Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

afrosaxon

Couldn't resist...

I picked up my Daughters of the Moon deck and started shuffling through it...then I separated out the suits and majors...:cool:

This deck is going to be as much of--if not more of--a challenge than the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot!

For starters, the deck is 5.5 inches across in diameter (it's a round deck) and 1.25 inches thick. Shuffling is going to be an experience. :laugh:

Secondly, there is no king/queen/knight/page or specific equivalents...it's maiden/mother/crone. :bugeyed:

Thirdly, almost everyone is naked on the cards. That's just...wow. I mean, I remembered this, but I haven't used this deck in almost 10 years. Still...wow.

Fourth...the deck is in German (well, at least I'm learning a new language); at least the book is in English! :D

Fifth, I flipped through some of the cards and some of the meanings are completely different than RWS. Hoo boy...

I'm not putting an specific end date on my IDS, and I will probably pick up another deck (more likely the NOVT) in the meantime. But this is my second IDS and doing so won't interfere with my studies. And I'm definitely using my oracles and runes.

That's about it.

T.

thorhammer

It sure sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, afrosaxon! Mind you, if your efforts with the NOVT are anything to go by, you'll wipe the floor with that deck, with one hand tied behind your back! :D I have faith in you :)

Time is becoming an issue. I hurt myself at work yesterday, which has severely limited my ability to fulfil my duties - which you'd think would mean I have more time, not less! But no, it means that I'll be in the office a lot more, doing things that require me to do . . . *shudders* . . . overtime . . .! Horror of horrors!

So while I'm still focussed on the deck set by set, I'm finding it difficult to get a sufficient space of time in which to sit down and get into the right mindset. Oh well. These things happen, and are sent to try us! I'll just have to slow down a bit!

\m/ Kat

Promise

Now that things have calmed down a bit for me, I'm pondering trying the IDS again. My biggest concern right now is that the deck I would be using, my Minute Deck, is not laminated in any way, and I'm sort of afraid of creasing a card or dropping one into something wet. Then again, I'm also afraid of attempting to laminate or seal them in some way, because if I screw up, that's the end of that.

I really would like to try again, I just have to get my head around it. My IDS before turned into more of a comfort than an actual study, which was what I needed then, but now I think I'd benefit from more of a structured study.

I'm still pondering things like time-frame and method of journaling. Paper journals are nice for my more personal writing, but maybe this would be better suited to a blog format for me. I dunno, still thinking about that.

afrosaxon

Promise said:
Now that things have calmed down a bit for me, I'm pondering trying the IDS again. My biggest concern right now is that the deck I would be using, my Minute Deck, is not laminated in any way, and I'm sort of afraid of creasing a card or dropping one into something wet. Then again, I'm also afraid of attempting to laminate or seal them in some way, because if I screw up, that's the end of that.

Would it be possible to get a second Minute deck, as a backup? I don't know how much they cost, or if cost is a factor right now, or even if it's a hard deck to come by. Just a thought.

Promise said:
I really would like to try again, I just have to get my head around it. My IDS before turned into more of a comfort than an actual study, which was what I needed then, but now I think I'd benefit from more of a structured study.

Try, try again. :)

Promise said:
I'm still pondering things like time-frame and method of journaling. Paper journals are nice for my more personal writing, but maybe this would be better suited to a blog format for me. I dunno, still thinking about that.

Maybe both?

You can do paper, and then maybe type up your observations in a Word document...then, if you like the typing part, you can get a blog page somewhere.

Just my $.02. Welcome back! *hugs*

T.

Owl Song

I only lasted a couple of weeks with my original IDS and I really want to start again, and this time I will finish. Reading over posts from the past couple of weeks, I'm inspired by each and every one of you who have committed to your IDS. You've made it possible for me to pick this up again.

I'm choosing my deck. I've thought about:

The Fairytale Tarot
Universal Fantasy
Mythic

The Fairytale was the deck I used before. I'm still very drawn to it, love the stories, and would love to try it again but I'm also afraid I won't be successful.

The Universal Fantasy is a departure from tradition with lush artwork and intricate themes.

The Mythic is simple and deep all at once. I've read about so many posters that have said it made Tarot spring to life for them.

I'll decide within the next 24 hours.

Happy to be returning!

thorhammer

Hey, Promise and Starlily! Good to have you back :).

Promise ~ It might be worth trying to get a second Minute - I know there aren't that many out there, but hey, I traded mine away, so maybe you'll have some luck!

Starlily ~ Wow, quite a choice. I only have the UF, and I can imagine it would benefite from a study (I know there was at least one person in the ODW that used it, although I can't remember who). But then again, the other two, with their background stories, mmight provide a bit more "meat" for study. Good luck choosing - I look forward to hearing about your decision!

\m/ Kat

Owl Song

Thank you Kat!

I've decided on my deck. I am going to finish what I began and work with the Fairytale. It's an amazing deck and it deserves my time.

This time I am keeping things simple. I hope Prism doesn't mind if I steal her pledge; it is exactly the commitment I want to make.

Adapted from Prism's pledge:

Loose Rules

1. June 21 - Sept. 21.

2. Only the Fairytale Tarot (this is my only hard and fast rule).

3. I will continue to use books for reference.

4. I will start with a 1-card daily draw, but I'm not necessarily going to stick to that system.

5. I will try to journal with the deck every day, but I'm not making any promises.

thorhammer

Good for you! It's not a choice I'd have liked to make :D! Mind you, when I began my IDS, it wasn't necessary for me to choose. The deck itself inspired me to start the faithful thing. It's been wonderful. I've turned so many corners, and yet come so far. Great decision.

\m/ Kat

Promise

I think I've decided that as long as I am careful shuffling, I'll be fine using the Minute. So what if I crease a card? That proves I've loved the deck and used it, at least. Unfortunately, getting another copy is going to be way outside of my budget right now...too many bills to pay as it is, plus paying for college, plus paying some of my grandmother's bills on top of it. If it weren't for all of that, I'd try to locate another copy, but for now, I'll have to do the best with what I've got.

I think that as long as I shuffle carefully and use a little *gasp* common sense(!), I'll be alright. This deck is rather special to me, since I won the proof-sheets in the New Year's Raffle and hand-cut the cards down into a deck. It took me ages, but it was a special experience for me. This is probably going to sound silly, but I believe that I received this deck for a reason, and the least I can do is put forth some dedicated effort into getting to know it. Does that sound silly? Most likely, but ehh...

Honestly, I think I'm just going to stick to blogging my journal this time around. It can be shared easier, and, well...I can type a lot faster than I can hand-write things. It's not that I'm lazy, I'd just like to be as productive as I can in the time I've got.

I'll come up with a pledge soon, but I can guarantee that I'll give myself a lot more growing room than I did last time. One thing I learned from my last IDS experience was that circumstances change, and what might work at the beginning may not work at the end.

Skimo

My Archeon is trimmed and looks far better now for me.

I have received the Universal Fantasy, and I really like this deck (if my finger wasn't swollen due to the use of scissors on the Archeon, I would consider trimming it too).

The Fantastical is on his way.

I will choose as soon as I have all of them in my hands...