Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

thorhammer

sapienza said:
I honestly can't see myself ever using another deck. This one is the whole package for me. It's weird because I spent about 5 years searching for 'the one', only to finally accept there is no 'one' deck. And now I've found the one! This deck has everything I want in a deck.
Do you think that you would have discovered that depth of feeling for the deck anyway, without the commitment to the IDS? I seem to remember back at the beginning, that you had some trouble deciding on a deck . . . or was that someone else? Do you think that it was an inevitable match, or a product of taking the time to get to know that one deck without distractions?

And thanks for the finger-crossing :):heart:

\m/ Kat

sapienza

In the beginning I didn't find it too difficult to choose which deck to use but I certainly had some trouble staying committed to using only one deck. I fell off the wagon a few times in the first week or so :)

It's an interesting question you ask about whether I'd have felt like this about the deck anyway? I guess I may have. The problem I had was that this deck had been sitting on my shelf not getting the attention it deserved (like many others I have) and so without having the IDS to make myself focus on it, I may not have given it enough time to fully appreciate it. So, I think that yes, giving the deck time has been the key. I guess if I'd have chosen a different deck then maybe I'd feel this way about it, who knows? I think I now realise that the secret of finding 'the one' is to choose any deck that you find appealing and whose symbolism resonates with you and then just add a couple of solid months of undivided attention, and you'll no doubt end up with a deck that feels like 'the one'.

When I first discovered tarot I had a Mythic deck and I used it exclusively for about 5 years before I embarked on a buying frenzy. I loved the Mythic but I outgrew it. In the 5 years that I continued to search for decks that were right for me I realise now I was just dealing with tarot on a much more superficial level and I didn't connect with any of the decks I worked with during that time at as deep a level as with my original Mythic, or now with the Alchemical. So I guess, to summarise what's becoming a long babbling post.....I think TIME is the key :)

I'd be interested to hear what others views on this are after IDS'ing for a couple of months now.

Scion

Absolutely the same, sapienza. I have been pretty exclusive with the Liber T for well over a year now, but officially IDSing and writing my page a day has anchored the deck for me even more deeply. In a strange way, the time spent looking only at Liber T this closely has changed the way I see other decks forever. I'm much more demanding of decks I see, and much less patient with cobbled together dreck. I have a hard time seeing why anyone wouldn't want to knuckle down, not because I'm a fascist but because I don't see the point of dabbling. Divination is the act of mapping the landscape of time in both directions. It stands to reason that Time is required to develop any kind of skill at it.

I think the IDS has made me more hardcore, which is saying something... cause I was kinda hardcore when I started. :D Commitment. Diligence. Depth. Research. Focus. Curiosity. Scope. Expertise. I'm getting to where I'm very demanding with Tarot both as an object and an activity these days. I think I'm starting to be demanding about readers too. I expect more from readings, but I also find myself seeing people's connections to their own decks differently. I guess this IDS has galvanized my impatience with fluffy quick-fixes and my enthusiasm about the possibilities of Tarot. It is a question of Time... in a faceted and profound sense.

I did something right when the IDS started that's proved surprisingly powerful. Windows XP & Vista have an animated screensaver that uses images from a folder to create a three dimensional animated slideshow... forming cubes and carousels out of images. Well, I set it to use only the Liber T deck. And the funny thing is, I've gotten in the habit of using it for "readings on the fly" even when I'm on the phone or mulling a problem. My computer just fans through these images in 3D layouts. The amazing thing is, it's come to be a kind of Tarot "subtitle" to my day. I catch myself flicking my eyes to it during conference calls or when I'm outlining. Not because I'm reading for myself at every moment, but because it has made me aware of how patterns and resonance plays out between the Liber T and what I'm doing. My virtual animated Liber T maps Time constantly fo rme, and it's started to spill iover into the way I read situations. Readings extend beyond the cards. My intuition is more penetrative and specific. Little bits of research connect in startling ways at strange moments. Time.

An entirely rewarding experience, this IDS. The writing is racing along. The deck is more specific and direct than ever. Stars Eternal, baby!

thorhammer

sapienza said:
I think I now realise that the secret of finding 'the one' is to choose any deck that you find appealing and whose symbolism resonates with you and then just add a couple of solid months of undivided attention, and you'll no doubt end up with a deck that feels like 'the one'.
I completely agree, and that was a part of the reason I wanted to start this exercise in the first place. I "cheated" a little the other day, because I've got a trading thread going and I wanted to make sure the decks going out were complete and in order, so I was handling other ones (mea culpa!:|). I came to the conclusion that none of them have any grab for me any more, or a tenuous tug at best. I think that will change after a while when I start working with another one, but for now I'm a solid WoC user, nothing else!
Scion said:
I think the IDS has made me more hardcore, which is saying something... cause I was kinda hardcore when I started.
Dear Gods! We've created a monster!!! :D It's interesting to hear you say that, Scion, that making the conscious decision to work with a deck on its own terms has helped to deepen your experience of it.

