Soul cards by Deborah Koff-Chapin ?

Bernice

Anyone seen/have this deck (either 1 or 2) ?

Any special thoughts or opinions about it? I've been looking at the images (Soul Cards1) and having trouble with what they're meant to be representing. They seem to be quite feminist.... or maybe psycho. Whatever, they're weird. The website reviews imply that they evoke a response from the soul. But they baffle me.......

Bee

Mi-Shell

I bought both sets a few yeas ago; hoping that I could use them with my people in recovery and or when reading for all my clients with serious health issues, but I find that there are a lot of quite disturbing cards in the decks.
In another post here - about this deck I wrote:
Too many Screamers!
Most friends - or people attending, when I teach about divination with cards find them disturbing/scary....
There are a ew cards I personaly like, but still....

Bernice

Thank you for responding Mi-Shell :)

I'm not terribly fond of these cards, they seem to be images of a disturbed mind. As you have said, there are a number of 'screamer' cards, plus others that are frankly 'psyco' - someones' nightmares maybe?

In an attempt to try and connect with them I was able to give a name to 3 or 4. But I've no idea how this could possibly would work out in reading. I've called number 7, The Hot Potato.

WEIRD!

Bee

Faolainn Storm

I have both decks and have used them a few times. I find they are quite good for stimulating intuitive messages, but as I get messages of those sort from any tarot or oracle I ended up finding them somewhat redundant.
Its been a while since I used them, but I don't recall finding them dark or disturbing. But I did find that they hit a spot deep inside me. They are confronting, they really cut to the chase and give you a hit to the subconscious (for want of a better word).
I wouldn't call them easy to work with, but they are effective. But not soft and fluffy like many oracles. They have a real edge.

FS

Acacia

I know the artist. I've seen the process of making the images and I've tried my hand at the Touch Drawing techinque (do they mention this technique in the companion book? It's a fascinating method www.touchdrawing.com/ ).

Anyway, I agree that while there are a number of screamers in the decks there are also many beautiful, healing images. It's just that the screamers tend to stand out.

This is a deck I enjoy looking through and occasionally pull one or two card to sink into. I've not found it a deck that works well with words or linear thinking. What I mean is I can sink into the image and emerge with a deeply textured feeling experience, but not a narrative.

Bernice

Well now, that's two more recommendations. Think I'll have to go over the images more attentively again.... Thank you for the feedback.

But you've got to admit, it's a 'dark' deck.

Bee

HearthCricket

I bought both sets and no longer have them. While there were a few cards I like, the majority seemed depressing and disturbing and I wasn't getting anything worthwhile out of them as an oracle, so not for me.

Faolainn Storm

I still wouldn't use the term "dark" for them. Direct, unsubtle, blunt, even tactless and aggressive at times, but not dark.
They're the sort of cards that pin you down and hit you over the head with the message, punch you in the gut with a blow that really knocks you for six if your not expecting it. So I guess this could be considered "dark". But to me this is more tactlessness than darkness.
But then I'm known for having the tact and subtlety of a sledgehammer :D so perhaps the "darkness" has passed me by. Maybe they suit my personality as such!

FS

Debra

I didn't keep mine either. Within a few days, I'd decided to let them go. The images remind me too much of the "tormented soul" drawings that angst-filled teenagers draw in their school notebooks. And the images are all visually dark--dark colors, a bit muddy, not much white. Light-less, I'd say.

Seeing how they are made makes me think they might work better as sculptures than cards.

raeanne

Hi all,
I have both Soul Cards I and II. I love them both. I don’t see them as ‘dark’; ‘deep’ yes, but not ‘dark’. One of my favorites is in deck I http://www.touchdrawing.com/3SoulCards/SC1/pages/19 card.htm
Sometimes when I look at this image I see someone hiding. Other times it looks like someone just beginning to emerge from the womb. Most of these cards have a duality to them that continually surprises me. The more I look at them, the more I see.