sssssss mine...it'sssssssss mine.....my pppreccccciousssssssssssss!

earth calling truthsayer!
OH!!

ahem...very nice deck. i'll be on the look out for it. something about it is reminiscent of susan siddon boulet. i checked out a few other links on the site for the artist and writer. nice sites. great designs by willow.

where was i? oh, yes! })

muwahahahaha!!!!!! my precioussssssssss! me wants it! me wantsssssssssss it!

juice

OK I went to the website from above link. I like this deck. I'm not sure if it is the one I just picked up at the half price store. The one I picked up had the same or simular name. The one I got had 99 or 100 cards and extra suits and the website didn't mention that many changes that different from the regular system. Now my curiosity is itching me. It is going to be hard to review this deck since a bad storm went through and my computer at home doesn't turn on any more. Yeah net access at work.

Ophiel

Weiser's Review of this Deck

Ah, I have the Weiser/Red Wheel catalog and perhaps can provide more information on this deck...

As this deck was released in December, 2002, it is HIGHLY unlikely it would have yet appeared in a Half Price store. Wesier needs to recoup their costs, and huge profits before selling it off to the Half Price store. lol.

It says that this is a 78 card deck and that the Major Arcana cards are renamed and redefined for our time.

Here's the write up:

"For centuries, people have been using - and adapting - the 78 cards of the tarot to point the way in their lives. Now from psychologist Cori, and artist Arlenea, comes a brand new deck, not so much for telling what will be, but for helping us focus on what can be.

While gently counseling readers to accept what is, "The Tarot of Transformation" encourages readers to get in touch with their own creativity and passion. This new interpretation, steeped in tradition but vibrating with contemporary appeal, offers new possibilities for guidance and change.

Arlenea and Cori have rendered the system of archetypes in the major arcana anew for our times - the traditional Emperor becomes the Green Man, which presents male authority not as a ruler, but as an intimate, natural fathering role. The Empress is Earth Mother. The usually male role Hierophant becomes a group of spiritual teachers. "The Tarot of Transformation" speaks to this age and its challenges. With brilliant colors and powerfully evocative symbols, Arlenea's images are modern, cross-cultural, and visionary.

In the accompanying book, Cori draws from an eclectic blend of spiritual traditions including Buddhism, Hinduism, Vipassana meditation, and Karma Yoga, as well as psychotherapeutic approaches, such as Gestault, Bioenergetics, and the Haokomi Method to describe the meaning of each card."

Cerulean

the artist website/other similar titles

1. This deck hasn't been released in December 2002 and my local bookstore is still waiting on the title. The one that I am referring to has text by Jasmin Lee Cori. However I found more scans of cards and nice write-ups by the painter, Willow Arleanea.
Might be a little too watercolor-washy for some, I thought it was a nice and different take for me. I'm starting to do some paintings so I like the painted technique:

http://www.designsbywillow.com/site/25-NewAge.html

2. Thanks for the catalog information Ophiel...sorry to the half.com shopper who seems to have bought a deck with a similar name by two other writers. The older 100 card deck, quite different art, is reviewed below:

http://www.astroamerica.com/t-trans.html

3. I hope people also don't mistake this title for the limited edition/U.S. Games acquired deck by Arnell Ando.

Cerulean

Received deck on 3/3/03

Okay, on 3-3-03 I received my order from Jasmin Lee Cori's site for the painted tarot . I see that Willow Arlenea designed many of the paintings already. She asked Jasmin Lee Cori to write and collaborate on the work to shape it into a tarot.
Willow Arlenea's site posted before has most of the paintings---I'm still exploring this fresh-off-boat (fob) deck. The dock strikes of previous months resulted in delays...so four months of waiting as I looked at the sites every week to see what I found so intriguing and curious.
Both the author and artist have eclectic but very inspirational backgrounds. In another place or time, I would have been glad to write or paint like either of them. Being a Gemini in this time and place, both sides of me want to be as talented as both of them right away.
I believe those who liked the Triple Goddess Tarot might find this within their delight range...if you like the Osho Zen inspirational bent and Sacred Geometry Oracle of Francis Hart, this has these things as well. There is a color framing of different suits and majors.
Now those who like clear, vibrant images of the Fey may find these a bit too abstract and merging. The purists of history may find the variations and keywords a little too modern... the palette is vibrant, liquid and merges into darker frames. I actually like to paint a little in this style--but I do faces in pen and my watercolor palettes tend to be lighter washes of blues, greens, yellows in my final work...the lack of facial detail in this tarot is refreshing to me. It allows my imagination to work.
I'm going to try to finish two readings up this week using this deck. The paintings for others will probably be available to locate and I can assist by quoting key phrases of the text.

HudsonGray

I like them, though the Opening To Angels card looks like a silverfish is running across the sky (I just squished one in the bathroom sink). The colors on the dark background look a lot more vibrant than the first URL posted showed them.

Cerulean

If I pull this in a reading, what you said will make me smile. At least there's someone sharing your abode while freezing your tush off in Michigan (I'm reading the side note on your avatar).

If asked, I'll say insect life in this painting as well could be visualized as a heavenly agent...I know sometimes when I'm very tired and in a kayak, having a skimmer with transparent wings show up helps. I'm the slowest boat out there, but the safest one afloat for an insect to rest.

Actually, this brings up the idea of using the colors and abstractness in the paintings for symbolic meditation. Jasmin Lee Cori talks about this in the book that comes with the deck and I'll post after I read more...thanks for the feedback.

Jewel

truthsayer said:
muwahahahaha!!!!!! my precioussssssssss! me wants it! me wantsssssssssss it!

~giggles~ I agree with you Truthsayer! I wants it too! Have you found out where to order it yet? and how much it costs.

truthsayer

you must have this deck but not my precioussssssss!

i now have this little beauty in my furry little paws! i must tell you all that i love this deck totally so far. the art is abstract but so me. it reminds me of susan siddon boulet's art but not as powerful as SSB's but certainly compelling. i have ewwed and awwed this one so long that i haven't even gotten thru the deck. i do hope i can read with this one. if i can, it'll give my neferteri a run for her money...hehehehe! my ppppprreeeeeccccccccioussssssssss!...mumble...mumble...bwahahaha!