Reviving the One Deck Wonder

.traveller.

Looks like this is evolving into something that doesn't interest me so much. That's probably because I have a pretty spartan outlook to begin with, my focus is on reading rather than the deck I am reading with. I've also discovered that I really don't give a hoot about what the deck creator intended, other than mild curiosity for a bit of trivia.

I believe I will commit to offering more readings, let's say, two a week for the remainder of the year. I don't think I will use my Grail though... that has become my personal deck and I just don't feel right using it for anyone else. Perhaps I will use the Feng Shui (thank you Solitaire!) or the Bizzarro, both give me lots of space to do my thing.

SolSionnach

autumnsdaughter said:
I just read the rules on the new IDS thread. They all sound pretty good to me. One thing that stuck me, that I hadn't thought of before, is that we are to use our deck every day. This reminds me of when I used to play violin (badly) - my teacher told me to touch my violin every day, if only to pick it up, put rosin on the bow, pluck it a couple times. Even if you don't actually practice that day, as long as you have physical contact, it helps you to develop your relationship with that instrument. Now I see that this translates to tarot as well. Just holding, touching, shuffling the deck (and the same deck every day) will help to establish that relationship.

So that's why I'm not playing the flute so well these days...

lol

Faolainn Storm

sravana said:
Actually, I just looked it up, and the solstice is on the 19th around midnight CST (GMT-6, I think)

Sorry to be pedantic but
1) it is the Equinox (equal night and day - Autumn and Spring) not Solstice (longest day/night- Summer and Winter) and
2) Equinox may be on the 19th for those in US time, but for those of us on the other side of the world it is on the 20th! :D To be precise 20th at 3.49 pm Australian EST.
The diificulties of living in a world with different timezones, seasons etc. It would be so much easier if it was the same time and same season everywhere at once!

Faolainn Storm

SolSionnach

Faolainn Storm said:
Sorry to be pedantic but
1) it is the Equinox (equal night and day - Autumn and Spring) not Solstice (longest day/night- Summer and Winter) and
2) Equinox may be on the 19th for those in US time, but for those of us on the other side of the world it is on the 20th! :D To be precise 20th at 3.49 pm Australian EST.
The diificulties of living in a world with different timezones, seasons etc. It would be so much easier if it was the same time and same season everywhere at once!

Faolainn Storm

OMG.
Yes, you are absolutely are right about that - it's the Equinox.

::blushes::

and yes, I knew that it would be other days - that's why I put up my time zone here in the Central US. The thing is, it's definitely not the 22nd or 23rd.

Grizabella

It's true that the focus of the ODW to begin with was reading, not studying the deck. I think there's a lot of energy put into studying decks, trimming decks, acquiring decks, discussing decks, discovering new decks---but more effort and focus needs to be on reading with decks.

For myself, I'm gonna just commit to reading with a deck again for an extended period of time.

I'm learning the Lenormand, but that's something separate. I study and practice with that in the evenings, usually, and if I can learn to use the Lenormand cards, then my emphasis will be on reading with them more than studying them, eventually, and then I'll have two cartomancy skills----Tarot and Lenormand. :)

.traveller.

Solitaire* said:
I'm learning the Lenormand, but that's something separate. I study and practice with that in the evenings, usually, and if I can learn to use the Lenormand cards, then my emphasis will be on reading with them more than studying them, eventually, and then I'll have two cartomancy skills----Tarot and Lenormand. :)

I think there is alot to be said about working with both the Lenormand and tarot. This just my opinion, but I think being able to read with a Lenormand deck enhances your tarot readings. I think it has to do with recognising patterns.

rwcarter

I'm hopeless....

I just pulled out all the decks I might use for the IDS. They're all over the spectrum too - classics, new takes on classics and non-standard (meaning they don't really fit into any of the three major schools) systems. And the final number? 34.:bugeyed: I've GOT to cull that down to 24 (or even better 16) before doing my head to head battle or I know what I'll be doing ALL day Saturday....

Rodney

thorhammer

Wow.

Wow, Rodney, that's a lot of decks. I'd be interested to follow on with your decision-making (mostly coz I'm a sticky-beak :D), but also because I'm hoping that this one goes well for me and I want to do another one down the track.

I've got decks on the back burner for it, too :D. Nigel Jackson is right up the top of the list . . .

\m/ Kat

Madame Squee

thorhammer said:
It's nice to have you, cronesayer :). As I understand it, most people who are joining in are choosing any deck in their collection that grabs them - lots of Thoths here, I think. Do you have a deck that you think would benefit from long-term study?

\m/ Kat
Yes, indeed, I do, and tonight I've narrowed it down to the final four! (Unless, we're going to have a Lenormand on the side...) :p Here's where I'm at:

Buckland Romani: I've been using and studying this one off and on for the past six years. It's very appealing visually, shuffles well. We've spent time together, but we still don't know each other as well as we'd like.

Tarot of Prague: I've using and studying this one off and on since it was released (four years now?). It's fascinating visually (lots of symbols) and shuffles well (love, love, love the thick card stock and satin finish). This one is full of surprises, and I love surprises!

Bohemian Gothic Tarot: I wanted this deck sooooo bad! I wanted it for a solid year before it arrived, and I LOVE IT! Visually, it's riveting, stories leap to mind, and I have no trouble figuring out the court cards. It doesn't just shuffle well, it whissssspers...

Hanson-Roberts: I've been using this one every day for a week (maybe more?), and we feel like old friends - deja vu all over again. The colors, art and symbols are really appealing. The images make me smile. The deck shuffles well, and I like the smaller size of the cards.

Okay, so I just finished a new study deck reading* with each one of these, plus three others, which didn't make the final four. Now, I think I'm going to draw a card every day from each of the final four and take it from there. If you or anyone else has a suggestion about how to make my final selection, I'd love your advice!

:heart:
c.s.

*What will you teach me during this study project? What will you require of me? What will our relationship be like? These questions are very similar to Tor's New Deck Spread posted in the Spreads thread, and then I picked a 4th card: Why should I choose you?

kisou

.traveller. said:
Looks like this is evolving into something that doesn't interest me so much. That's probably because I have a pretty spartan outlook to begin with, my focus is on reading rather than the deck I am reading with. I've also discovered that I really don't give a hoot about what the deck creator intended, other than mild curiosity for a bit of trivia.

I'm kind of thinking like that, too xD! It's funny/sorta interesting reading about people having some sort of major "internal drama" trying to decide what deck to use and for how long and how such a big deal it'll be to dedicate time to one deck. Seriously- it's one deck, for X amount of time; it's not that hard!

When one only has a few decks, it's impossible to be picky and meticulous! I should be thankful I have an amount of decks that can be counted on one hand X)

I also think at this point, people are over-thinking the exercise... Find a deck you like, but just go with it and see where it takes you for however long you decide to use it for. Trying to decide how deep you THINK it might be based on a snap decision at the beginning sounds kind of backwards to me. I think instead of *deciding* what deck might be "deep", people should pick a deck they want to explore and see what layers *they* apply on it from extended use.

While everyone's intentions are good ones, it's making a simple decision much more complex than it should be. Just close your eyes, pick a deck, and let's do it!