Reviving the One Deck Wonder

Alamaris

cronesayer said:
Now, when you say "mini", you are referring to the length of time for the project, not the number of participants, right??? :bugeyed:

:heart:
c.s.
*innocent look* What makes you say that?

In all honestly, yeah. :laugh: I was thinking something like two months.

bleuivy

I took part in the original Wonders way back in the day. It did wonders (no pun intended :p) for my reading on every level, both when reading for myself and for others. That was a time that really opened up my reading for others, and I became much more comfortable reading for others, face-to-face, than reading for myself, just me and the cards.

Now my tarot studies have shifted focus. I've begun using the cards mainly as tools for myself, and have almost stopped reading for others entirely. The types of decks I like has shifted because of this, away from the RWS clones to decks that have deeper personal symbolism. Maybe its because I used the Radiant RWS and then the International Icon when I did the first Wonder study, when I was reading frequently and intensely for others, but the RWS and its clones just feels too much like they're for other people. I need to reconnect with reading for myself, if that makes any sense. I know that these decks obviously work wonderfully for loads and loads of people worldwide for readings for themselves, but for me when I use them, I feel like I am looking outside myself rather than looking inside myself. (I feel like I'm not making myself clear here....)

Long story short, I'm thinking of joining all of you. An added rule for my deck focus might be that during this time, I will read for no one but myself, to really reconnect with the cards. I'll probably try using one of my favorite decks, the Wheel of Change. It always felt like that deck needed a couple of months (years?) of concentrated use to fully understand. Love the images, love the cards, love how personal the deck feels.

My only problem is that I have quite a history with this deck, and I sort of want to start from scratch, so we'll see.

I'm glad to be back on AT, just in time for this new energetic study to begin. Onward! :D

Azarial

bleuivy said:
I took part in the original Wonders way back in the day. It did wonders (no pun intended :p) for my reading on every level, both when reading for myself and for others. That was a time that really opened up my reading for others, and I became much more comfortable reading for others, face-to-face, than reading for myself, just me and the cards.

Now my tarot studies have shifted focus. I've begun using the cards mainly as tools for myself, and have almost stopped reading for others entirely. The types of decks I like has shifted because of this, away from the RWS clones to decks that have deeper personal symbolism. Maybe its because I used the Radiant RWS and then the International Icon when I did the first Wonder study, when I was reading frequently and intensely for others, but the RWS and its clones just feels too much like they're for other people. I need to reconnect with reading for myself, if that makes any sense. I know that these decks obviously work wonderfully for loads and loads of people worldwide for readings for themselves, but for me when I use them, I feel like I am looking outside myself rather than looking inside myself. (I feel like I'm not making myself clear here....)

Long story short, I'm thinking of joining all of you. An added rule for my deck focus might be that during this time, I will read for no one but myself, to really reconnect with the cards. I'll probably try using one of my favorite decks, the Wheel of Change. It always felt like that deck needed a couple of months (years?) of concentrated use to fully understand. Love the images, love the cards, love how personal the deck feels.

My only problem is that I have quite a history with this deck, and I sort of want to start from scratch, so we'll see.

I'm glad to be back on AT, just in time for this new energetic study to begin. Onward! :D

I was also thinking about starting from scratch which is why I'm kind of leaning towards the Thoth which I know absolutely nothing about other than I get bad vibes when I handle it. I am thinking that this might improve my relationship with the deck, and there is so much to learn about it.

bleuivy

The Thoth was my second deck ever, and I also got bad vibes from it whenever I held it. I tried working with it on and off for years, but finally decided that I just can't work with it, traded it away, and was much happier after I did so.

That said, I tried studying it for years before finally just giving up. Its such a rich rewarding deck for loads of people that I do regret that I can't work with it.

There's alot to be said for starting from scratch, I think. I've done it before (not in any sort of concentrated way like this) and I learned so much about myself and my relationship with the cards. The Thoth is a great deck to do that with. If you do study the Thoth, I hope your experience with it isn't nearly the same as mine!

(Incidentally, starting from scratch is also why I'm considering the Shining Tribe and the Tarot of the Crone. See my post in the de-enabling thread to talk me out of either of those! :p )

SolSionnach

bleuivy said:

Very interesting, Blueivy. I :heart: WoC too. Kat will be very happy to see that you're going to work with that deck.

On my part, I basically *only* read for myself, for spiritual purposes. So I've decided to work with Ironwing for my IDS. My task for today - learn to identify which cards are in what suits, and what their numbers/courts/trump are. There are no labels, and the cards are obscure that way, to put it mildly!

SolSionnach

did we decide which forum to use to discuss how we're working with the deck? (as opposed to figuring out how we're supposed to stay "faithful" for 3 months).

I'd like to start a thread somewhere called "IDS: Ironwing", but I'm not sure where that thread would go. Tarot Studies? Talking Tarot? Tarot Decks? Tarot Readings?

I would just post about what I'm doing as part of my study, and perhaps list my daily draws (if I decide to do that) - but not as a reading, but rather as a card to meditate on that day.

Or should I just do this on my LJ?

Thoughts, anyone?

