Reviving the One Deck Wonder

bleuivy

thorhammer said:
Yay! Good on you . . . and if you don't do that one, I recommend the Shining Tribe (I had its older sister, it was my first deck and I loved it. I'll get it again one day). You're right, the WoC is very personal, and very to the point. I've yet to decide whether this is a good or bad thing. I'm still working through the Suit of Disks in the companion book (never enough time for reading :(), but I think I'll get a lot out of journalling with it and reallly making it my deck. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm still managing to resist the temptation to read with it yet! :D Soon, preeccioouussss!

Its really an amazing deck. Quite unsung, in my opinion. I'm working through the book now as well. Some of the images just take my breath away, some of them seem to be just so relevant to me right now. Its actually a little overwhelming sometimes.

I'm so glad I found someone else who enjoys the Wheel of Change as much as I do! It's an amazing, deep, personal deck. Alright, I think I might be talking myself into working with it. We'll see. The Shining Tribe looks fascinating, and I really do think I might want to start afresh, from the beginning. And for $9 for the set I feel like I can't go wrong. It depends on where my tarot studies are headed I guess. What feels right. I have a couple more days to decide, I guess. The choice of deck doesn't seem that important overall. What I learn about the deck I choose will be important, of course, but what I'm really interested in, what keeps pulling me towards this study, and where I think the real value lies in devoting my time to just one deck is what I will learn about myself. I always learn something new about myself, and something unexpected. That's the most important part for me, and a part that I don't want to lose sight of while focussing on the process of choosing a deck to work with.

bleuivy

sravana said:
Very interesting, Blueivy. I :heart: WoC too. Kat will be very happy to see that you're going to work with that deck.

On my part, I basically *only* read for myself, for spiritual purposes. So I've decided to work with Ironwing for my IDS. My task for today - learn to identify which cards are in what suits, and what their numbers/courts/trump are. There are no labels, and the cards are obscure that way, to put it mildly!

Just saw your post, sravana. Interesting, because that is the direction my tarot studies are headed in more and more. I originally got interested in tarot because of what it could teach me about myself, and I think I lost sight of that during my collecting phase, and my reading-for-others phase. But when I feel most at home with the cards is when I am working with them for myself and myself alone. So now, my friends occasionally ask me for readings for issues they are going through in their lives, and I'm happy to read for them to help them out, but as I start working more with tarot now than the past few months, I am being reminded why I started with tarot to begin with. And am headed more towards reading *only* for myself. Funny, because it feels like I'm coming full circle. The first year I studied tarot, I only did readings for me. And now I'm moving back in that direction.

Okay, so that was longer than I intended it to be.... :)

The Ironwing, by the way, looks like a fantastic, fascinating, personal deck, and would be wonderfull to spend some quality time with exclusively. Have fun with it!

PeterS

23 pages later . . .

Dear Lord this thread just exploded! In short I am in!

I thought that I would mention that if there are any who want to stress the reading aspect of this challenge and don't have an outlet to do a lot of readings to consider the Free Tarot Network. (www.freetarot.us) It is a great site where I read for real clients for free doing one-card e-mail readings. You can sign up for as many or as few as you want each day and week. You can get on the network for just $10 American and you get assigned a mentor. It is a great way to put your reading skills to the test. This will also give you an avenue to stretch yourself in doing actual readings.

I am going to have to decide which deck but it will take a little while. If I get stuck I can always use Rodney's method. No you are not crazy. The decks I am considering are the Liber T, the Archeon (getting great readings for it recently), Revelations or The Lo Scarabeo Tarot.

Recapping my ideas on what has been said before:

I like calling it IDS,

I will need to have the commitment of some sort of pledge,

I like the three-month time period with an option for three more if it is showing results. I like the March 22 or 23 start dates.

I think that this is a great chance to both study a single deck intensively and just read as much as possible. I am also looking to extend my tarot practice in areas of dream interpretation, past life exploration, and journeying.

I am for limiting books to those which are deck specific but feel that if I choose the Liber T, Scion’s guide will be included plus one book Thoth symbolism.

Peter

lilith_in_tree

Solitaire, I think your plan is wonderful--I also feel that that deck was made, whether Karen and Alex meant it to be or not, to really explore one's mind and all the hidden things there--I think it's a deck meant to be used for deep soul-work, it seems so emotional and could be a wonderful tool. Which is why I've got it in the queue for some very intense journaling after I finish this study--seems I've got the next few years mapped out for myself :laugh: And anyway, that wasn't TMI at all--it's been interesting to watch this thread evolve, it seems like a number of us are doing this for very personal reasons, and I think you're very brave to be consciously deciding to look back on your life, and finish the healing you need to do :D
I'm in the same place as bleuivy and sravana, except I've never read for anyone else--for me it's also about learning about myself, I suppose it's a spiritual thing though I stubbornly insist I have no religion--it's about understanding my own mind, trying to get out of my own way and see things clearly, and hopefully it will also help me in my writing. And I'm not sure any of that made sense, but there you have it.

