Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

SolSionnach

Emily said:
Hope you are feeling better soon, Furiana :)

Me too, Furiana. Perhaps it's time to lounge out by the pool with a margarita in hand?

re: my IDS. I have done absolutely nothing about studying the cards individually - I did a monster spread 2 days ago (using reversals, which I never use) which was all over the place. Yesterday I asked a similar but more focused question using 5 cards (and no reversals), and the spread was spot on, very clear. Nothing like getting the King of Pentacles http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/357/Bohemian_Cats#36
for the outcome of a business question! :)

I'm very happy with the cats, enjoying seeing the differences between the 2 editions. I've decided to keep edition 1 in order, so I can pull cards easily for comparison. I recently read a posting where someone mentioned that they had never put their main reading deck back in order since the first time they shuffled it, and I'm going to do the same w/BBC2 for the rest of the IDS. It's getting easier to handle as I work with it (the cards have been a bit "grabby", making it hard to look through it easily), so finding a particular card is getting easier.

Promise

I know this is entirely off topic, but I just had to share....

I got the job!!!!!!!!

I am so freakin' thrilled it's not even funny. I went through orientation and started training today, and it's a lot of complicated work, but I really like it! It feels so good to be working again, and honestly, I've never had a job that I actually liked all the time.

Hooray for a real paycheck! Hooray for more money to spend on Tarot!

....I mean...bills...and such...

thorhammer

:D :D :D :D :D :D

That's wonderful, Promise! I love the feeling of a new shiny job! In fact, it's just about that time again for me, too . . .

Bestest of luck with it!

\m/ Kat

furiana

Aw, thanks emily! :love:

sravana: Now there's an idea! :party:

--

Woo, Promise! Nice job! (hahaha... ;) )

ETA: Oh, right, IDS....

Ra ra shish boom ba
Goooooooo TEAM!

Disa

Congrats, Promise!!!

Bloudwedd

Promise said:
I know this is entirely off topic, but I just had to share....

I got the job!!!!!!!!

I am so freakin' thrilled it's not even funny. I went through orientation and started training today, and it's a lot of complicated work, but I really like it! It feels so good to be working again, and honestly, I've never had a job that I actually liked all the time.

Hooray for a real paycheck! Hooray for more money to spend on Tarot!

....I mean...bills...and such...

Grats!!!!!!!!!!
:heart:

Cat*

@ Promise: Congratulations! You sound very happy indeed! :) :) :)

---

Yesterday, I almost gave up my IDS study. The Housewives suddenly seemed rather banal and superficial to me, and I was feeling a bit bored and thought that I don't really get anything out of this IDS. I kept thinking of the DruidCraft (which was the other deck I seriously considered for the IDS but decided against due to wanting a limited field of study), especially since I've had some amazing time amongst trees and herbs this weekend that has made me so happy that I could have cried. I guess, I just didn't want to go back inside the house and be a good girl and get my job done... :(

So I ordered the Druid Plant Oracle (my first oracle ever, and one I've wanted since I first heard of it) to satisfy some of my plant yearnings, and then I did a spread with the Housewives on the current state of my spiritual development which advised me to be patient and to submit to the pre-defined forms for now. :rolleyes: *sigh*

Just to make sure ;), I did another 3-carder on the pros and cons of continuing the IDS with the Housewives and got the suggestion to add some actual study to my practice of daily 3-card reviews and very few other readings - and that, yes, I should continue and remember how the Housewives have surprised me by the depth (and humor) of many of the readings I've done with them.

Well, I then took out the Chariot and all the 7s to see if I could make out any common theme. That was fun as well as enlightening, so I'll do the Emperor and 4s next (that guy keeps coming up and I have some difficulty understanding this particular version of him).

So I got over this IDS crisis quite well and have renewed my appreciation for the deck. :)

I believe, however, that my next IDS might indeed be the DruidCraft in combination with the Druid Plant Oracle... ;)

thorhammer

Cat* said:
So I got over this IDS crisis quite well and have renewed my appreciation for the deck. :)
A success story! Yay for you! I'm happy that you've gotten over a hurdle . . . just a thought . . . perhaps with that particular deck (I have owned and used it), it might help to get "in the zone", maybe research the era(s) concerned and get in the mindset to really "get" the images?

Just a thought . . . :D

\m/ Kat

Disa

Great news, Cat you passed the first test. :)

As for me, I took both the Buckland Romani and the Bohemian Gothic decks to my friend's house for the weekend. I did almost all the spreads with the Buckland Romani (I used the Bohemian Gothic for 2 spreads)

First I got to read for her husband, who- when she asked him if I could read his cards he said "What cards? I don't have any cards" :) It went pretty well in that the cards completely reflected his life at the moment. When he left, my friend said "You nailed him!". I wasn't nervous but, I didn't feel any magic happening.

Then I read my friend a few different times over the course of the weekend. I feel that something is just missing in my reads. I'm not fully opening up. There's no specifics and no magic there. I feel as though I'm giving "generic readings" I didn't get any psychic flashes of insight this time. If I were charging her, I would have given her money back, because although she said what I was telling her made sense, in one of the readings she couldn't figure out how it applied to her at the moment-so for that, I feel it DIDN'T make sense.

The other thing is, mostly she would ask her question in her mind so I was really having to stretch for it. Then, when she'd ask a question, I swear it was almost like she wanted to give me names. I don't know about your cards, but mine don't say "It's Fred"

While I am grateful for the practice, and I did learn from the experience, I feel she would not have been a satisfied customer. I just said that maybe with more and more practice those things will work themselves out.

The good news is, I got to share my cards with her 5 year old who really put me to the test. She went through tons of cards and asked me what they meant. She gave her input as well and we had a good time with that. Her mom let me give her a set of fortune telling cards "For girls only" that we played the matching game with etc.

Anyway, a long and drawn out story that may seem unrelated to the IDS, but I'm glad I got the practice with my deck.

I guess I'll have to go for the "strangers" next :)

Cat*

thorhammer said:
just a thought . . . perhaps with that particular deck (I have owned and used it), it might help to get "in the zone", maybe research the era(s) concerned and get in the mindset to really "get" the images?
Yes, it does indeed help that I have some background knowledge about the 1950s, with an emphasis on gender (I understand that the creators of the deck have put a focus both on the gender roles and the consumerism of the Fifties). But it's true, it might be a good idea to refresh my memory on all things 1950s. (Sigh, I sometimes wish I had my friend's huge book with Fifties' advertising here - I leafed through it a while ago and found the exact picture of the Devil's chocolate cake in one of the ads :D).