Reviving the One Deck Wonder

Faolainn Storm

kisou said:
It's funny/sorta interesting reading about people having some sort of major "internal drama" trying to decide what deck to use and for how long and how such a big deal it'll be to dedicate time to one deck. Seriously- it's one deck, for X amount of time; it's not that hard! ... I also think at this point, people are over-thinking the exercise... Find a deck you like, but just go with it and see where it takes you for however long you decide to use it for. Trying to decide how deep you THINK it might be based on a snap decision at the beginning sounds kind of backwards to me. I think instead of *deciding* what deck might be "deep", people should pick a deck they want to explore and see what layers *they* apply on it from extended use...While everyone's intentions are good ones, it's making a simple decision much more complex than it should be. Just close your eyes, pick a deck, and let's do it!

Speaking for myself (and at a guess probably for most of the others here) it is not really a decision about which deck I'll get the most out of. For me I know whichever deck I pick, I'll get as much out of it as I am willing to bring to it.
My problem was that I have over sixty tarot decks, of which there are about fifteen that I like/love and from that group there are four or five I REALLY, REALLY love. I know I would get huge amounts out of a long, deep, one-one-one study of any of them. So for me, its about which deck do I want to do this study with, knowing that whichever deck I pick I have to stick with. :bugeyed: :angel:
Of course, if this study goes as well I will continue doing another six months study of one of my other REALLY, REALLY love decks. Probably Greenwood next, and then if my will power holds I'll do six months wilth the Hallowquest. That'll cover the three most loved decks, and then I will contemplate some of the others. :D
But to pick one deck to be so exculsive with, does feel a little like I'm abandoning my other favourites. So for some people, who have only one or two beloved decks, then yes, this is an easy decision. But for those of us who love more than one, it is very tough. After all, in some ways it kind of feels (just a little) like being asked to play exclusively with one pet (or child) while ignoring the others for six months. And that's not to mention not being allowed to play with my oracles either. :(

Faolainn Storm

Umbrae

.traveller. said:
Looks like this is evolving into something that doesn't interest me so much. That's probably because I have a pretty spartan outlook to begin with, my focus is on reading rather than the deck I am reading with. I've also discovered that I really don't give a hoot about what the deck creator intended, other than mild curiosity for a bit of trivia.
Same...I can study the back of my hand...

...but will it assist me to help another? Will it help me pass on the message? Will it help me get out of my own way?

No.

Gazel

thorhammer said:
****Edited to Add Progressive Rules****
****************************These Rules Include Shortened Forms of MariposAzl's***************************

Progressive Rules

1. Start date at the Equinox, which is apparently the 19th of March.

2. Only one deck should be used for readings (at all, including reading for others), study, journalling, idle flicking-through, mindless shuffling, etc.

3. The only time you pick up another deck is a new arrival from an order, and only for the purposes of checking quality and completeness. Then put it away and forget about it.

4. Reading material including companion books and non-card-specific texts (eg. 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card) are allowed, unless a participant chooses to eliminate them for him/herself.

5. Handle your deck every day, even if you don't read with it or actually study any of the cards. Physical comfort with the cards is important to knowing a deck.

6. Journal with the deck at least once a week, if not more often. Use the threads for the group to help motivate you and encourage you to delve further into the symbolism and meaning of the cards.

These rules seem okay to me. But maybe the "official" ending of this exercise should be added also? Was it for three or six months i.e. until the autumnal equinox?

Gazel

sapienza

Hi there Kat,
I can't believe this thread was started 2 days ago and is already 15 pages long :laugh: Obviously a lot of people share the same issue here.

I'd really like to be able to do this but I'm going to have to think on it for awhile. I LOVE the idea of it and I KNOW that it's what I need but it just seems SO difficult. The deck I'm studying just now is the Alchemical, but if I was to do a reading for someone I'd probably use the Hanson Roberts. But I also use a few different oracles when I read as well, depending on the type of reading. And I've got so many other decks that I still want to spend time with. The big challenge for me would be to choose one deck only (ok, that's stating the obvious isn't it). It's an illness! I NEED help. Perhaps this is exactly what I need.

So, I'm going to go away and think about this and then I'll be back.....hopefully with the ability to commit to this and join in with you all. By then the thread will no doubt be 30 pages long and I'll need to spend another half hour catching up reading it :D

WolfSpirit

Faolainn Storm said:
My problem was that I have over sixty tarot decks, of which there are about fifteen that I like/love and from that group there are four or five I REALLY, REALLY love. I know I would get huge amounts out of a long, deep, one-one-one study of any of them. So for me, its about which deck do I want to do this study with, knowing that whichever deck I pick I have to stick with. :bugeyed: :angel:
Of course, if this study goes as well I will continue doing another six months study of one of my other REALLY, REALLY love decks.

Same here...I have a large collection of decks, most of them I love (and a few I may pass on), and a much smaller collection of decks I regularly use for readings. I want to do this kind of study for all my regular reading decks.
And in between I splurge with my other decks :)

kisou said:
I'm kind of thinking like that, too xD! It's funny/sorta interesting reading about people having some sort of major "internal drama" trying to decide what deck to use and for how long and how such a big deal it'll be to dedicate time to one deck. Seriously- it's one deck, for X amount of time; it's not that hard!

I think that is why we want to do this exercise - because it is hard for us :laugh: If it was easy to stick with one deck I would not need it.

lilith_in_tree

I guess I should feel lucky that I have so few decks!
I can see how this would be very difficult if you have many to choose from, but in the grand scheme of things, it's only a few months (or however long one chooses to do the study for) and the rest of the decks will be waiting when it's over. For myself, I'm going to do this with all of my decks--this will help me stop myself from buying and not using them, which is a bad habit that I have with other things, a habit I'd rather not start with Tarot. I want to be a good reader, I want to learn deeply, from my own insight and intuition, so what Umbrae and others have said here and elsewhere is true for me--it's not about the deck, it's about reading, and though I love my VR to bits, it's got nothing to do with that and everything to do with me.
And now I'll stop rambling, because I'm sure I'm helping no one :laugh:

.traveller.

Umbrae said:
Same...I can study the back of my hand...

...but will it assist me to help another? Will it help me pass on the message? Will it help me get out of my own way?

No.

Just when I think I have perfected the art of invisibility... :laugh:

You make a good point. As readers, we need to get out of our own way.

On a personal level, I need to listen more when I read and the only way to do that is to read more.

Madame Squee

Hey, lilith_in_tree, you're helping me!

Most of everything you just said applies to me as well. It's nice to have company. :)

I am ready to begin the journey of getting out of my own way (thank you Umbrae and .traveller.), and this is the best way I know to start -- by putting away everything that I've brought in to my life, which is keeping my from doing what I want to do -- read.

I'm pretty sure I'm ready to accept the fact that I am my own worst enemy, and I realize it's not about which deck I read from, but I feel that the process of me choosing my deck is integral to launching the journey. (The 2 of Wands in the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot springs to mind, and that deck isn't even on my short list! :p )

:heart:

faunabay

Well I don't know how much I'm going to join in with all of you - too many rules for me! }) Sorry that's just me. (shrug) But I want to thank thorhammer for getting me started in my own way. (hugs) :*

I am going to work with one deck for a couple of months. But I also have figured out I want to do at least one month with every new deck I get. Like lilith says that will keep me from buying decks I never use. And probably keep me from buying decks I'm not sure about.

I've also made a list of decks I already have that I want to get to know better so in turn I can read better with and these will last me for the next year!! :laugh: I know I'll buy some decks - I already have a couple of preorder LOL - but the ones I have now will keep me busy for quite a while now!!

.traveller.

kisou said:
I'm kind of thinking like that, too xD! It's funny/sorta interesting reading about people having some sort of major "internal drama" trying to decide what deck to use and for how long and how such a big deal it'll be to dedicate time to one deck. Seriously- it's one deck, for X amount of time; it's not that hard!

When one only has a few decks, it's impossible to be picky and meticulous! I should be thankful I have an amount of decks that can be counted on one hand X)

I also think at this point, people are over-thinking the exercise... Find a deck you like, but just go with it and see where it takes you for however long you decide to use it for. Trying to decide how deep you THINK it might be based on a snap decision at the beginning sounds kind of backwards to me. I think instead of *deciding* what deck might be "deep", people should pick a deck they want to explore and see what layers *they* apply on it from extended use.

While everyone's intentions are good ones, it's making a simple decision much more complex than it should be. Just close your eyes, pick a deck, and let's do it!

I just realized that you were responding to my post :)

I never realised before, but I was quite lucky that there was little in the way of tarot books or choice of decks when I started to read. They may have been "out there" but I was unaware of them. There is something to be said about lack of choice, not much to agonise over.
Now, I have 40 tarot decks and 20 oracles(give or take) and I enjoy them all... that is why I have them. I have time; I don't plan to keel over anytime soon, why freak out over using one of them for a set period of time? Especially since this exercise will improve my readings overall, and allow me to gain the most from all of my tools/decks.