Pearls of Wisdom: Printing Quality

fferyllt

For those of you who've used this deck some, how do you find it wearing? I just got mine recently, the printing seems okay, but I'm already finding the coating peeling a bit away from the edges and some of the print has lifted with the coating on one card. Has anyone else experienced this? I really love the deck, even more than I expected, and now I'm worried that it won't last well.

thorhammer

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like the deck, although it doesn't quite meet my expectations. By borders, I'm talking about the white ones, not the beautiful painted ones. Those, I love. Not cutting those off. No, I'll trim the white borders, just as Kissa did.

\m/ Kat

Sulis

fferyllt said:
For those of you who've used this deck some, how do you find it wearing? I just got mine recently, the printing seems okay, but I'm already finding the coating peeling a bit away from the edges and some of the print has lifted with the coating on one card. Has anyone else experienced this? I really love the deck, even more than I expected, and now I'm worried that it won't last well.
I've used my deck for all of my readings since I got it in November and it's fine. A couple of the cards have a tiny bit of peeling on the corners but I really do mean a tiny bit, it's not enough to worry me or to make me think that the cards won't hold up to a lot of use (which they've had already)..

The only problem I have with the lamination is that I prefer matte lamination and I think this lamination looks as if it's in sheet form rather than varnish or spray on which seems more hard wearing.

I'm still loving my deck, it really seems to me like the deck I've waited years for and I think that I'll eventually get myself a second copy.

Oh and I voted for it too Miss 6 :)
Like you, this deck was love at first sight for me :D.

fferyllt

Sulis said:
I've used my deck for all of my readings since I got it in November and it's fine. A couple of the cards have a tiny bit of peeling on the corners but I really do mean a tiny bit, it's not enough to worry me or to make me think that the cards won't hold up to a lot of use (which they've had already)..

The only problem I have with the lamination is that I prefer matte lamination and I think this lamination looks as if it's in sheet form rather than varnish or spray on which seems more hard wearing.

I'm still loving my deck, it really seems to me like the deck I've waited years for and I think that I'll eventually get myself a second copy.
Thanks, Sulis, that's very good to hear! I won't worry so much now about the little bit of peeling around the edges. It does seem that the lamination is done as a sheet, which is probably why the edges are peeling, where they were cut and lifted the edges of the sheet. It's such a wonderful deck, other than the lamination. Maybe if it is reprinted that will be changed. :D

Sulis

fferyllt said:
Thanks, Sulis, that's very good to hear! I won't worry so much now about the little bit of peeling around the edges. It does seem that the lamination is done as a sheet, which is probably why the edges are peeling, where they were cut and lifted the edges of the sheet. It's such a wonderful deck, other than the lamination. Maybe if it is reprinted that will be changed. :D

I doubt there will be a second printing.
I contacted 7th House to let them know that some folks were disappointed with the lamination and to suggest that should they do a second printing then maybe they would consider using a mat varnish rather than the shiny sheet lamination used in this edition.
Here are the replies I got:
We appreciate your feedback. It took years of publishing and many printers to learn exactly who would and would not give us what we need. We had these decks printed by the largest manufacturer of playing cards thinking that we would pay more, but get an excellent product. What a shame!
and
It will be years before we sell our way through this printing. It seems unlikely we will publish a second time. – 7th House

fferyllt

Thanks for sharing that info, Sulis. What a shame. That has to be rough, to think they are paying more to get something very good and then have these quality problems. Still, there are a lot of good things about this deck and I certainly think it's worth having, even with the little problems (especially if 7th house will replace the decks with worse problems).

Jewel

Well here is keeping my fingers crossed that when I get mine that it is one of the good copies. Something about this deck immediately appealed to me. In a way it reminds we me of the Tarot of the Trance (the brightness and business), but feel wise it reminds me of the Merryday and a little about the Waking the Wild Spirit.

The Tarot of the Trance drove me crazy just looking at it *LOL*, but for some reason the brightness/business combo of this one simply calls me in. I am very intrigued about this deck, and when I get it some time in March I will definetly stop by the study group.

Hedera

thorhammer said:
I got mine from Tarotgarden, which, apparently, is sold out of this deck, so I might contact 7th house. But I don't like my chances of getting a replacement to Australia. :( I might just have to put up with the nasty pearlescent shimmery (sounds so nice when you put it like that, but it isn't!) lamination.

I

I would ask them about it if I were you: they had no problem whatsoever mailing a replacement deck to the Netherlands.

I've received the replacement today, and although it looks much better, about a dozen cards still have the 'pearlescense'.

Marli

Faulty Deck Through Amazon

After waiting what seemed like an eternity, my deck finally arrived today, with even more problems than what I saw metioned previously, if not a combination of everyone's problems..

Major Inconsistencies noted:

1)There seem to be air bubbles in the cards.
2)something is a little off with the placement of the picture on 1 or 2 cards, or how the cards were cut in that the picture was not centered properly.
3)The deck itself does not seem to have been cut properly as the sides have bumps on most of them, as though they were attached to each other with a sereated edge and some one just "peeled" them apart to seperate them.
4)Even the box the cards came in, (which as I previously stated I only got today), the glue from the bottom of the box has already become unglued.
5)And worst of all there is some kind of weird hazy kind of look that is coming across the cards in "bands", that make the image within them look very dull, within the parts that the "bands" cross.

I have sent an email both to Amazon as well as 7th House expressing my sadness as well as inquiring about a possible replacement deck... if not, I may have to look at it as "charm" added to the cards... though, this is one case where I would prefer to have "just a run of the mill NORMAL deck"... as opposed to one with.. shall we say "personality"...

Will let you guys know what comes of it all!

Marli

Amazon's Response

Hi all,
Just wanted to update you on my deck issue, to date 7th house has not responded, however Amazon, responded in under an hour and have already shipped a replacement deck to me. Here's looking forward to my "new" deck and hoping that this one is as it should be! Though I have to be honest, despite all of the printing issues with the cards, I have already fallen deeply inlove with this deck!