Reviving the One Deck Wonder

SolSionnach

Solstice

thorhammer said:
::snip::
So let's aim for an official start date, to begin with. I know there are some who've started already or are a month or a year or whatever in, and that's fine, but as a group, it will help our cohesion to have a Grand Opening, or something :D. I like the idea of a Solstice launch, but if anyone has objections, put them forward and may they be weighed up :D. So 22 March?

\m/ Kat

Actually, I just looked it up, and the solstice is on the 19th around midnight CST (GMT-6, I think)

YMMV, I'm going to choose the 23rd - Easter Sunday, because I'll be back from vacation by then.. ;)

Skimo

By the way, there is also a Study Group that uses this book which you might find interesting. The study group has been going for quite a while but you can still read the threads and add your posts.

Thank you!
In fact, I have already join this study group.
I am still at the first step on the forum (I have worked a few more steps, but I didn't write anything down and I became lazy when I had to face the translation in english...)

First, I had choosen the Daughter of Feathers (Swords) from a three card draw in the Margarete Petersen.
As I am going to work with the Halloween tarot, I did another three cards draw yesterday evening to choose another card for the 21W Study.
One of the three was the Page of Bats (Swords)...
It wasn't hard to choose.
I think I have something to work on.

Alta

Okay, I see I missed something. Studies of the actual deck chosen would be in Study Groups. If the deck already has a study group, then just contribute to that. If not, contact the Study group moderator and she'll start an index for you. But this will not be specific to the IDS, but more general.

The thread in TT would be about the process, progress, roadblocks, revelations, accomplishments, breakthroughs etc to share with and support the group.

Marion

MariposAzl

Marion said:
Okay, I see I missed something. Studies of the actual deck chosen would be in Study Groups. If the deck already has a study group, then just contribute to that. If not, contact the Study group moderator and she'll start an index for you. But this will not be specific to the IDS, but more general.

The thing is we're not studying one deck card by card as is done in the Study Groups forum. It's more like one thread for discussion of progress, etc. (not actually the individual cards) as you stated below...
Marion said:
The thread in TT would be about the process, progress, roadblocks, revelations, accomplishments, breakthroughs etc to share with and support the group.
Marion
and another thread for individual readings using our IDS deck of choice to go in "Your Readings" as you mentioned earlier.

Does that make more sense?

thorhammer

MariposAzl said:
Ok, now I'm a bit confused. So, Thorhammer, are you saying in regard to the rules and structure you'd like to stick strictly to the original rules of the ODW? Or just the part about using only one deck and anything else goes (ie using accompanying books, exceptions for paid readings, playing with other decks, etc)?
No, since the original ODW used the IIT and TdM. I am advocating the use of just one deck with associated reading material. This is because I am using this as an exercise in focus with a view to learning a deck, and thereby becoming a better reader. I honestly didn't think I was being confusing.
MariposAzl said:
. . .but I feel it would be easier to follow along as well as offer support for others as a group if we're following the same rules.
I agree. That's why I didn't start any new threads yet, in the hope that all the *rules* could be sorted out here before I moved ahead with the IDS threads.
MariposAzl said:
Ok folks, I'm starting a new thread here called "Intensive Deck Study 2008: Progress Discussion" (I'll let you know when it's posted) which will include the rules for the IDS. On the 22nd, I'll start a seperate thread in Your Readings called Intensive Deck Study 2008: Daily Draws" for those who would like to also do a daily draw.
I think that's unnecessary. To avoid confusing the already seemingly confused, keeping discussion here and starting a new thread when we're ready to lauch would be best.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

WolfSpirit said:
Well as I see it, you should avoid books that have the card meanings already written down for you because you have to get a personal relationship with the cards and find out what the cards are telling you.
Well said. And reading material that extends and draws upon a deck's theme or approach but isn't necessarily Tarot-related - I think that this should be deemed a part of the study, as well.
I know that for me the biggest distraction will not be tarot books but this forum, I will have to avoid threads that discuss other decks :bugeyed: oh my!
WolfSpirit, you have it. For me, it's not about the other deck threads, but more about the mere fact of distraction. This is something else I was thinking about with reference to this exercise. I will be trying to spend less time on AT, at least while this study continues. I know that sounds backwards, but, simply put, I get on here and achieve nothing at all for hours on end. So I'll be limiting my access here, too.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Marion said:

Marion
Marion, thankyou so much for supporting this. You didn't miss anything, of course!

I think that any card/deck specific posts would be aside from the actual threads, and therefore posted in the relevant Study Groups. I would like to start a Daily Draws thread for us, however. I know we could piggy back on the others, but having a particular thread for us would allow more focus and support, and development from one day/week to another.

Our thread in Talking Tarot would be exactly as you say. Thankyou for your wisdom.

\m/ Kat

MariposAzl

Thorhammer said:
I think that's unnecessary. To avoid confusing the already seemingly confused, keeping discussion here and starting a new thread when we're ready to lauch would be best.
I agree with avoiding confusion which is why I already started the thread with rules in order to get them straight ahead of time, before we get going.
This is temporarily open for editing only (I posted at the top and bottom replies are to be posted here).

Here's the thread I started:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=94651&page=1&pp=10

I hope you don't mind, I know you started this whole thing and I just got so excited about it (plus I got a new Thoth on the way that will be perfect for this :D )!

autumnsdaughter

I just read the rules on the new IDS thread. They all sound pretty good to me. One thing that stuck me, that I hadn't thought of before, is that we are to use our deck every day. This reminds me of when I used to play violin (badly) - my teacher told me to touch my violin every day, if only to pick it up, put rosin on the bow, pluck it a couple times. Even if you don't actually practice that day, as long as you have physical contact, it helps you to develop your relationship with that instrument. Now I see that this translates to tarot as well. Just holding, touching, shuffling the deck (and the same deck every day) will help to establish that relationship.

thorhammer

What a beautiful analogy, autumnsdaughter! I completely agree. Just shuffling a deck gets you so much more familiar with it - it's hard to feel comfortable with a deck that you can't shuffle easily, isn't it?

Thanks for that point.

\m/ Kat