SolSionnach

bleuivy said:
Just saw your post, sravana. Interesting, because that is the direction my tarot studies are headed in more and more. I originally got interested in tarot because of what it could teach me about myself, and I think I lost sight of that during my collecting phase, and my reading-for-others phase. But when I feel most at home with the cards is when I am working with them for myself and myself alone. So now, my friends occasionally ask me for readings for issues they are going through in their lives, and I'm happy to read for them to help them out, but as I start working more with tarot now than the past few months, I am being reminded why I started with tarot to begin with. And am headed more towards reading *only* for myself. Funny, because it feels like I'm coming full circle. The first year I studied tarot, I only did readings for me. And now I'm moving back in that direction.

Okay, so that was longer than I intended it to be.... :)

The Ironwing, by the way, looks like a fantastic, fascinating, personal deck, and would be wonderfull to spend some quality time with exclusively. Have fun with it!

Hi Blueivy,
In my case, I have no interest in predictive fortune-telling: How does he feel about me? Will we ever get back together? How will this job interview go? etc. I don't think that is the best use of tarot, IMO of course. In my case, due to a difficult childhood (emotional and religious abuse etc), I'm almost always asking tarot a variation on "what's going on with me". lol Yes, I see it a spiritual tool, a bit predictive, too.

I started working with Ironwing last night. At this point, I'm just figuring out which card is which, and getting familiar with the images. Once I can easily determine which pip is which, I'll start reading through the descriptions of the Major Arcana, and go from there. I think that "tarot for your self" is going to be a big part of my studies, as well as Mary's book on the tarot court (although the IW "court" aren't meant to be people at all.)

I'm also dying to color the cards, but I'm terrified that I'd ruin them. I'm thinking of running down to the copy shop and printing them up on some cardstock, and working with either watercolor or colored pencils on them - then color copying that, and having the result laminated. I'll probably reduce them at that time, because the deck is a bit big for my hands.

Ouch. Talk about rambling!!! :D

bleuivy

sravana said:
Hi Blueivy,
In my case, I have no interest in predictive fortune-telling: How does he feel about me? Will we ever get back together? How will this job interview go? etc. I don't think that is the best use of tarot, IMO of course.

Don't want to take this thread too off topic, but just wanted to say I agree 100%.

I've decided after some soul searching, that one of my rules for myself for this IDF is that I will not read for anyone but myself for the entirity of the time the study is going on. If friends ask for a reading, which happens about once every two weeks or so, I will have to politely say that I can't read for them now. Oh! Thought! If a friend asks me for a reading while the IDF/ODW is going on, I can give them a deck! I have two shopping bags full of decks and tarot books I've been meaning to get rid of for *months*. I was going to put them up for trade/sale on the trading forum, but I like this idea sooo much better. I won't be reading for people but I will be spreading tarot around. Ohhh, I like it. I like it alot. :D

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
LJ? What is? :confused: :D
\m/ Kat

Live Journal :)

It's the same username I use here dot livejournal dot the usual. :)

I'll probably start my own thread under deck studies (IDS:Ironwing), and that way others can chime in if they like. (like Mi-Shell, hopefully!). I want to do that because I can use other's experiences, etc.

More later - I'm off to work with IW!

SolSionnach

bleuivy said:
Don't want to take this thread too off topic, but just wanted to say I agree 100%.

I've decided after some soul searching, that one of my rules for myself for this IDF is that I will not read for anyone but myself for the entirity of the time the study is going on. If friends ask for a reading, which happens about once every two weeks or so, I will have to politely say that I can't read for them now. Oh! Thought! If a friend asks me for a reading while the IDF/ODW is going on, I can give them a deck! I have two shopping bags full of decks and tarot books I've been meaning to get rid of for *months*. I was going to put them up for trade/sale on the trading forum, but I like this idea sooo much better. I won't be reading for people but I will be spreading tarot around. Ohhh, I like it. I like it alot. :D

That's a great idea, blueivy! In my case, no-one is interested in readings (I haven't done that) - but it sounds like a great way to unload unused books and decks! :D :D :D :p

WolfSpirit

I dreamt about this thread last night :| I dreamt noone could decide what deck to use, lol.
I already started using just the Steele Wizard, but until the "official" starting date I feel I can still look through a few decks that I only have for a few weeks and I want to enjoy the artwork :)

rwcarter

I'll modify my rules post later so everything's all in one place for Kat, but an interesting situation developed yesterday. Next month I'm going to get together with two people I've met online through this forum. One of them told me I could bring whatever decks along that I might want to share. I told her that I'd be in the midst of the IDS (she hadn't actually read this thread, so didn't know what I was talking about:!:), so could only bring the Ancient Egyptian since that's what I'll be using. BUT I told her that they could both go through my profile and if they see anything they might be interested in getting a closer look at to let me know and I'd bring those along.

Especially since I've already given myself an out for looking through other people's decks if given the opportunity :D, I think that's a fair trade-off, esp since I'll prob get an opportunity to test my knowledge of the deck through giving readings to them.

Rodney