Faolainn Storm

rwcarter said:
I WILL NOT:
  • order/pre-order any new decks through any mechanism unless I've wanted them for at least six months and am able to see more than the obligatory 6 cards

I LOVE this. I am going to have to steal this idea, but not as a rule for my IDS, but as a rule for life. I have been looking through my "hunchback, redhaired stepchild" decks (love this too, I think you've started a new craze here :D) and I realised, most of them were bought without seeing the cards. I looked at the package, admired the card on the front, liked the name and bought it. :| Then I get it home, open the cards, look through them and its like: "ooh, nice ... I like ... okay, interesting ... mmmm, well ... uhh, ohh, *speechless silence* ... oh, great *sigh*, another failure ..." :(
So from now on, I WILL NOT buy any deck I have not seen more than 6 cards of... I WILL NOT buy any deck I have not seen more than 6 cards of... I WILL NOT...*heads off muttering it over and over again* :D

Faolainn Storm

rwcarter

Faolainn Storm said:
I LOVE this. I am going to have to steal this idea, but not as a rule for my IDS, but as a rule for life. I have been looking through my "hunchback, redhaired stepchild" decks (love this too, I think you've started a new craze here :D) and I realised, most of them were bought without seeing the cards. I looked at the package, admired the card on the front, liked the name and bought it. :|

Faolainn Storm
Fay-lawn (phonetically pronounced - see I was paying attention ;)),

Glad I could be of help. Would that I had come up with that rule BEFORE I pre-ordered the new Tarot of the Angels by LoS....

I'm gonna have to start that thread about the humped-back redheaded stepchild purchases (which I actually got from a DJ almost 20 years ago), but not tonight....

Rodney

Grizabella

OK, here's what I'm going to do with the BG Silver as my IDS, if that's what we're calling this:

I'm going to journal about the memories and feelings each card brings up for me about my lifetime for the first 40 years. When I first got the deck and went through it, it was like something dark and heavy landed right in my middle and I wondered if I was going to be able to handle it.

Then I went through it again and even though the dark heaviness remained, I knew I could handle it just fine and that I not only wanted to use the deck for readings, I have a strange, strong bond with it and that my journal of the cards is going to be two things---a final healing of things that are mostly healed already except for finishing touches and that this will contain the seeds of the book everyone has been telling me I should write about my life.

I don't journal about my decks and readings very faithfully, I have to confess. But about this one, every single card will have its place in my journal, with lengthy entries.

I want to thank Karen and Alex for this second special deck. They probably think I'm crazy, but I'm not. I've just been through a lot of "stuff" in my life and the Bohemian Gothic is like an album of all of it. I've been really stymied as to how to begin my book, but this is the catalyst. And a special thanks to valeria for making a gift of the deck to me---you're a special, special person in my life, valeria. :heart:

Soooo, to most of you I'm sure this is TMI (too much information), a shrug, and a "who cares?" but there it is, anyway. :D

Had to come back and say to Karen and Alex that ALL their decks are very special, I didn't mean just two of them are. But the VR and the BG are just extremely special to me, personally. :)

thorhammer

Alamaris said:
In my humble opinion, we should make a mini-One Deck Wonder after this one, for the sole purpose of trotting out our humpbacked, redheaded freakchild decks. :D
*Ducks like c.s.*I might try that . . . don't know how long I'd last . . . with the Sakki-Sakki })!
bleuivy said:
Yay! Good on you . . . and if you don't do that one, I recommend the Shining Tribe (I had its older sister, it was my first deck and I loved it. I'll get it again one day). You're right, the WoC is very personal, and very to the point. I've yet to decide whether this is a good or bad thing. I'm still working through the Suit of Disks in the companion book (never enough time for reading :(), but I think I'll get a lot out of journalling with it and reallly making it my deck. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm still managing to resist the temptation to read with it yet! :D Soon, preeccioouussss!
sravana said:
did we decide which forum to use to discuss how we're working with the deck? (as opposed to figuring out how we're supposed to stay "faithful" for 3 months).

I'd like to start a thread somewhere called "IDS: Ironwing", but I'm not sure where that thread would go. Tarot Studies? Talking Tarot? Tarot Decks? Tarot Readings?
How about a general discussion thread for support and suchlike, and each of us work within the framework of the existing study group (I know there's a good one for the Ironwing, thanks mostly to Mi-Shell, I take it :D). Those of us who don't have dedicated Study Groups will just have to tought it out, I guess . . . unless someone has a better suggestion? Starting a new IDS thread for all of us would be cumbersome and lonely (there'd be only one participant for many :))
sravana said:
Or should I just do this on my LJ?
LJ? What is? :confused: :D
Solitaire* said:
Soooo, to most of you I'm sure this is TMI (too much information), a shrug, and a "who cares?" but there it is, anyway. :D
Not at all, mate. I have a feeling that this different take on three months with one deck will result in a lot of very personal feelings rising up out of us all. Our choices will doubtless be more than a little influenced by exactly what you've described* - you've just got a bit of a head start on the rest of us, is all.

\m/ Kat

*With the exception of Rodney - whose choice process would be suitable as the subject of a scientific study all on its own . . . :D