Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

afrosaxon

Three down, one to go!

Hi all,

Yesterday, I finished the Rada (Swords) suit in my deck. Today I started on the Congo (Cups). If I stay on track, I should be starting the majors in about 2 weeks. Woohoo!

Wow, has it been a month and a half already?

Star-Willow said:
.I love this deck but sheesh, I should of gone for something a little less involved I think?

That's part of the challenge...getting a deck that requires you to really sink your teeth into it. Challenges help us grow. ;)

T.

arcana17

Rodney, I hope your partner will get better soon, I will send some reiki to him tonight.

I'm still working with the Thoth, trying to journal everyday.

Myrrha

rwcarter said:
My partner was admitted to the hospital on Monday with a severe kidney infection. I've spent the last two days into the late evening at the hospital. Haven't touched my cards since Sunday. Partner prob won't be released before the weekend, so it's highly unlikely I'll do anything tarot-related this week.... But I am getting lots of knitting done in the hospital though....

Congratulations Gazel!

Rodney

That sounds unpleasant. Blessings to both of you and I hope he recovers speedily.

--Myrrha

Star-Willow

afrosaxon said:
That's part of the challenge...getting a deck that requires you to really sink your teeth into it. Challenges help us grow. ;)T.

Yea I know T. but some days I feel like I'm doing my head in :bugeyed:

mosaica

Star-Willow said:
Yea I know T. but some days I feel like I'm doing my head in :bugeyed:

Don't feel bad, Star-Willow. I ended up putting my Thoth away and switching to something less intense because I have too many other things going on in my life right now. I ran out of energy to keep going with it. But, hey, I stuck with it for six weeks, which is the longest I've ever gone using one deck. Do whatever you feel you need to do.

Mosaica

rwcarter

Thanks for everyone's good wishes. 10+ hour days at the hospital are leaving me no time and way too tired to do anything tarot-related. I glance at a few threads (esp this one!) in the morning when I'm having my coffee before getting ready to go back to the hospital.

At the rate things are going now, I have no idea when I'm going to get back to the IDS. I really miss teasing out the secrets hidden in the cards, but my mind and body are a little too fried right now to do that. Good thing I can knit on auto-pilot. (Finished that second sleeve yesterday. Gotta steam block it before I go to the hospital. By the time I come home tonight, I might have a completed sweater!)

Rodney

Oddity

I just want to say: thanks to everyone who gave tips and advice on what to do a couple of days ago, when I was feeling a bit low and uninspired. I think I just needed a little break to decide where to go next with the studies. I'm feeling much more positive now and ready to pick up the cards again, so thanks! :)

Rodney, I hope your partner gets well quickly and can come home with you soon.

And congratulations, Gazel, to the new family member!

WolfSpirit

rwcarter said:
Thanks for everyone's good wishes. 10+ hour days at the hospital are leaving me no time and way too tired to do anything tarot-related. I glance at a few threads (esp this one!) in the morning when I'm having my coffee before getting ready to go back to the hospital.

At the rate things are going now, I have no idea when I'm going to get back to the IDS. I really miss teasing out the secrets hidden in the cards, but my mind and body are a little too fried right now to do that. Good thing I can knit on auto-pilot. (Finished that second sleeve yesterday. Gotta steam block it before I go to the hospital. By the time I come home tonight, I might have a completed sweater!)

Rodney

I hope your partner gets well soon, Rodney. I know all about the calming influence of knitting :) hope it helps. And don't worry, your cards will wait for you !

I am going outside, working on my journal. I have not done much journalling yet for IDS but I am now getting in full swing and enjoying it.
I am also getting a longing for other decks though...strangely, I am missing the feel of other decks ! The Steele Wizard is beautiful but the cards are so big and hard to handle - I am looking forward to using decks again that shuffle like a dream ! Pity, I really love the SW otherwise...

Disa

Rodney I hope things are improving for you and your partner. I know it must be a very difficult time. I'm sending all the positive thoughts I can to you both.
----------------------

As for the IDS, I almost felt like today I didn't want to continue. I have done all the major spreads in the book. There are a few more card based spreads I haven't tried but some of them don't seem to apply to me atm.

The pull towards the Bohemian Gothic is strong (very strong) and the Buckland Romany is on the way(both ordered before I started IDS). Though I do love my Tarot of the Crone, I am really missing the familiarity of traditional decks. So, I pulled out my Tarot of the Crone and lit the candle in my cauldron and asked that I receive some guidance from my Crones as to what needs to be done. Instinctively I read through the first spread I did for the IDS and realized that this is a test! This is a hurdle meant to cause me to go deeper into the deck, not to abandon it. Then I realized, too that I have been ignoring the "Title words" for each card that is written in the book(Ex. 4 of swords- Reason). I have been reading the overall meanings of each card in the spreads I have been doing but not really delving into the cards individually. What else have I been missing?

I decided to pull 5 cards at random, and journal as much info on each card as possible,to hopefully gain something more that is hidden beneath the surface. So, what happened? 4 of the 5 cards were cards I have seen repeatedly in my studies so far! Confirmation I think that I have been missing some important messages. So here I go on my merry way continuing with the IDS in hopes of revealing the secrets contained within the Tarot of the Crone. I hope these secrets will go with me as I travel the road of tarot with any decks I use, to give me a better understanding, and to make me a better reader.

I just thought I'd share my first real stumbling block (I'm surprised it didn't come sooner.) in the hopes of inspiring any one else who may be struggling to push on. Look back at your reasons for starting the IDS and see if you can rekindle the fire.

Good luck to you all.

Disa

Alamaris

I'm baaaack! :D

Leaping back into the IDS fray with the good ol' Universal Waite. I'm keeping the rules pretty easy on myself this time: keep the deck-buying to a minimum (which thankfully I've been doing well on lately); I can touch other decks but not do readings with them (I have a friend coming over sometime to pick out one of my decks as a gift, so I'll have to touch them!); I only need to journal when I feel like it needs writing down. I'll have my hands full enough with redesigning my personal oracle without fretting about daily draws and such.

All in all, I'm just glad to be back in the driver's seat now that all that life drama has blown over. And excited to be back, as well!