Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Allure

Yesterday I completed the Wind suit. I hadn't taken my time with a deck in ages. For the first time, I got a message from a card that I wasn't intentionally trying to read. It was as valuable as if I had asked a question and laid a spread. I was taken aback.

Initially, I skipped the authors intros and stuff because I wanted to get to the meat of the book. Doing so, I missed the part where the author revealed that the Major Arcana (Life Songs)are presented within the framework of the seasons. The authors did this to show that "the journey is not one of striving for perfection, it is an ever-increasing sensitivity towards the cyclical nature of all things." This gives the life songs more layers and makes it more interesting to explore IMO. I flipped to the page detailing this accidentally. I don't know if it's a sign to stop doing the minors and go to the majors or reminder not to miss it when I do get to the majors. I'm just going to relax and try to see where the deck leads me next.

Disa

Promise said:
Holy flippin' crap!

I need some damn willpower! Does Wal-Mart sell it? Anyone know of an online source? Seriously, I'm in need! .

Actually, I kept asking for motivation each time the DH would go to the grocery store. He kept coming back saying there wasn't any, BUT at the metaphysical shop....they have candles made for focusing your intent. Motivation was a lovely burgundy candle with a little piece of paper to tell me what to do. It worked around the beginning of the year- I think I may need another one right about now :).

Oh what I was getting at it I bet they have some will power candles at the metaphysical shop, too.

SolSionnach

Promise said:
Holy flippin' crap!
LOL
Promise said:
If I followed that prompt for every single card, my poor wittle ADHD brain would go into "Ooooo shiny!" mode and I'd never recover. In a way, I'm using each card as a sort of story-telling prompt. Back before I went to rehab, I was a published poet and short story author, but I left a lot of things behind when I got clean, and my writing is something I'm trying to get back. If anyone's dared to read my blog, it's pretty obvious that I'm not following much of a standard for each card.
Very nice, Promise (btw, I notice that you're in TX, too!) :)
To tell you the truth, I was VERY surprised with how quickly I filled out that form. Now I can imagine that with some decks (Ironwing? Maat?) it would take a *lot* longer to do - that particular BBC card was very clear to me, and I'm curious if the rest of the cards will be as clear.
I support you in your quest to get your writing/creativity back. From what I've read on your blog, you are making great headway! :)
Promise said:
Honestly, I don't expect to be done with my IDS in 3 months. I'm finding that it's taking me longer to do the individual card studies than I had anticipated, mostly because the non-scenic pips make my imagination wake up and I'm constantly finding new things to say! In 3 months, I at least want to have a firm grasp of the Court Cards (gasp!) and the Minors. Until I get it all completed and feel finished, I'll just keep working, even if I have to commit to another IDS with the same deck, like Rodney has.
That sounds very promising (sorry for the pun, promise!) I had a look at your blog, and what you were saying opened a way to look at pip decks for me. I don't think I could get 1/4 of the stuff out of a pip card that you do - but I will be using the Ukiyoe eventually, and though they aren't true pip cards, the scenes are very sparse like a pip. But first, the BBC. :) :) :)
Promise said:
I need some damn willpower! Does Wal-Mart sell it? Anyone know of an online source? Seriously, I'm in need! Being the lovely man that he is, my boyfriend ordered me a Greenwood from God-only-knows-where, and I may have to gnaw my fingers off to keep from using it once it gets here. Avoiding the DM is going to be hard enough, but the Greenwood? *sigh*
Now THAT'S A BOYFRIEND!!! :party: :thumbsup: :p :p :p I love that deck, and don't envy you getting it, and then needing to set it aside.
However, the TdM that you're working with is so beautifully done that it in itself is a lure away from the Greenwood. After working with that deck, the Greenwood will look positively gaudy. :)
re: willpower - I dunno. I had it in spades as a teen, and lost it somewhere along the way. I'm determined to retrieve it this summer, and I truly *have* to, with my IDS + teaching myself Japanese. :) :) Oh, not only that, but valiantly attempting to go off wheat, carbs and sugar. :bugeyed: lol
Promise said:
Maybe I'll have him hide it from me until I'm done...

No, then I'll just leave him and be totally screwed.

UGH!

ETA: Three of Coins posted. My brain is like Jello, but I'm on a roll! I'm going to try to get the Four at least started tonight.
Your jello is great! Love it! Keep up the good work!! :)

SolSionnach

Disa said:
Actually, I kept asking for motivation each time the DH would go to the grocery store. He kept coming back saying there wasn't any, BUT at the metaphysical shop....they have candles made for focusing your intent. Motivation was a lovely burgundy candle with a little piece of paper to tell me what to do. It worked around the beginning of the year- I think I may need another one right about now :).

Oh what I was getting at it I bet they have some will power candles at the metaphysical shop, too.
I wonder if they have candles for avoiding chocolate.

I bet they don't - who'd buy one?? ;)

Promise

Ugh. I am suffering from a chronic bout of brain fog today. I had intended to get at least a few more Coins done today, but I can barely perform basic human functions at this point.

I looked at the 5 of Coins before I hopped in the shower, where I normally get my best inspiration, and I blew a complete blank. Not just a vague impression, I got nothin'. Maybe I'll jump ahead to the 6...I dunno.

Think I need some tea. And a nap.

thorhammer

Tea and a nap sounds absolutely blissful, Promise!

If there is one thing that I learnt early in the IDS, it is that forcing progress is eventually counter-productive. If you can't get into the Noblet groove today, don't worry about it. If you still can't by the end of the week . . . don't worry about it. It'll come back to you. I know it will :heart:

\m/ Kat

punchinella

Ummn, er, here I am come busting into this party to ask . . .

What is the "form" that everyone is working so hard to complete for each card? I'm somewhat interested in (very belatedly) doing IDS but having trouble with the link at the top of this thread (that is, the link back to the original thread) . . . it doesn't want to work for me, so I'm basically lost. I mean, I do know that the idea is to work closely with one particular deck for a length of time, and really get to know it, but how exactly are you structuring this work?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me

*punchinella bumbles out again, grumbling & scratching her ears*

furiana

The link doesn't work? Shoot! Hang on, I'll test it.

... It worked for me. It took a while to load, though; I almost thought I'd get an error page.

I think there were general rules/guidelines on the first page of that thread, but I just kindof made up my own. :|

Can somebody else test that link, and maybe explain this better?

Promise

I had a surge of inspiration and got the Five thru Eight of Coins done. I thought I'd be able to get the last two pips done, but my mom and I started talking about stuff, and I decided to just let them sit until tomorrow.

Yep, sravana, I'm from Texas, too! Waaaaay out West, where the closest landmarks are a cactus shaped like a sheep (not kidding!) and a herd of cows. But it's nice, sometimes. Hot, but nice.

punchinella--There are no "rules" here. Some are following a "form" for each individual card, but really, there's no hard and fast rule, other than that we each commit to one primary deck. Some choose to work with other oracles or another deck for comparative purposes, others don't.

I'm not using any set form for each card; I simply write whatever comes, in whatever form it comes in. If you're interested in joining us, it's not too late to jump in! We welcome all who want to tag along for the ride :)

Have a happy Monday, everyone!

:heart:

-Sara

ETA: The link works for me, but AT always loads really slow about this time every night for me. After the page decides to load, it does fine.