Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Oddity

sapienza said:
In the beginning I didn't find it too difficult to choose which deck to use but I certainly had some trouble staying committed to using only one deck. I fell off the wagon a few times in the first week or so :)

It's an interesting question you ask about whether I'd have felt like this about the deck anyway? I guess I may have. The problem I had was that this deck had been sitting on my shelf not getting the attention it deserved (like many others I have) and so without having the IDS to make myself focus on it, I may not have given it enough time to fully appreciate it. So, I think that yes, giving the deck time has been the key. I guess if I'd have chosen a different deck then maybe I'd feel this way about it, who knows? I think I now realise that the secret of finding 'the one' is to choose any deck that you find appealing and whose symbolism resonates with you and then just add a couple of solid months of undivided attention, and you'll no doubt end up with a deck that feels like 'the one'.

When I first discovered tarot I had a Mythic deck and I used it exclusively for about 5 years before I embarked on a buying frenzy. I loved the Mythic but I outgrew it. In the 5 years that I continued to search for decks that were right for me I realise now I was just dealing with tarot on a much more superficial level and I didn't connect with any of the decks I worked with during that time at as deep a level as with my original Mythic, or now with the Alchemical. So I guess, to summarise what's becoming a long babbling post.....I think TIME is the key :)

I'd be interested to hear what others views on this are after IDS'ing for a couple of months now.
Yes, time is the key.

I'm doing my studies with a plain RWS deck. I used to not like that deck at all before I started the IDS. But now that I've had to use it exclusively for a while and really look at some of the pictures (that I used to just skim over before) I'm finding lots of little details that I like, really like, and that feels a bit... weird, and unexpected, but nice. It's like having to spend time with some person you think you have nothing in common with, and after a while you realize that you're actually having fun and enjoying the conversation...

I don't think this will be my main reading deck when I'm done with the IDS. I doubt it will even be among the favourites. :) But I feel I've at least given it a fair chance, and even if I don't think this is THE deck for me, I have come to sort of like it, in its own weird way. And I'm glad I did it.

My enthusiasm about these studies was a bit low a while ago, but I think it was all about finding the balance, finding the pace and method that works for me and the deck. I'm thinking of extending my IDS studies for another month or so after Midsummer, if I don't feel like I'm done with this deck by then. I might keep doing this for a while for as long as it keeps being interesting, and then maybe switch to another deck... I want to try this with other decks too, I'm just amazed at how rewarding it has been, even if it has been difficult at times.

sapienza said:
I've lost all desire to buy any more decks and I'm starting to consider getting rid of some of the ones I have.
Quite the opposite here, I want other decks! :laugh:
But not just any deck, I know what I will be looking for now.
I've learnt at least as much about myself while doing these studies, as about the deck I've been using. Funny, that.

WolfSpirit

I am sure I will keep using the Steele Wizard after the IDS, I also know I will keep studying it. The first month of the IDS I did use the SW exclusively but I did not much of an intensive study, I am getting more into that now and although I love my SW dearly, I am also looking forward to being able to use my other decks !
I chose the SW because it is such an all-round "common sense" deck but last weekend I really missed not being able to use the Tarot of the Spirit - I don't think I would like to use/study the ToS exclusively but I think I will devote more time to it - maybe use it together with one other deck.

I love my other decks too much to not miss them, but then I remember why I started the IDS: to find the rest to study one deck, to focus on study and not on acquiring more decks. It has deepened my study to concentrate on one deck and not shift my focus from deck to deck - and that is why I started this in the first place.
I have noticed that sometimes I feel like I did when I just started studying tarot, and everything seemed so new and exciting. It's great to have that old enthusiasm back :)

Disa

I definitely miss my other decks, too. The Tarot of the Crone is so good for introspection and works in reading for others, too. But my heart belongs to the DruidCraft. I've definitely learned alot about me while working with this deck. Not just me as a person, but me as a reader and the different levels that decks can take you. (though I think I will always feel that I am just scratching the surface)
I've overcome a few trials, but I don't think I've gotten way down deep into understanding, yet. Maybe I'm not putting in enough effort, but it's as much as I can while balancing life, too. My desire for buying decks is definitely quelled. I want those on my wishlist, and that's about it. I have plenty that I need to spend time with. The Tarot of the Crone will always be a special deck to me, but I don't think it will always be my main reading deck.

SolSionnach

Joining the IDS again...

Hello all!
Okay, so I'm slow. :) I've decided to try an IDS with the Universal Fantasy between now and the Solstice... and if that is working, I may well go through the Equinox. I've been interested in this deck for a while, and since it doesn't have a book, this may be more of an ODW than anything. Who knows, maybe I'll write a little book on the deck, like Scion is doing for Liber T?!! :thumbsup:

I haven't been doing anything with tarot for some time, and on impulse I got out this deck (which I had never used before) and here I go. :)

On choosing this deck: I don't really love it, though I find the images intriguing and quirky. I was influenced by Wytchwood's recent idea of using a deck that was way beyond her usual taste (BBCats), just to see how it went. I thought of using the cats, but decided that UF is more interesting to me right now.

Wish me luck!

Llynn

Hi, I haven't posted in a while but I am following the thread. I realized early on that, personally, I'm not in an Intensive Deck Study but an Exclusive Deck Study! I am awed by the work (depth of study and the organization) that some people are doing. I simply exchanged my Hanson-Roberts for the DruidCraft, and my Psycards for the Druid Animal Oracle, do my usual daily draws and take those as the starting point for further research, and only use the DC for readings. At the moment I am 'Interviewing the Majors' and that is the most structured thing I have done with the deck - it is, however, most revealing.

Apart from two decks that were on my wish list I haven't bought any others - and truth to tell I don't feel that I want to any more - I seem to be getting less of a collector and more of a reader! And that's because I now love the DruidCraft (although I am waiting for the complete Gaian with bated breath - it is so beautiful.)

afrosaxon

Faolainn Storm said:
I guess I have to readjust my terms of study. Make it a love affair, not a chore, and allow myself to dream WITH my deck, not analyse the beauty out of it.
:|

Well said, FS!

I may not have made the progress that I did with the NOVT (and enjoyed it overall) if I didn't love the deck so much. Loving the deck made me want to know more about it.

Speaking of the NOVT...I FINISHED ALL OF THE MINORS!! Woohoo!! :party:

*faint*

Tomorrow I start on the majors.

Now, to type up the notes on the Rada and Congo suits, and send them over to Sulis so that the index can be updated...*sigh* :D

T.

afrosaxon

Llynn said:
(although I am waiting for the complete Gaian with bated breath - it is so beautiful.)

Yes yes yes! I have the majors-only deck and the artwork is so stunning!

I think the Gaian may be next up for my personal IDS. :D

I had a phone reading done by Joanna Colbert last year with the deck...oh wow oh wow! To see some of the minors in the reading...WOW! Love that 2 of Fire (2 of Wands)...such a sexy card!

T.

Alamaris

I keep thinking that I've made a update/reply here, only to discover that in reality, I'd only been thinking it. Go figure. Well, now I can't make any excuses -- have to wait for breakfast to cook anyways.

I've been pretty faithful to the Universal Waite, doing some spreads and actually doing a face-to-face reading for a friend. I blanked out on the meanings and didn't get anything intuitively (not that I read intuitively anyways) so we had to muddle around for a book. We both forgave me, since I was quite sick at the time...for a good five days, I sounded just like Darth Vader! It was all kinds of awesome, since I felt fine otherwise.

I've noticed that my taste in decks has changed lately; whether that's due to the IDS or not, I've no idea. I keep a small collection of decks on a shelf to look at/shuffle occasionally, and last night felt like I needed to change it. Quite a few "themed" Lo Scarabeos went away, as well as the Robin Wood and Fenestra, to be replaced by the Golden, the Minchiate, the Circle of Life, and the Holitzka I Ching deck. More classic tastes, perhaps?

I just hope practice really does make perfect, because I've been doing a lot of readings on fictional people and the like. I have a friend who's also a writer and tarot reader, and we're going to kill time on the almost 4 hour ferry trip on Friday by doing readings for made-up characters and stories. It'll be a blast.

PeterS

Alamaris said:
I just hope practice really does make perfect, because I've been doing a lot of readings on fictional people and the like. I have a friend who's also a writer and tarot reader, and we're going to kill time on the almost 4 hour ferry trip on Friday by doing readings for made-up characters and stories. It'll be a blast.

I love doing practice readings for my favorite reality TV shows. I know that it could almost be considered a third-party reading but I do not think it hurts.

The last and to great succes was for the finale of this Survivor season. I did a three card reading. The positions were 1) Who would win the (first) Immunity challenge? 2) Who would loss the vote to get into the finals 3) Who would win the whole season? It was great because it gave answers that I could understand. Now as excited as I was that the cards spoke to the situation, I was disappointed that they spoiled me on the outcome.

Peter

Myrrha

Alamaris said:

Alamaris, how does this work? Do you do find a fictional character who is in a predicament in the story and do a reading for about the predicament or just general readings for the character? Or do you make up the character and then do the reading for them? Any chance you could post an example?

This sounds like a good way to do some readings but I'm not sure how to get started.

--Myrrha