I think that phrase, "on its own terms" has been the key for me. I didn't approach the WoC with the mindset that I could wedge it into a predestined mould. I don't know how that happened - it just did. Perhaps it was something special about the deck itself - probably, I suppose. But right out of the box, it was a mystery to me, but not one that frustrated me. Rather, it intrigued me and now I am finding myself thinking in terms of the WoC rather than the mishmash of RWS-derived meanings that I've absorbed throughout my Tarot adventure. The WoC reads like no other deck I've ever used - it's different in a way and on a level that I can't even articulate. It's strange, but even though I know I will use other decks, I just can't imagine bonding with any other one the way I have with this one.

Of course, no doubt I'll be proven wrong in a matter of weeks or months or even years . . . as the next "project" is going to be the Thoth/Liber T!!!! So Scion, get that damn book published and I'll be the first in line to buy a copy - signed, of course! :D

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Scion said:
The amazing thing is, it's come to be a kind of Tarot "subtitle" to my day. I catch myself flicking my eyes to it during conference calls or when I'm outlining. Not because I'm reading for myself at every moment, but because it has made me aware of how patterns and resonance plays out between the Liber T and what I'm doing. My virtual animated Liber T maps Time constantly fo rme, and it's started to spill iover into the way I read situations. Readings extend beyond the cards. My intuition is more penetrative and specific.
I know exactly what you mean. For me, it's kind of like living inside the Tarot deck - I find myself suddenly acting out the part of one of the court cards, posing like one of the majors, or a new, previously hidden shade of meaning will just fall into place with a very soft but endlessly resounding click . . . it's all very exciting, but also . . . reassuring.

I sound strange. I know it.

\m/ Kat

Scion

That's okay. I AM strange. I know it. :D We can be strange together. :thumbsup:

thorhammer

Sweet!

I always thought that about you, Scion . . . mind you, coming from me, it's one of the highest compliments I can give! :laugh:

I'm off, home to get an early day after yesterday's marathon effort . . . I might start this reading for my colleague!

\m/ Kat

Neely75

Just wanted to stop in and congratulate you all on the progress you're making with your IDS work, and thank You all for posting of your experiences. I'm so glad to read that the IDS has been such a positive experience for so many. Even if there have been a few bumps in the road. The bumps are all a part of it, and I'm pleased to see that people are sticking with it and expanding their knowledge and experience with their chosen decks.

I've been silently reading along for most of the time this has been running. I'm considering doing my own little IDS. I'm busy with a pile of books to read at the moment, and not spending much time with cards. But once I get back into it I'd like to dedicate some time to really getting to know one deck inside and out.

Enjoy the rest of your IDS work! And thanks again for sharing with us all.

Faolainn Storm

BINGO! I just got it.
thorhammer said:
I think that phrase, "on its own terms" has been the key for me. I didn't approach the WoC with the mindset that I could wedge it into a predestined mould.
I just realised my problem with my IDS study - my deck doesn't like the way I've being trying to approach it. I've been trying to study it the way one would study a new language or maths. You know, through dedicated hardwork and plenty of homework. But this is not the Tarot of Dreams "own terms". It is not maths, but poetry, you can't break it down and analyse it, and if you do try, it just disappears.
I guess I have to readjust my terms of study. Make it a love affair, not a chore, and allow myself to dream WITH my deck, not analyse the beauty out of it.

Faolainn Storm

I probably should have got this sooner - after all its only called the Tarot of DREAMS!! :|

PolarBear

Hi all,

sapienza said:
I've lost all desire to buy any more decks and I'm starting to consider getting rid of some of the ones I have.

I too have lost most (though not quite all) of my desire for new decks, which is good for both my bank account and my storage space. I have got rid of quite a lot of decks that I impulse bought in my desire for "the" deck but that turned out to be one night stands :) And the more I bought - the further away the "prefect" deck seemed to get.
I find being monogomous hard (the Druid Plant Oracle is constantly trying to flirt with me :)) - but it is paying off.

sapienza said:
I think I now realise that the secret of finding 'the one' is to choose any deck that you find appealing and whose symbolism resonates with you and then just add a couple of solid months of undivided attention, and you'll no doubt end up with a deck that feels like 'the one'.

Again, I agree - decks are like relationships. There will always be cards in a deck that are not quite your heart's desire - but if most of the deck calls to you, then the secret seems me to commit to it, and to avoid comparing it to other decks. (And maybe I should buy the Llewellyn a bunch of flowers every now and again! :)

Love and hugs to all,

PolarBear