Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

afrosaxon

Still on Hiatus

Hi all,

I'm still on hiatus from the IDS.

I think I may need a break (as suggested) from tarot in general; I'm not even getting much message from my beloved NOVT.

However...my Egyptian Pyramid Oracle has been speaking volumes. :D

I think I'll stick to oracles right now.

Kat and Cat*, you can either take me out of the IDS for this round, or just keep me on hiatus indefinitely.

If I return, I may switch to the World Spirit.

Thank you all for your understanding and support. Keep up the good work, you're all doing so well! :D

T.

Owl Song

I'm back from PA.

afrosaxon, enjoy your hiatus and hope to see you back soon, either on the IDS or with us on the forums. The World Spirit Tarot is a vibrant, lovely deck. If you do choose to work with it, I know you'll find a lot in it.

Promise, congratulations on getting the job! That is wonderful news!

I brought the Deviant Moon with me to Pennsylvania. It was a split second decision when I didn't have room for my Fairytale Tarot. My Deviant Moon was still all wrapped up from Jeannette. I actually opened it on the train. I did look through the deck a few times but I did not read with it.

I'm going through my own IDS struggle. I love the Fairytale and I don't want to stop working with it and I don't plan to. But lately I am really wanting to work with another deck or two additionally while I am working with the Fairytale. This would defeat my original IDS intention though.

I was reading Prism's lovely notes on the Golden in the Deck Study forums and I was just itching to pull mine out.

This is probably just a silly deck craving so I am going to continue on. If the IDS were always easy then it wouldn't be an accomplishment.

I'm a third of the way there. I can do this. And the Golden and the Deviant Moon and the witty Fantastic Menagerie will all be there for me in September.

Kat, you are doing so well with your study. Keep it up! :)

Everyone--keep up the wonderful work.

thorhammer

afrosaxon, be well. These things happen. We'll wait for you :)
Starlily said:
I'm going through my own IDS struggle. I love the Fairytale and I don't want to stop working with it and I don't plan to. But lately I am really wanting to work with another deck or two additionally while I am working with the Fairytale. This would defeat my original IDS intention though.<snip>This is probably just a silly deck craving so I am going to continue on. If the IDS were always easy then it wouldn't be an accomplishment.
Yes!!! You're exactly right, and most times when we feel this pull to another deck it's simply a reaction to coming up against a "wall", some kind of resistance in our own mind to the use of our chosen deck. Resisting the temptation to dilute your work with the FT by dragging another deck into the mix will benefit you enormously.

That having been said . . . I've been cheating :( *hangs head in shame* Cheating on my deck, with my new Druidcraft. During this extension of my original IDS, I've loosened my rules a little, and I've Umbrae-d the Nova, done one reading for an exchange with the Robin Wood, and trimmed the Thoth. But this is different. I'm trimming the Druidcraft, and reading the book as well! I have had the DC for a while, trimmed right down the images by the previous owner, but since that person was in a non-English-speaking country, I didn't have the book (not bi-lingual, me, sadly :(). Now that I've got it, it's impossible to keep my eyes out of it! But I hope that this weekend I can dive back into my Wheel of Change, as I want to get some of the Majors dealt with.
Starlily said:
Kat, you are doing so well with your study. Keep it up! :)
No, no I'm not! I was, but I've not touched the WoC for days now! I'm bad, bad, EVIL! and deserve to be punished!

I will punish myself. I will put the DruidCraft away. Half-trimmed :(

\m/ Kat

SolSionnach

Promise said:
I know this is entirely off topic, but I just had to share....

I got the job!!!!!!!!

I am so freakin' thrilled it's not even funny. I went through orientation and started training today, and it's a lot of complicated work, but I really like it! It feels so good to be working again, and honestly, I've never had a job that I actually liked all the time.

Hooray for a real paycheck! Hooray for more money to spend on Tarot!

....I mean...bills...and such...

WHEEEEEEEE!!!

Congrats, woman! :D :D :D
I'm very happy for you. :)

thorhammer

I realised that I was rushing things. When I posted on the Magician the other day, it really did just flow, because I've been "percolating" about it for a long time now. I came up with some great stuff. So I'm not forcing it. I realise that that's not the way to go.

That having been said, I don't know how much longer I'll be IDSing for. I might need to break out into the world of many decks soon, even before I'm finished with the Wheel of Change. I don't know. I miss my Faeries.

\m/ Kat

Promise

I hate to say this, but I think it's time that I remove myself from the IDS. I will still be doing the TdM course with jmd, but I am really getting overwhelmed by a lot of things right now. Work is crazy, my grandmother moved in, my grandfather's health is deteriorating and I'm having to spend more and more time helping take care of him, lots of personal things are just stacking up. As sad as it sounds, I really need a "comfort" deck right now; I keep fighting the urge to pull out my old friend the ToP, and it's getting harder to fight. The Noblet hasn't spoken to me at all for some time, and I'm getting a bit desperate.

I always told myself that if the IDS ever became more of a stresser than a stress reliever, it was time to move on...and it has, so I am.

It's been a great ride, and I wish all of you the best! I'll still be checking the thread from time to time and watching everyone's progress.

thorhammer

:heart: Promise :heart:

I really hope that your personal life doesn't become too much strain on you. Of course we understand if you feel the need for a comfort - sometimes you're up for the challenge of an alien life-form . . . sometimes you're not. :) Take care of yourself, hey?

\m/ Kat

lilangel09

Hi guys, I was with the old IDS using the International Icon Tarot. I ran for 3 months and 20 days before I realized I wasn't ready to read professionally. It was my reason for joining IDS (although I know the IDS had different reasons), and the reason I picked this particular deck. (I really thought I wanted to, but alas, it will remain a hobby until I'm ready.) I went in reading with a deck for others, but I really, really, want to read with a deck that I'm passionate about.

So now I have a neutral deck for anyone who wants a live reading, and a deck I really like. I really need to spend a lot of time with decks I really like right now, or I won't enjoy Tarot anymore. It would become more of a burden, an elephant in the room that I may not be able to find later.

I think if I ever decide to go pro, it will be like learning Tarot all over again. Tarot as a hobby (for yourself) and reading Tarot for others professionally are two completely different animals. I'm not in the place to do the latter. Of course, I'll still read for others, but I won't be so ambitious.

Anyways, that's what I learned in the last 2 weeks.

shamoness

I'm Baaaack

I missed being here and posting. While I was gone it looks like several folks have had some life issues crop up and they have taken a break. I sure hope they will be able to rejoin us before to long. I was gone because my mom fell down the stairs and broke her ankle. She had surgery to fix everything. She is doing fine, not much pain anymore. The doctors are pleased with her progress. But she is still using a wheelchair which means she needs my help. Mom is a real spitfire and being confined is rough for her.

I have been trying to keep up on my IDS with Pearls of Wisdom. I have been journaling at least 3 times a week, sometimes more. But I haven't been able to handle my deck every day, as I'd like. It does go with me everywhere.

I'm just so tired at night when I get home I don't have the energy to read. I guess I need to try and move my readings to the morning. Right now I am focusing on describing the cards and writing what they appear to mean. I read what the LWB says once I have finished the description and my meanings. I also include the rune meanings and their link to the card meanings.

I feel pull a card every time I do my journaling. Sometimes I feel that covering a set of cards is necessary to fully understand the meanings or concepts. For instance I felt compelled to do all the Knights before moving on and drawing another card. My journal is not in any order. But that is fine with me. I hope to learn these cards and not need to "use" my journal that way.

I had a spell of hating my deck. Every thing about if ticked me off. But that has passed. (I hope.) I think I will end up extending my study to Autumnal Equinox but I'm not committing to that quite yet. Next week I'll commit.

Namaste
shamoness

Prism

Hi IDS-ers,

I'm sorry to hear that life issues are intruding on some of our group.

I have been experiencing some as well, but nothing terribly interesting or awful. My main IDS-related issue at the moment is that, after being away from a computer for a week, I'm finding it hard to make myself post to the Golden study group. In fact, I'm finding it impossible! But I hope to get back to it eventually. I think part of the problem is that after a while it was just seeming like work, and I'm really not interested in working any more than I have to at the moment. I'm still really liking my deck, so I guess it's not a serious problem. Maybe I just need to give myself permission to slow down a little.

Prism