Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Promise

Gah, is it morning already? I wish I could just roll over and go back to sleep!

I've got a job interview in about a half hour, and have been told that because they badly need the position filled, there's a possibility that I'll be hired on the spot and will have to start all the new hire paperwork and such immediately. I'll also have to do a PPD and a pee test if I make it that far. I need this job so badly, and I've been panicking a bit about it. I really never know how to handle job interviews.

So I pulled three cards from dear old Jean, and it's eerie how much he reads my mind. As an example, I'll post the reading.

4 of Cups
I Le Bateleur (The Magician)
Chavelier Despee (Knight of Swords)

He knows I'm letting my emotions get to me. The Four of Cups is a reminder to keep my anxiety and stress level balanced and in check; no matter how bad I want/need this job, I have to focus. He knows I stress over not having what they're looking for, and The Magician tells me that everything I need is already before me. The tools of his craft lie on his three-legged table. And The Knight speaks to me to go about this logically and just give 'em hell! I'm not going to get anywhere fretting and worrying, no, I'm going to have to be logical and calm about this and prove to them that I can put my knowledge into constructive actions.

It's creepy how well this deck knows me.

Keavy McGee

Good Luck, Promise!! I'm sure you'll be fab, now that you and Jean have "talked"!! Sounds like you're ready to *calmly* take on the world!!

<<<I'm especially enjoying your post b/c I just received the traveling Jean Noblet deck yesterday. I'm hosting it for three days so will go back and review what you've posted in a new light as I've never actually seen one before today!! >>>

XOX

Keavy:heart:

Disa

afrosaxon said:
I don't know, Disa.

I haven't picked up the DOM in a couple of days and, quite frankly, I haven't missed it.

Thinking about ditching.

T.

I agree with the others, put it aside and give yourself a tarot break. You have worked really hard. Maybe work on your jewelry for a week or so, then come back to the cards...besides, I could use some of your jewelry making knowledge- just how DO you get the clasps on the end of the wire thing that the stones are strung on?

Take your time afrosaxon, whatever you decide, we all understand.

Lotsa love,

Disa

Disa

Keavy McGee said:
And to Disa, congratulations on your readings for family, that is really courageous!! When I grow up, I wanna be like you!! :laugh:

XOX

Keavy:heart:

Awwe, thx xoxox.

This weekend I'm staying with a friend from Saturday til Monday- she says I can practice on her, too. Now if I can just get those spreads memorized....

Onyx

Unexpected lesson

I hope that everyone is having fun and learning tons about their decks. Yet for me as of the last couple of nights my IDS is over.

I love the Revelations and I love the idea of the intense study of a deck. The issue came to a head a couple of nights ago when I was doing a reading and the cards seemed to tell me that I was in the wrong place right now in my tarot practice.

One of my goals for this summer was to improve my intuitive reading skills. I have been a nuts and bolts reader for awhile. I have a very analytic reading style which has worked and served me for years. But it is time for me to take a next step. I was doing a reading and meditating on the cards as they came up I go the High Priestess.

I reflected and meditated on it as well and something happened. I got an understanding that my Tarot Journey is like the Fools Journey and I know I am still new to this I am the Fool. I saw how my analytic style was like the Magician. I had all the tools and I was beginning to use them and manifest results. Now it is time for the High Priestess. In my next phase I will still continue to study but I will need to test my intuition more. I think that an IDS is very valid but would cause me to retreat and not press forward.

So it is with a bit of a heavy heart but bold determination to continue on learning that I realized that I had to leave the IDS for the summer. I felt that it was only proper to let you all know and encourage you all to continue as you are being led.

Onyx.

Emily

I've been reading through the thread and I just wanted to post about not letting guilt rule your IDS - even if you go without touching your deck for a week its not a failure. Its better to leave your deck for a while then go back than to push yourself and start to feel like your study is a chore.

I pushed myself the first time I did this study with the Tarot of the Old Path and there were times when I could quite happily have stood in the garden and put this deck on a fire. But I pushed myself to carry on and after a few more weeks I knew my study was over, I wasn't enjoying it or learning anything and I was getting distracted by other decks - I think in the end I lasted about 5 months(?) but the last few weeks it was very off and on.

This is why I'm surprised this time, I'm not sure that I'm even thinking of this as a study anymore, I think me and the Liber T belong together - I'm hesitant to say that the Liber T is the 'one' but something is happening because I've got no interest in using other decks at all. I have read other decks and I've found them lacking.

But I am going to carry on with the study - if only to see how long I last. :D

Promise

Emily said:
I've been reading through the thread and I just wanted to post about not letting guilt rule your IDS - even if you go without touching your deck for a week its not a failure. Its better to leave your deck for a while then go back than to push yourself and start to feel like your study is a chore.
:D

I agree 100%! It's easy to think about this as a formal study and give it negative connotations, and then it becomes something you have to do, rather than something youwant to do. If you had a rough day and don't feel like working with your deck, don't feel like you have to. If you have other plans and won't have time to work with your deck, don't feel like you've failed in some way. I don't think anyone here will think you've failed if you don't touch your deck for a few days or even a few weeks, or if you decide for whatever reason that the IDS isn't right for you.

Bloudwedd

Oooooh dear.....

My birthday was last Saturday and I agreed with my mom that her gift to me could be bought from my internet bookshop wishlist. On that i had a varying list of tarot books AND decks. Now I had this vague idea that she would actually read about the item she choose before she bought it, especially since we agreed that she would give me a book not a deck (for obvious IDS reasons). But apparently she was in a hurry when ordering it, since she wanted me to have it on my birthday (what a sweetheart she is!) so she judged what was inside by the cover. And today we found out that she had actually ordered a brand new Bohemian Gothic Tarot deck to me! It will arrive Monday! And here I am doing IDS and really should not touch nor work with it til I finsihed this one. .... *sob, sob, CRYYYY!* This will call for some MAJOR self disiciplin from my part! :-D

Hope you all will have a wonderful weekend!
/Anna

Promise

Oh, Anna, I feel your pain!

My boyfriend is hiding a Greenwood from me somewhere in his apartment, and it's killing me! I just try to forget about it most of the time, until he brings it up, conveniently during an argument or when he wants to do something that I don't. "Oh, well then, I guess I'll just go find a new home for that deck I got you..."

Ack! I love that boy, but I swear, sometimes I could kill him! I just try to throw myself into my IDS and forget about it; I know it'll be there when I get finished.

rwcarter

Promise said:
I just try to forget about it most of the time, until he brings it up, conveniently during an argument or when he wants to do something that I don't. "Oh, well then, I guess I'll just go find a new home for that deck I got you..."
Because it's an OOP and HTF tarot deck, just the threat of him finding a new home for it would be justifiable homicide in my book. A true jury of your peers (especially if they came from AT) would never convict you! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: