Reviving the One Deck Wonder

Grizabella

Since I'm found somewhere way, way back in this thread, I'm just on record here saying I'm not going to commit to the project. I'll just go ahead and use my new Bohemian Gothic Silver intensively but on my own.

I wish all good luck to those who do take part in this study, though. My serious advice to you all, though, is to spend a whole lot more time reading the cards than reading the books. ;) :heart:

Alamaris

Solitaire* said:
I wish all good luck to those who do take part in this study, though. My serious advice to you all, though, is to spend a whole lot more time reading the cards than reading the books. ;) :heart:
This is true; I second Solitaire. The cards can speak clearer than the books can, quite often.

Case in point: I was shuffling my Universal Waite for two hours today trying to get rid of that stiff lamination feel. In that two hours, the Lovers leaped out of the deck not once, not twice, but ten times. Nearly borked me between the eyes, once. After reading two book interpretations and a handful of internet resources, I was more baffled than when I'd started out. Heck, I'm still baffled.

Okay, maybe that wasn't the best example, but my point still stands. ;) Read the cards! Not the books! This is the One Deck Wonder after all, not the One-Deck-And-Three-References-Wonder.

On the other hand, it isn't best to ditch the books altogether. They're a handy resource...just don't get so dependent on them that you can't pick up the deck without the book in the other hand. Use, don't abuse.

Gazel

rwcarter said:
(I'm writing this post as I do the actions below, so it's a multi-hour task.) Reader's Digest version of the post - I'll be using the Ancient Egyptian Tarot for the IDS.

Oh my ... Rodney, Happy that you gave us the readers digest version, since I sort of lost track of what you really did during my reading your post.
Happy that you're happy with the process and the result.

Gazel.

Gazel

Solitaire* said:
Since I'm found somewhere way, way back in this thread, I'm just on record here saying I'm not going to commit to the project. I'll just go ahead and use my new Bohemian Gothic Silver intensively but on my own.

Have fun ;o)

Thanks for your advice, Solitaire. I'll bear that in mind.

Gazel.

lilith_in_tree

Solitaire, good luck with your studies--that deck is truly fantastic, but everybody knows that ;) And you're right about not depending on the books too much--I'd say that's a huge part of the study in the first place--using the book to learn, but then moving away from it and finding your own meaning.
Might be a bit OT but Alamaris's shuffling story reminded me (very weird and cool about the Lover's card, by the way)--I was thinking about breaking my VR, but I'm terrified to do it. It's the regular version and I know I could get a new one if something went horribly awry, but still. Have any of you broken a deck? Umbrae, tell me it's not going to wreck it :laugh:

SolSionnach

rwcarter said:
Alamaris, if sravana doesn't take me up on I Tarocchi dei Colori for the next IDS, I'll do the UFO if you do. ;)

Rodney

Umm. Guys. I haven't decided which deck to use for *this* IDS, and you want me to decide what to use for the second one?? :p

You be funny!

Actually, I think that Rodney should start a thread entitled "What are your hunchbacked, red-headed stepchild decks that you've never given a chance to?" or some such. I bet it would be a bigger hit than this thread, even!!

Speaking of this IDS - I'd almost decided on Ironwing, but got a really difficult reading - the Ironwing equivalents of 6 wands, justice, 5, 9 & 10 swords. Eeep.

The interesting thing is that the 10 sw has a raven on it, and this morning on my dog walk there were our South Texas cityfied version of the raven all over the place - the grackle. So I'm thinking that this could be a really *interesting* 3 months.

(My reading with the Haindl was very nice. So why do I want to use Ironwing?) })

Alamaris

sravana said:
Actually, I think that Rodney should start a thread entitled "What are your hunchbacked, red-headed stepchild decks that you've never given a chance to?" or some such. I bet it would be a bigger hit than this thread, even!!
Yes. Do it do it do it -- I would do it myself but I think it was his idea. Or is my tin sieve memory at it again?

sravana said:
Speaking of this IDS - I'd almost decided on Ironwing, but got a really difficult reading - the Ironwing equivalents of 6 wands, justice, 5, 9 & 10 swords. Eeep.

The interesting thing is that the 10 sw has a raven on it, and this morning on my dog walk there were our South Texas cityfied version of the raven all over the place - the grackle. So I'm thinking that this could be a really *interesting* 3 months.

(My reading with the Haindl was very nice. So why do I want to use Ironwing?) })
Because you like a challenge? })

rwcarter

sravana said:
Umm. Guys. I haven't decided which deck to use for *this* IDS, and you want me to decide what to use for the second one?? :p

You be funny!
No pressure. ;)

sravana said:
I DID actually think about it last night. Who knows. I might still....

Rodney

Madame Squee

Alamaris said:
In my humble opinion, we should make a mini-One Deck Wonder after this one, for the sole purpose of trotting out our humpbacked, redheaded freakchild decks. :D

Admit it, we've all got one!

I'd have mine picked out already: my poor, neglected, incest-baby-of-a-tryst-between-Spock-and-Lo-Scarabeo, the UFO Tarot.
Oh, my goodness, YEAHHH!

Okey dokey, let me see... I could trot out my Tarot of Reflections? Winged Spirit? Animal Lords?

No, actually... (hey, I'm ducking now, please don't anyone hit me!) it would have to my Lo Scarabeo Tarot! Now, there's a 3-eyed fish if I've ever seen one! What on earth was I thinking? Well, at least I got a bag out of the deal... :p

Now, when you say "mini", you are referring to the length of time for the project, not the number of participants, right??? :bugeyed:

:heart:
c.s.

SolSionnach

Alamaris said:
Because you like a challenge? })

Because I'm losing my mind? Nothing like a completely obscure deck with an oversized LB (that is, not nearly enough info in there to even BEGIN to un-obscure that deck!) to drive me batshit crazy.

I think I'm going to start right now, and by the 19th (or 21st, whatever) I'll have a much better idea if I really need to have the 10 of blades be the answer to "how will this project with you effect me". I've been interested in shamanism for some time - perhaps this is as close as I'm likely to get.