Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

mosaica

PeterS said:
If you find it online let me know because I was thinking of buying it for the study but if it is online then that would be super.

Sorry, Peter. Someone had posted that the text to Duquette's book was available online, but they were mistaken. I think they may have gotten it confused with the Book of Thoth.

I have Duquette's book on the way, and I just ordered Snuffin's book, too. I should have plenty to keep me busy for a while!

Madame Squee

Kat, thanks for changing my deck. I've been stuffing my face (so to speak :D), reading with every deck I love, cruising Ebay, Amazon and Tarot Garden, making my last deck purchases for the next nine months (another Celtic Dragon and Shakespearian - I have to have my triplets in case the Tarot market dries up between now and Christmas! :bugeyed:), and I've even decided what I'll order in December if I still want it (the Alchemical Renewed and the journal). So, I really need to be here at IDS, and I'll get my statement together ASAP - before anything else happens! :laugh:

:heart:
c.s.

bleuivy

So my camping trip ended early due to a sudden cold snap in the Mountains. Ordinarilly fine, but we had summer weight sleeping bags with us, so it was way too cold to carry on camping.

But....my Shining Tribe came on Friday, so it was still waiting for me when I returned! :D It really is a deep, meaningful, personal deck. Who'd have thunk it? :laugh: I'm going to trim the borders, play around with it and the Wheel of Change over the next couple of days, and have a deck chosen by the start date.

Huzzah!

sapienza

Hi everyone, I'm just back from my week away at the beach. I've done a bit of soul searching and have decided that I am going to join you for this intensive study.

The deck I have chosen is the Alchemical Tarot. I took it away with me and am pleased to say that I'm absolutely loving working with the deck. My main aim is to spend the next three months working with this deck alone so that I can really get my head around it's concepts and really connect with it. I have a bad habit of getting a new deck, reading the companion book, doing a couple of readings and then saying "yeah, I know that deck now". Crazy! My first deck was the Mythic and I used it exclusively for five years before I even got another deck and I developed such a wonderful relationship with that deck. I'd like to try fostering that kind of relationship with the Alchemical.

My only issue is that I do read for others now and then and some people I read for have specific decks they like me to read with. I will have to use other decks for this but I don't believe this will detract in any way from my study of the Alchemical. I also use some Oracle decks for Astrological readings I do but again, I don't think this will be a problem. (well, not a problem for me.....but is it ok with all of you? :D) The big thing for me is to be only LEARNING and working with ONE deck. It's going to be a BIG change for me as I usually have serveral on the go at once.

I do a daily draw and so will obviously use the Alchemical for this and hope to journal and work with the cards as often as I can. I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth into this wonderful deck.

Oh, and my reward.....well I'd love to get the Alchemical Renewed version of this deck so that I can lose the big white column borders. But I'm only going to let myself order it once I can PROVE that I'm committed by focusing on this deck for three months.

Looking forward to working with and supporting everyone who's joined in so far.
Sapienza

sapienza

thorhammer said:
I will not:
- spend idle time here on AT talking about Taroting instead of actually Taroting.

OK, I add that in as well. Definitely something I NEED to focus on :)

Gazel said:
ETA: Oh Almost forgot to mention that I'm having a baby in about six weeks ... I'll see how that will interfere with this project :eek:)

Best wishes for your new arrival Gazel. I have two little ones myself. I'm not sure if this is your first or not, but don't put too much pressure on yourself in the first few months after baby arrives. It's an overwhelming and exhausting time. I wish you all the best and look forward to supporting you when (and if) you find the time to come on-line :)

cronesayer said:
I've been stuffing my face (so to speak :D), reading with every deck I love, cruising Ebay, Amazon and Tarot Garden, making my last deck purchases for the next nine months

:laugh: So good to know I'm not alone in the world of 'stuffing my face' with all things tarot. Thanks for sharing this story :)

Madame Squee

Okay, this is my statement for my IDS plan.

I, cronesayer:

1. Will start IDS at the Vernal Equinox at about 11:50 pm on the 19th of March, and I will continue until the Winter Solstice on December 21st at about 5:05 am.

2. Will read only from my chosen deck, the Shakespearian Tarot (by Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki), including when I read for others, study, journal, idly flick-through, mindlessly shuffle, etc.

3. Will not purchase or trade for another deck prior to the official end of my IDS sojourn on the Winter Solstice, or waste my time, looking for another deck in any venue.

4. Will be aware that there may be side effects to the cessation of compulsive deck-buying and will deal with them when and if they surface and not allow them to take control of and/or sabotage my IDS plan.

5. Will allow myself the use of any and all supportive reading material that I currently own or can borrow from the library, including the companion book, non-card-specific texts (eg. 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card), and the works of William Shakespeare.

6. Will handle and read with my deck every day, take it with me everywhere and keep it under my pillow at night, because I agree that physical comfort with the cards is important to knowing my deck.

7. Will journal with my deck at least once a week and record a reading at least once a day.

8. Will visit the IDS group thread every day, not only to help motivate and encourage me to delve further into the symbolism and meaning of the cards, but to help and motivate me to stick to my IDS plan, as well as to encourage other group members in theirs.

:heart:
c.s.

rwcarter

Getting Ready for my IDS

I've spent much of the day scanning in all the cards from the Ancient Egyptian Tarot and resizing them. Now I'm in the process of creating my own journal. Each page will have the scanned picture of the card, info from the companion book and lots of space for me to put in my own notes. Want to get it finished before I go to bed and I'm already tired, so I should get back to it.

Much love:heart: and support:thumbsup: to my fellow IDSers!

Rodney

thorhammer

cronesayer said:
4. Will be aware that there may be side effects to the cessation of compulsive deck-buying and will deal with them when and if they surface and not allow them to take control of and/or sabotage my IDS plan.
CS, I love this part. Very realistic. And it's one reason that having such a great big group of people will help us all - there's always going to be one or another of us online (most likely, anyway) so if there's a compulsion to buy-buy-buy, it's just a matter of asking for some propping-up here :D

Rodney, that sounds like a brilliant idea. Good for you. Meanwhile, I'm still struggling (machete in hand, beset by tygers) throught the jungle of my Last Hurrah readings (bangs head on desk . . . "Why??? Why????!?" :D). There's a light at the end of the tunnel, though - only three to go!!! Plus my Faery reading for March, of course, but the Fae are always a pleasure to work with. I think they'll be the deck I miss the most. That's going to be hard, especially when it's a deck I could devote an IDS to, as well.

\m/ Kat

Star-Willow

rwcarter said:
I've spent much of the day scanning in all the cards from the Ancient Egyptian Tarot and resizing them. Now I'm in the process of creating my own journal. Each page will have the scanned picture of the card, info from the companion book and lots of space for me to put in my own notes.

What a brilliant idea! I hope you don't mind my following suit..... what a great way to learn, get close to and understand more the deck your about to study intensively :)

sapienza

rwcarter said:
I've spent much of the day scanning in all the cards from the Ancient Egyptian Tarot and resizing them. Now I'm in the process of creating my own journal. Each page will have the scanned picture of the card, info from the companion book and lots of space for me to put in my own notes.

I agree also, what a wonderful idea! I'm in the process of getting a folder together to use as a journal as well. I've tried journal books in the past but I prefer the idea of a folder that you can add in pages and rearrange as necessary. I love the idea of having the card images in the journal. I might be a copy cat as well :) This is getting exciting now....still scary, but exciting :D