Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

rwcarter

rwcarter said:
But I'm going to buckle down tonight and finish the constellation of the 2s and hopefully start the constellation of the 3s.
Well, it only took 3 hours, but I got the constellation of the 2s finished and got the constellation of the 3s laid out. But I don't think I'm going to get any further than that with it tonight though. (yawn)

Rodney

thorhammer

Nice, Rodney!

I need to do some work with the Wheel of Change, too :( But I just never get time, and my SO makes me feel bad when I want to sit quietly for a few hours with my cards :( Never mind.

I've got the Aces (blech!) and Threes to go, as well as ten of the Majors, in three Tarot Tree levels, which is how I'm studying them. But I'm reading more with the deck the last few days, which is a great substitute for studying the cards. I'm loving the way the cards just YELL at me now that I'm more in the right groove with them. :)

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

thorhammer said:
I'm loving the way the cards just YELL at me now that I'm more in the right groove with them. :)
I bet you never thought that day would come when you started your first IDS. I'm sure you hoped that would be the case, but especially when you hit your first roadblock, did you really think you'd make it to where you are today with your deck?

Everyone else, especially those in their first IDS, if you want your cards to yell at you (in a nice way of course! :laugh:), perseverance is the key.... ;)

Rodney

thorhammer

rwcarter said:
Everyone else, especially those in their first IDS, if you want your cards to yell at you (in a nice way of course! :laugh:), perseverance is the key.... ;)
LOL Actually, it's a bit unsettling, and not a little jarring to my nerves, sometimes :laugh:! But as long as I stay calm and don't let myself get flustered, I'm fine. It does make reading with this deck stand out as a totally different experience, though, from reading with other decks. Like listening to the radio on really quiet with earplugs in, then going straight into a packed nightclub sans earplugs! :D

I think I'll be ending soon. I've signed up for the August Faery Seekers' Circle, so I'll be "cheating" with my Faeries, but I hope to get the last cards done soon. Hoping . . .

After that, I think I'm going to be taking a bit of a break before I start with the next lot. It's heavy :D

\m/ Kat

shamoness

Rodney, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm getting sick of my cards. I want to look at something else. Blah! But I'll try to persevere for at least a little longer. I don't want to quit. It's just not as much fun as it was. I have friends that want me to read for them who have special decks I use for them. They don't understand why I will only read with the Pearls. I explain but they are disappointed. Of course they do like the deck once they get to know it.

SolSionnach

Help help help help help!

lol, Just kidding, or not...

I really *want* to keep working with the BBC, but I'm longing to dig out the Haindl and start working with it. I've been reading AT too much, getting distracted from my IDS, thinking about the Haindl and wanting to order the Illuminated (like I NEED another damned tarot deck!). I'm trying to write up the 6 of cups -boooooring card. Perhaps after this I need to do what I've been thinking about doing, and go ahead and do the rest of the swords. They're more interesting!

Good on you, Rodney - You are an inspiration!

and Kat - thanks for the reminder as to why I'm doing this in the first place.

Perhaps I need to do a daily reading for the next week, to get myself interested in this deck again? Because holding off until the mood strikes is *not* working.

:(

peridot

Hi everyone,
I'd love to participate in the IDS, it is my first time and I think this will really help me learn Tarot better. My plan will be to use only the Hoi Polloi deck which is my favorite Rider Waite clone and the one I carry with me. For me working with one deck is not much of an issue as I am a novice and rarely read for others right now. However, I am currently working on coloring in my own deck (My Tarot By Juliet Sharman-Burke) which is really just a little side project of mine as another way to learn. I hope this is ok? I'm thinking the "My Tarot" doesn't qualify as a "real" deck yet as I am nowhere near finished with it (only four cards done).:)

My pledge/plan is to pull a daily card from the Hoi Polloi and journal in my notebook. The real purpose for me right now is to really focus on what the cards mean and observe how they may have taken shape in my life that day.
I will use one reference book to keep things as simple as possible as I should probably be more focused on my own impressions.
I will color at least two cards a week from "My Tarot" picking only those that were drawn that week and I'll add to my notes.

I'd love to have the luxury to color every night but sometimes it's just impossible to make time to do everything I want! I also pledge to participate more in general and post my thoughts/experiences as much as I can here at the forum. Thanks for being here and for the invite to this really great thread. glad I could still join! :)

thorhammer

shamoness said:
Rodney, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm getting sick of my cards. I want to look at something else. Blah! But I'll try to persevere for at least a little longer. I don't want to quit. It's just not as much fun as it was.
Hang in there, mate :) It's a phase and you'll come out the other side with more energy and enthusiasm than you thought possible. Really :)

And although I think it's a nice touch to have specific decks for your friends, they need to respect that you're the reader and if you choose to use one deck, that's entirely up to you. :heart:

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

sravana said:
I really *want* to keep working with the BBC, but I'm longing to dig out the Haindl and start working with it. I've been reading AT too much, getting distracted from my IDS, thinking about the Haindl and wanting to order the Illuminated (like I NEED another damned tarot deck!). I'm trying to write up the 6 of cups -boooooring card. Perhaps after this I need to do what I've been thinking about doing, and go ahead and do the rest of the swords. They're more interesting!
Have a tea party.

No, I'm not joking. Get your mates or your mum or your sister into the house, make them dress up (like the Kitties :D) and serve high tea or something approximating it and reminisce. Go back to a simpler time and get in the mood of the Six of Cups. Sometimes I find I need to engage on a more meaningful, active level with the card I'm dealing with, rather than simply sitting writing about it. Especially if it's boring })

Go you!

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

peridot said:
Hi everyone,
I'd love to participate in the IDS, it is my first time and I think this will really help me learn Tarot better. My plan will be to use only the Hoi Polloi deck which is my favorite Rider Waite clone and the one I carry with me. For me working with one deck is not much of an issue as I am a novice and rarely read for others right now. However, I am currently working on coloring in my own deck (My Tarot By Juliet Sharman-Burke) which is really just a little side project of mine as another way to learn. I hope this is ok? I'm thinking the "My Tarot" doesn't qualify as a "real" deck yet as I am nowhere near finished with it (only four cards done).:)

My pledge/plan is to pull a daily card from the Hoi Polloi and journal in my notebook. The real purpose for me right now is to really focus on what the cards mean and observe how they may have taken shape in my life that day.
I will use one reference book to keep things as simple as possible as I should probably be more focused on my own impressions.
I will color at least two cards a week from "My Tarot" picking only those that were drawn that week and I'll add to my notes.

I'd love to have the luxury to color every night but sometimes it's just impossible to make time to do everything I want! I also pledge to participate more in general and post my thoughts/experiences as much as I can here at the forum. Thanks for being here and for the invite to this really great thread. glad I could still join! :)
Hi, peridot (love the name, it's my birthstone :D) and welcome :) I hope that the "My Tarot" and the Hoi Polloi are similar enough to each other that neither one will distract you from the other, or unduly influence your impressions.

You sound like you've really got your head in the right place for the IDS and I look forward to seeing your posts. BTW, I'm jealous. I want a Hoi Polloi :D

\m/ Kat