Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Hooked on TdM

Well I haven't got much studying done as late. I've kinda veered off into strange realms for a bit. I've been reading quite a bit. I am almost finished "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov and my mind is matching up cards with characters and events like crazy. I've also read a few other books and am expecting three more in the mail. So this IDS seems to be a lot about reading this time round.

I only have half of the Coupe pips to finish and all the other pips so I think I need to make myself be disciplined and try to do at least one a day. I have been doing the Daily draw although I've been lazy this last little bit. I'm going to change that a bit and start doing two cards for the draw and read them as one.

I have also come to an end of buying. I have three decks coming to me in the mail and three books and I have no desire to buy anymore. What is left of what I want is either impossible to get or hasn't been fully created yet. It actually feels very good to not want anything else. I have a feeling that I will put a lot more energy into my IDS now that I'm unconcerned with what I could get my hands on. :)

Hooked

SolSionnach

Quantum James said:
Hi Sravana! - I hear you - the thing is the UF talks with such a clear voice to me, I suspect its because I am such a die hard fantasy reader so my mind makes stories about those cards in a flash. I have been good though. I played with it for one day last week and its been resting, while I focus on Liber-T ever since.
Hiya QJ,
Ah. I just figured out why the UF is so opaque to me - I'm not a fantasy reader. That being said, I really like the art on that deck, it is endlessly interesting to me. I don't find it works for divination, but WTH, it could sometime!
Quantum James said:
Have you ever noticed that a deck needs to warm to you before it becomes more accurate in readings? I have definitely found this with the Liber-T, and I dont just mean interpreting the cards, but the readings as a whole become a lot more crystalized the more i work with it - there might be less white noise or whatever - if you get my drift... The first while the Liber T seemed to be holding back a bit but it seems to be right on the money now. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hmmm, I can't say that I have, though as I get better at reading, the readings get better. :bugeyed: Yeah, circular argument... lol
Quantum James said:
Good luck with restraining yourself from playing with your new acquisitions Sravana! I, perversely, am enjoying waiting for the UF - so I can savour it on my special Liber T off days! })
I just completely de-enabled myself from buying more decks, by adding up what I've spent in August on decks. eeeep. I'm pretty happy with what I've bought, particularly since the Vieville is no longer available from the seller in Japan. :) I'm so happy that I have that deck. It's marvelous...

Oh, right. Hadar. Yeah! I love that deck. Such nice warm color choices. :) Thanks for the good luck wishes... I think I'll manage okay. I hope so. Something like that. ;)
Hooked on TdM said:
I only have half of the Coupe pips to finish and all the other pips so I think I need to make myself be disciplined and try to do at least one a day. I have been doing the Daily draw although I've been lazy this last little bit. I'm going to change that a bit and start doing two cards for the draw and read them as one.
Do you find the pips the hardest to read?
Hooked on TdM said:
I have also come to an end of buying. I have three decks coming to me in the mail and three books and I have no desire to buy anymore. What is left of what I want is either impossible to get or hasn't been fully created yet. It actually feels very good to not want anything else. I have a feeling that I will put a lot more energy into my IDS now that I'm unconcerned with what I could get my hands on. :)

Hooked
I know that feeling re: done with buying. I don't have much work to pay off what I've bought, thank heavens. I hate to say it, but I think that you and I rather egged each other on in the buying department! But that's what friends are for, right?? right??!? })

Hooked on TdM

sravana said:
Do you find the pips the hardest to read?I know that feeling re: done with buying.
I don't have much work to pay off what I've bought, thank heavens. I hate to say it, but I think that you and I rather egged each other on in the buying department! But that's what friends are for, right?? right??!? })

No, not really but they are a pain in the butt to write down. I write down exactly what I see and where in each card. It's the floral patterns in the pips that slow me down. :( I think the Major, pips and courts are all on equal standing for readability for me. None are worse or easier.

Yes we did. That is what friends are for! ;) ;) Happily we have both hit the buying burn out at the same time! lol

Hooked

Promise

Hey everyone!

The pesky real world has come calling at my door, and I've been out for a while. I've been through a lot of cycles when it comes to Tarot; I immersed myself in it for a bit, and then I woke up one morning and my entire interest was gone, so back I crawled to my playing cards, where I've been for the past 6 weeks or so. And now my playing cards are no longer talking to me and I'm being pulled back towards Tarot.

Specifically, I'm being pulled to my newly-acquired Greenwood. I've had it for a few weeks, and I've been working it into my playing card readings, but it didn't seem to have much to say to me. Well, I think it had plenty to say, but I wasn't in the right head space to listen to what it was telling me. Anyway, it was like the cards just weren't clicking in my head, no matter how badly I wanted them to.

I've got no idea what changed, but now the Greenwood just shines for me. I've been working with it a lot over the past week or so, and I'm just fascinated by it! There are so many different aspects and layers to this deck and to each individual card, and I've begun my own IDS of sorts. I thought about jumping back in here, but it's so late in the round already that I decided I'd be better off just going about it on my own, for now at least.

I've been keeping track of everything with a handwritten journal, which just seems to work for me this time. The Greenwood feels like such a meditative and deeply personal deck that I've been journaling a lot about life as well. Things are hard right now, and the Greenwood always seems to know what I need to hear and how to say it, if that makes sense. The Noblet and it's raw and focused honesty were just too overwhelming and too flat for me to deal with at the time, although I do intend to work with it again once things are more comfortable.

rwcarter

Hey Promise!

It's never too late to join in/start an IDS. But if you wanna do your own thang, that's OK too. Just don't forget about us!

Rodney

thorhammer

Hi there Promise :) It's nice to see you again - I'm sorry to hear that things are hard, I do hope they get better for you soon :heart:

Rodney's right - there's no such thing as "rounds" in the IDS, it's working out that we're all just kinda keeping track of ourselves, no set time frames or anything. So if you want to join in, I'd be more than happy to add you to the list.

In fact, I'm gonna go do that now. Make the executive decision! :D Come in, come in, you're always welcome :)

\m/ Kat

Promise

Alrighty, go ahead and throw me on the list.

Weekends I'll be rather scarce because right now, I'm working 12-18 hour shifts Friday-Monday, but I'm hoping that will ease up before I lose what little is left of my sanity. I love my job, but there's a limit to how much of it I can reasonably take at once!

I plan on meditating with The Fool tonight and I'm sure I'll re-journal after that's done. I may do some pre-journaling on The Ancestor tonight as well, just depends on how things progress and how long my meditation takes me.

Scion

Hooked on TdM said:
I am almost finished "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov and my mind is matching up cards with characters and events like crazy.
My favorite novel of all time... :thumbsup: What a treasure! And every time you read it, it changes somehow. Sometimes it's a romance, other times an apology for the creative process, or a diary of mental instability, or a gloomy expat's confessional, or magical erotica, or a theological meditation, or a pulpy thriller.

Beautiful life-transforming book.

thorhammer

Scion said:
My favorite novel of all time... :thumbsup: What a treasure! And every time you read it, it changes somehow. Sometimes it's a romance, other times an apology for the creative process, or a diary of mental instability, or a gloomy expat's confessional, or magical erotica, or a theological meditation, or a pulpy thriller.

Beautiful life-transforming book.
And, I believe, possibly the namesake for one of our members here (MIA for some time *worries all over again*)? Hmm, you've piqued my interest . . . but reading time is a luxury I can rarely afford these days :( sadly.

*smirks in Promise's direction* Is lovely to have you, sweetie!

What do you do that demands such huge shifts?

\m/ Kat

Promise

I work ER/Outpatient Registration at the only hospital here locally. 12 hour shifts are standard, but we're disgustingly under-staffed at the moment and we can't seem to train anyone who doesn't run for the door after 45 minutes in the ER. I guess "normal" people don't like the high-stress, low pay conditions we work in. I wouldn't know, I don't think I've ever been this "normal" thing.

I'm hoping things will settle down soon if we can actually hire someone who will last longer than one shift, but I'm not holding my breath.

It feels good to have something to direct my energy into other than work. I spent too long just flitting around with all this unfocused, undirected energy and it feels good to have an outlet for it to go into now.