Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Disa

Neely I hope you find closure soon. Take care of yourself xoxox

Prism, 2 months is a good run. See ya soon.

kisou

I've been holding off posting in this thread since I wanted to make sure I felt what I felt and all that :)

So I started the IDS back when the first one started towards the beginning of the year- I'm about to complete 6 months with the Amano Tarot. I decided to simply pull a card before I started typing, just asking, "What is my relationship with this deck?"-- the 10 of Pentacles came up.

The Amano is an unillustrated pip deck- and while it's not uncomfortable because of it, I think I'm still missing a lot. As the 10 of Pentacles reminds me- I'm on good terms with the deck, however it's like a regular relationship- it has its ups and downs. I think I could be better later on, but as it stands, I'm not serious or mature or even blunt ((???)) enough right now for this deck. Somehow, I think I only scratched the surface of the deck in 6 months and while it's disappointing that the Amano and I couldn't be BFFs ((haha!))- at least it feels like working with a respectful deck that will give things to me in an interesting way.

Comparing it to decks that I've used for extensive periods of time like The Tarot of the Spirit and The Vampire Tarot, I think I'm not yet trully in-tune with this deck.

Somehow after 6 months, I think the Amano is extremely dry. The drawings are magnificent and beautiful and I love the deck as is- but there's something missing there that I just can't quite pin-point.

I'd also like to add, however, that my interest in different decks has really been awoken by the Amano in general. While I've always been open to unconventional decks or unillustrated-pip decks, I'm now looking forward to them more because of the numerology basics I picked up from the Amano; I want the challenge of learning more about numbers! Still though- I realize that I still want decks with more vibrant imagery that I can get lost in. The Amano had beautiful cards that were treats for the eyes, however as I said before, they were extremely dry and distant. The only cards that I can say were truly with me were The Magician and The Page of Cups; the rest were beautiful but without a real voice.

Anyway, I'm still glad I decided to use this deck for a long period of time! It really forced me to think about how I feel about numerology and has started the wheels in my head turning about that :)

Now, one more week to decide what I want to do an IDS with next X)

PolarBear

Wahey!

I've finally finished the courts!

I've been struggling with these for some time (and I gather I'm not alone in finding them the hardest cards in the tarot). Part of my problem is that I find all the pictures very similar (the Llewellyn is a RW clone), seen one page/knight/queen/king, seen them all kind of thing.

So for this I've been concentrating much more on the lierature around their meanings, than the cards themselves. Not the perfect approach to an IDS perhaps, but it got me over a block.

I now have a set of descriptions for each card and a literary character or person I know to assign to each one - I'm still finding that there is a certain amount of overlap between the cards which I don't like (that's the shadow side of the Knight of Pentacles in me - I do like things organised and tidy and perfect. No characters acting outside the lines please! :) )

"Just" the majors to go now.

PolarBear

Skimo

Since the beginning of the week, I have been working again with the Halloween tarot.
It was calling me.

I guess I can tell I am IDSing with it again, but since I have begun my first job, I don't have that much time left to study or to write things down in my journal.
I am doing daily draws and try to write them down.

Hope to find enough time and energy to study seriously again.

rwcarter

PolarBear said:
Part of my problem is that I find all the pictures very similar (the Llewellyn is a RW clone), seen one page/knight/queen/king, seen them all kind of thing.
If you think you've seen one, you've seen them all, then try getting your head around the courts in the Witches Tarot! Each rank is literally the same card in four different color schemes. But to be fair, Cannon Reed designed her court cards to be modifiers, not to be read in their own right. I tried to get in tune with her system, but I never could. If/when I pick up that deck again, I'm going to have to apply my own meanings to the court cards.

Congrats on getting through the Courts though! In studying the courts in the AET, I found them to be the most difficult cards to grasp. In using the cards in readings though, the courts have shown more of themselves to me.

Rodney

Quantum James

PolarBear said:
I've finally finished the courts!

