Reviving the One Deck Wonder

SolSionnach

WolfSpirit said:
I dreamt about this thread last night :| I dreamt noone could decide what deck to use, lol.
I already started using just the Steele Wizard, but until the "official" starting date I feel I can still look through a few decks that I only have for a few weeks and I want to enjoy the artwork :)

I went ahead and started with Ironwing - and the funniest thing happened today. I wanted to do a reading (don't remember on what), and because I don't know the IW very well at all, I wanted to use another deck! ROFL.

I didn't. (and I didn't with IW, either! I let to opportunity pass).

ETA: I didn't think that I would want to open up another deck so soon. Something tells me this is going to be harder than I thought!

thorhammer

WolfSpirit said:
I dreamt about this thread last night:|I dreamt noone could decide what deck to use, lol.
Yep, that's a worry :D! I'm not sleeping, so no dreaming for me either way!
rwcarter said:
Especially since I've already given myself an out for looking through other people's decks if given the opportunity , I think that's a fair trade-off, esp since I'll prob get an opportunity to test my knowledge of the deck through giving readings to them.
That sounds like a nice gathering, Rodney. And yes, it will be a good chance for you to crack out the AET for others, if you're like me and wish to read for others whilst doing the IDS.
sravana said:
I went ahead and started with Ironwing - and the funniest thing happened today. I wanted to do a reading (don't remember on what), and because I don't know the IW very well at all, I wanted to use another deck! ROFL.
:laugh: Indeed! I think you're the first to encounter something that we're all going to go through - probably more than once! That's one reason I'm going to put all my decks away the day before it starts - so I don't just reach for a deck and "find myself" reading with something other than the WoC.

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

thorhammer said:
That's one reason I'm going to put all my decks away the day before it starts - so I don't just reach for a deck and "find myself" reading with something other than the WoC.

\m/ Kat
Putting decks "away" will mean different things to different people. Since my IDS will be done in the study/gym, I'll make sure there are no other decks in that room. But the 400+ deck collection lives in an open-to-the-world 7 shelf bookcase and a 6 shelf CD tower that I walk by multiple times a day. I won't be able to avoid seeing them, although I'll resist any urges to touch them.

While I could box everything up and put it in the garage, I know that nature abhors a vacuum (especially for three months!) and by the time the IDS is over, the collection wouldn't fit back where it was. Not that that's necessarily a BAD thing, but I don't know that it would be a GOOD thing either. We're pretty maxed out with places to put bookcases and the California real estate market sucks right now for sellers, so buying a bigger house is out of the question. Guess I'd better leave the decks where they are then. ;)

Rodney

Grizabella

Actually, I'm not going to join this because I'm not willing to not do readings with other decks, but I'm still going to be living with the BGS almost exclusively and doing the journalling so I'll just be kind of trotting along beside you all and watching this thread. :)

Alamaris

rwcarter said:
Putting decks "away" will mean different things to different people. Since my IDS will be done in the study/gym, I'll make sure there are no other decks in that room. But the 400+ deck collection lives in an open-to-the-world 7 shelf bookcase and a 6 shelf CD tower that I walk by multiple times a day. I won't be able to avoid seeing them, although I'll resist any urges to touch them.

Rodney
Good luck with that! I can't imagine leaving all my decks out during the study, but mostly because it would just feel inordinately cluttered to have 15+ unused decks sitting on my shelf.

I couldn't find a box, myself, so I compromised by fitting them all (barely!) into a gigantic birthday-gift bag and stuffing that into a low shelf in my closet. Its a long bag, superbly heavy now with all the decks, and on such an awkward level that I won't be tempted. Thank heaven for small favors. I'll have to pull the damn thing out once, since I've got two missing cards arriving in the mail (from a trade deck) and I have to put them away, but only once.

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
Indeed! I think you're the first to encounter something that we're all going to go through - probably more than once! That's one reason I'm going to put all my decks away the day before it starts - so I don't just reach for a deck and "find myself" reading with something other than the WoC.

\m/ Kat

So, I did sit down and draw one card, wrote about it in a spiral journal, very nice.

I was sitting in my usual place, with my back to a bookshelf that holds a bunch of decks.

I found my right hand reaching for the Goddess Knowledge Deck (Seddon Boulet) - as though it had a mind of it's own! I haven't looked at that deck in AGES, or had any desire to! That blew my frickin' mind. It blew my mind because I'm not one who looks at decks every day, I don't throw spreads very often, like someone said here recently, most of my tarot time is spent here, on AT.

It's going to be a LONG three months! lol. But nyah, nyah, nyah, mine will end before yours will, since I started on the 9th! ;) ;) ;P })

SolSionnach

Solitaire* said:
Actually, I'm not going to join this because I'm not willing to not do readings with other decks, but I'm still going to be living with the BGS almost exclusively and doing the journalling so I'll just be kind of trotting along beside you all and watching this thread. :)

Trot along, Solitaire. Perhaps you'll avoid telling us about the neat experiences you have with other decks in the interim?? ;)

bleuivy

thorhammer said:
Indeed! I think you're the first to encounter something that we're all going to go through - probably more than once! That's one reason I'm going to put all my decks away the day before it starts - so I don't just reach for a deck and "find myself" reading with something other than the WoC.

Yup - This happened to me the first time I did a Wonder study. I actually kept a page in my journal with a heading that read "Deck Cravings," lol. I wrote down which decks I had cravings for, and when. It was surprising. I ended up wanting to reach for things that I hadn't touched in months. Resisted every time, and then I started to get really into my deck and stopped wanting to work with other decks.

Looking back, it was actually a pretty fun exercise, and I'm glad I did my "Deck Cravings" page. I think I might just do it again.

SolSionnach

Can I look at the Keys to the Kingdom? Pretty Please? I just got it 2 days ago, and it's "calling" to meeeee!! It's sitting right here, on the coffee table, and that bird on the cover of the box is calling my name!!

}) }) }) })

SolSionnach

::grumble::
Nevermind. I'll just go eat some chocolate.

::grumble::