Reviving the One Deck Wonder

thorhammer

Oddity said:
This sounds like a very interesting thing to do, very useful, but I don't know if I dare to... And it would be an interesting personal challenge.
That's the big thing, Oddity. It's a challenge - at least for some of us. I guess there are people here who will find it easy and will continue with the one deck indefinitely, but for me at least (and I'm guessing a few others) it's a challenge to put away all the other wonderful decks we have access to and will ourselves to concentrate on that one. To reiterate the words of so many experienced people at the start of the thread, it's about focus. I know I've lost focus because of the availability of so many different decks and the looking, touching, oohing and ahhing, comparing and downright acquiring, and to knuckle down and concentrate on one, to use it for the purpose intended and not just a fling here and there, will hopefully be a very useful exercise.

I hope you join us, if it's the right thing for you to do. And I don't see that being a newbie would have any deleterious effect! :heart:

\m/ Kat

Faolainn Storm

thorhammer said:
Now, I know I said before that I'm not going to keep a list, but there are people who seem to want a more official structure . . . would it be useful to keep at least a list of people+decks? Since this differs so markedly from the ODW in that lots of us are using different decks, it might make it easier for all of us to support the rest if we can easily refer to who is using what deck . . . what do you all think?

Perhaps someone (not me) should start another thread, where those of us who do want to participate can make a single post giving our commitment - deck, length of time, personal rules, etc. so that others can see what we have committed to, and give us the support we require.
I know I'm going to need all the support I can get! :D

Faolainn Storm

lilith_in_tree

cronesayer, I'm glad you've figured out which deck to use--very smart way to do it, I would say, after all the Universe knows what it's doing ;)

And I think making a list of participants and their decks at the beginning of the thread would probably be a good idea, so everyone knows what everyone is dealing with--or were you planning on starting a really-official-type thread on the 19th? If that's the case, I would do the list at the beginning of that one :D

thorhammer

I was thinking of a "really-official-type thread" a few days before the actual start. I don't want to start it too early, as this thread's helping us all thrash out the details nicely. That way everyone could do the AA-style, "Hi, my name is ___ and I commit to ___" :D. Yes, I could maintain a list at the top of that thread, easily.

I'm trying to do my "Last Hurrah" readings . . . and although I'm loving the Nigel Jackson deck to bits (so glad I kept it!) I am struggling to tear myself away from the WoC already! I'm so pleased that it's grabbed me so strongly. I'm slogging my way through the enormous companion book, and every time I read a card's discussion, it seems that that card has such profound meaning for me at that moment, that it's just like the Universe is pulling all the strings. I'm loving this, I feel really good about it.

\m/ Kat

Alamaris

I think the "commitment" thread is a great idea, Kat! I imagine it would be all right to make one sooner than later, since some people seem to have chosen their decks and personal rules already.

I'm all set and getting excited! I think the last thing I have to do is find a box big enough for my deck collection and put it away. How's everyone else storing their other decks, out of curiosity? :D

lilith_in_tree

oh, I know exactly what you mean about the cards having a profound meaning for you in the moment--I'm having the same thing with my deck and book. Every time I journal a card I can see all sorts of ways it applies to my day, I see the things it needs to tell me just then, and then I look at the book and find even more interesting and relevant things. Of course the book for the VR isn't quite the tome the WoC book is, from what I hear, but it's so well-written and concise. Isn't it wonderful to feel that the deck is really speaking to you?

sapienza

Well.....I've been thinking long and hard about whether to join you all or not and so far I've still got no idea. I just don't know if I can (or will) do it :)

Cronesayer said:
In the interest of getting out of my own way, I selected my deck by random draw -- I wrote the names of my reading decks on slips of paper, mixed them with eyes closed and picked one. I'm satisfied with this selection process, because I really love reading with about 30 of my decks, and it was just too tough to try to make a conscious choice from among them.

Hi Cronesayer, I love this idea. I think I'd drive myself mad trying to make a decision and this sounds like a fabulous idea. If I make a selection of the decks I really love and then let the universe decide the rest.

I've realised that my biggest problem as far as what keeps me from spending quality time with tarot is actually my internet ADDICTION :D Between this forum and ebay I spend all my time thinking about decks, doing reasearch, chatting about tarot, shopping for decks......all of which are great things (well, maybe not the shopping bit), but I realise I spend very little time actually working WITH my decks.

I'm away for a week from tomorrow with no internet access. I am even going to go away with NO tarot decks and NO tarot books. (I start to shake and feel ill even as I type that.....maybe I should change my mind :(). I think it will be a good opportunity for me to reevaluate what I want from tarot and hopefully I'll come back with a fresh perspective and be ready to commit to something.

Kat, I'm planning to severley limit my internet time after I get back to try and make sure I focus on DOING tarot, not just talking about it. Would it matter if I was a less frequent contributor to the group?

sapienza

Oddity said:
This sounds like a very interesting thing to do, very useful, but I don't know if I dare to...

On the one hand I would love to do something just like that, because I can really see how one can benefit from using just one deck for a while... good for focus, and that's something people like me always need more of. ;) And it would be an interesting personal challenge.

But on the other hand I still feel like such a newbie who doesn't really know anything about anything at all to start with. :)

On the other hand again (or would that be the third hand?) maybe that is a good reason to do it...

Hmm... I'll think about it for a while.

I think being a newbie is the absolute BEST reason of all to participate in this. From my experience when you are first learning the best thing you can do is work with just one deck. I had my first deck, The Mythic, for about 5 years before I even got a second deck. I'm so grateful for that time with just the one deck.....I wish I could go back in time....things were so much simpler then :)

Skimo

sapienza said:
I've realised that my biggest problem as far as what keeps me from spending quality time with tarot is actually my internet ADDICTION :D Between this forum and ebay I spend all my time thinking about decks, doing reasearch, chatting about tarot, shopping for decks......all of which are great things (well, maybe not the shopping bit), but I realise I spend very little time actually working WITH my decks.

You are not alone in this case!

thorhammer

lilith_in_tree said:
Of course the book for the VR isn't quite the tome the WoC book is, from what I hear, but it's so well-written and concise. Isn't it wonderful to feel that the deck is really speaking to you?
It certainly is, lilith. I'm so glad that it's so chatty :laugh:! Makes it easier to contemplate three months with its sole companionship :)
sapienza said:
Kat, I'm planning to severley limit my internet time after I get back to try and make sure I focus on DOING tarot, not just talking about it. Would it matter if I was a less frequent contributor to the group?
Of course not! cronesayer and I have both spoken of this exact conundrum earlier in the thread, and it's something that does bear thinking about (actually, I'm doing it right now ;)). I reckon it's got something to do with "quality as opposed to quantity", hasn't it? I hope you join us :)

\m/ Kat