I've been struggling with these for some time (and I gather I'm not alone in finding them the hardest cards in the tarot).
PolarBear

I have been struggling with these too - especially using these as a daily IDS card. I have basically been avoiding them. Sometimes however, I cant if I have done all the cards that come up in my morning spread (I pledged to pick a card from it everyday for study). Strangely, I have found Angeles Arrien's treatment of the Thoth courts (which translate to the Liber T) really helpful - at least for now. But I think to really get a handle on these guys i am going to have to learn something decent about astrology no?

Oh yes I had a neat insight into the 2 of spheres, which for some time has totally confused me - it seemed to me the decan figure's inclusion was in no way related to the card's actual meaning - I was wrong~!

I posted about it in the study group *shameless self-promotion* - for those IDSing the Liber T, let me know what you think - am I barking up the right tree? This study group is awfully quiet for such a deep deck... :)

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1599294

Anyway, My Universal Fantasy tarot arrived yesterday - and I built into my pledge the right to play with it for one day as a break from Liber T. That day has passed - its sitting there taunting me with a squeeky tarot voice: "play with me, play with ME - you know you WANT to.."

Someone stop me! :) Must IDS...Liber..T

thorhammer

That's a huge post in the Study Group - unfortnately I don't have time to read it, but I'm sure I'll get to it soon ;)
Quantum James said:
Someone stop me! :) Must IDS...Liber..T
The UF is a patient deck . . . moreover, it will ditch you when and if it feels like it ;) so to speak, so get in first and give it a bit of its own medicine!

Like any other deck, it will wait.

\m/ Kat

Eleonora

How did you choose the deck?

Hello
I know I am late to the party, but I see others starting IDS now, so here I am.
I have followed both IDS threads, & printed out several inspiring quotes & ideas .
You are all so innovative, & nice.
I really want to do this, I need to do this!
But how did you choose your decks?
I have tried & tried to decide on a deck.
This last week I am down to three....
Deirdre of the Sorrows, Sacred Rose & Sakki-Sakki.
& here I am, I can't decide. Every time I am sure of one,
the next day another is calling my name.
All three has a lot to study,
& all three are telling me: 'I am the One'
Eleonora

Quantum James

thorhammer said:
That's a huge post in the Study Group - unfortnately I don't have time to read it, but I'm sure I'll get to it soon ;)
\m/ Kat

I know, I know - I cant help it, Liber T brings out the verbose armchair archeologist in me!

Keavy McGee

Eleonora said:
Hello
I know I am late to the party, but I see others starting IDS now, so here I am.
I have followed both IDS threads, & printed out several inspiring quotes & ideas .
You are all so innovative, & nice.
I really want to do this, I need to do this!
But how did you choose your decks?
I have tried & tried to decide on a deck.
This last week I am down to three....
Deirdre of the Sorrows, Sacred Rose & Sakki-Sakki.
& here I am, I can't decide. Every time I am sure of one,
the next day another is calling my name.
All three has a lot to study,
& all three are telling me: 'I am the One'
Eleonora
Hi, Eleonora, and welcome to our party :party: :D :party:

We all start at different times and locations. We all have unique and individual agreements with our decks and each other about how we're going to do our IDS. We all have a lot of fun. We all come here when we are ready to throw our decks across the room and quit :D :D :D We all make subtle or drastic changes as we go. It's great!!!

I am doing my first IDS, with the Vanessa. I was like you, I wanted to do it but I couldn't decide which deck I should use. I thought I wanted something "summery" because I was beginning on the Summer Solstice. I couldn't choose between three decks. Then one day I noticed that I'd done all my recent reading exchanges with my Vanessa and voila! That's how my deck chose me!!

One other little thought is that sometimes the deck you choose doesn't work out, even after you've been working with it a while. Then people just choose another deck. And some people work a very very long time with just one deck.

I say, pick a deck, get started, have fun, and come to this thread for laughs, education, and moral support.

Welcome again!!

XOX

Keavy:heart: