The meaning of the hourglass?

sharpchick

Fudugazi said:
Now that's interesting! What kind of spells?

The one I have (but have not used) uses tarot cards, candles, essential oils and an hourglass. It's called "Spell for Passionate Encounters" and the one who wants a passionate encounter stares at the hourglass, visualizing steamy sex until the sand runs out.

Sophie

There are actually spells for one-night stands? :eek:

I think I'll pass on that one... but I wonder what other magical uses an hourglass could be put to.

sharpchick

I don't know about the one night stand part - I've actually considered steamy sex to be part of any decent intimate relationship. ;)

Sophie

I think it was the hourglass thing that made me think it was one-night stand.

I've never needed a spell for steamy sex :laugh:

But I could do with spells for being on time, being patient, and for making a relationship last - other types of spells which might integrate hourglasses.

elvenstar

Nice thread :) My mother has a thing for hourglasses and we've always had a couple kicking about in the house. I love them too. They are a great symbol for time like others have said, also of balance and symmetry for me, of exchange and of a closed stable system. But I also find them great as a relaxation/meditation thing. I've been doing it since before I knew what any of these things are, lol.

Just sitting there and watching the sand go down has a magic quality. It's so graceful and peaceful, but also inexorable and inevitable at the same time. Once you've turned it over, there's no stopping the sand from sliding down. And then you turn it over again, what was down is now up, and the dance begins again. It can teach you a lot about perspective :p And momentum, and the consequences of things and all sorts of other stuff...

Did I say I love them? :D

Glass Owl

I recently added a small hourglass to one of my mini "altars." I bought this game and ended up just pulling out the cards in it to use as an Oracle deck so I almost put the hourglass that came with it into the donation pile. But then, as I was walking past a bookcase, I spotted an empty spot and it just seems to fit there, among the random assortment of items.

I occasionally walk up and turn the hourglass over to just watch the sand fall, pondering the passage of time.

"Sand thru the hourglass... so are the days of our lives."

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour." - William Blake

Milfoil

The hourglass is also a symbol of the Divine Feminine, the female form, the Goddess who holds life and death, creation and time in her hands. The Norns/Fates, Mokosh, Athena etc. All the Goddesses of spinning and weaving around the world, Spider included. They all held the threads of time and fate in their hands. So the hourglass is a reminder of them too.

ravenest

As the sand slips through the hour glass so do the days of our lives ... and reading this thread sure bought back some memories! ... to think back then I was engaged to Sophie and Sharp Chick was inviting me to her high brow parties to entertain people .

whatever happened to all those people ? :( .... they just 'slipped away' I guess.

Disa

...... but on a totaly different note:

- - Disa, do not dance with time!!
- - The only time is NOW!
- - - - - - -:love:- - - - - -

6 years later, Mi-Shell and I'm still working on trying to "Live in the NOW"

The one I have (but have not used) uses tarot cards, candles, essential oils and an hourglass. It's called "Spell for Passionate Encounters" and the one who wants a passionate encounter stares at the hourglass, visualizing steamy sex until the sand runs out.

I didn't see this before,sounds good to me:)

I don't know about the one night stand part - I've actually considered steamy sex to be part of any decent intimate relationship. ;)

Me, TOO!!!

The hourglass is also a symbol of the Divine Feminine, the female form, the Goddess who holds life and death, creation and time in her hands. The Norns/Fates, Mokosh, Athena etc. All the Goddesses of spinning and weaving around the world, Spider included. They all held the threads of time and fate in their hands. So the hourglass is a reminder of them too.

I love this! Thanks, Milfoil :heart:

CelestialHorse

I wonder if it's talking about life?

I love a line from a song by Anna Nalick "Life is like an hourglass glued to the table". That's true, you can't change time, you can't do anything, time keeps going whether you like it or not.