Touchstone Tarot by Kat Black

All Is One

More Info For you :~)

Ha ha ha! Jasper is the husband of Kat Black, the artist who made the Touchstone Tarot. She told us on the main TT thread that Jasper is on the Fool card. I have seen photos of Jasper on other sites (am I allowed to list links to Kat and Jasper's other sites? I've been getting into a tad bit of trouble on here lately for being off topic...)

So when I confessed that I had spilled 7up on him...I said "Sorry Jasper"

:D

I think that the World card also looks like him.....

Oh, well, since this is the main thread, just read as much of it as you can and you will hear from Kat about things like that.

She is working on the book to go with the Mass Market version now.

You may or may not know that the LE version does not come with a little white book, so you might want to read through this thread, and also listen to the podcast at

Tarot Connection

More of Kat and Jaspeer may be learned at VJ Zoo

And the website for the deck itself...if I have this memorized right (yep...me big fan) is:

Touchstone Tarot

minrice

Oh, go on you all with your second copies!!! *eye roll* *wink*
That's great Shamoness! It will probably get there at lightning speed, I was shocked at how quickly mine came. My cards were loose in their bag, so I assume someone went through them to make sure they were good to go, which I greatly appreciate.
Does Lisa run the store herself and ship the orders? I would assume as busy as she is with all her projects and whatnot surely she has a minion to do her bidding? lol.

retrokat

shamoness said:
Is Jasper the Fool or your cat? or perhaps both?

Somehow I can imagine you naming the characters in your cards!

Not far off! Jasper is my lovely husband - and he's a self-proclaimed ditz, so The Fool is his card. Always happy and sunny, oblivious to any nearby cliff-edge. I'm often stuck with the role of the Fool's dog, doing my best to warn him but totally charmed by his obliviousness to possible danger.

Umbrae

Do NOT allow Jasper near your flatware!!!

retrokat

minrice said:
Does Lisa run the store herself and ship the orders? I would assume as busy as she is with all her projects and whatnot surely she has a minion to do her bidding? lol.

If my Secret Project makes good, getting Leisa a minion or two is definitely on my list. Would you believe she does everything at TC as well as having a fulltime job? Ack, no wonder such a huge task as the LE almost put her off publishing decks! She's a wonder.

retrokat

Umbrae said:
Do NOT allow Jasper near your flatware!!!

Umbrae! Yay!!! Speaking of influences on the final deck, I listened to your WONDERFUL audio book yesterday while pushing the pixels. Everyone should buy it, it's like having you round for a whole day chatting about tarot. And roses. Although roses sound far too high-maintenance for me, I think I'll just stick with the tarot ;)

Have people recognised you in Touchstone yet?

PS re the flatware for those who don't know - http://fork-you.com if you didn't already think we were strange enough.

Umbrae

retrokat said:
Have people recognised you in Touchstone yet?
Shhhhhhhh... I'm incognito.

Glad you enjoyed having me over for coffee!

retrokat

Umbrae said:
Shhhhhhhh... I'm incognito.

Glad you enjoyed having me over for coffee!

I figured most people probably work it out from your website link. You're a celebrity, you don't get no privacy :p

Erzebet

I'm weird. When a deck has real people in it if their dead and long ago, doesn't affect my readings. In fact it enhances them! But if the people are alive people or people I know even slightly it ends up ruining the card(s) for me!

Would it be possible to put spoilers on posts that talk about people on the forum who are in the deck? I thought it was a deck that completely used personages from a certain time period, I had noooo idea! :bugeyed:

If not, I'll deal.

retrokat

Erzebet said:
I'm weird. When a deck has real people in it if their dead and long ago, doesn't affect my readings. In fact it enhances them! But if the people are alive people or people I know even slightly it ends up ruining the card(s) for me!

Would it be possible to put spoilers on posts that talk about people on the forum who are in the deck? I thought it was a deck that completely used personages from a certain time period, I had noooo idea! :bugeyed:

If not, I'll deal.

They're all long-dead peoples faces, but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned several times that a few faces reminded me of living people I know - eg, Jasper, Mary Greer (twice!), Dan - so I used those faces in cards where they felt right.

Since it was like a casting process, it was influenced by many subjective factors. And I think whether they're historical or living people that I was thinking of, both of those would bother some people as it would add a personal bias. This deck is full of personal bias. Someone mentioned that even 'recognising' their friends in a particular card would make the deck too biased for them. eg 'the Queen of Coins looks like my Aunty Myrtle, now every time I get that card I think it means something about her!'

And fair enough, it's that sort of deck - relating it to real people (who happen to resemble the faces) is part of what it's about. The tagline '78 friends you hold in your hand' gives an indication of how I intend that to happen.

If that doesn't suit someone's reading style, then probably another, less personal, deck would suit - eg Golden.

PS - the World LOOKS more like Jasper (lucky me, young hunk of a husband that he is), but the Fool has more of his... umm.. personality. So I think of him when that card comes up. Not him in person necessarily - it depends on the reading - but I think of his personality in the meaning of the card, and it gives me a deeper, fuller understanding of the card's complexity.

I think it's a bit hard to decide what needs a 'spoiler alert' because different things are significant to different people. eg, some people would probably prefer to not know that the Happy Squirrel is from a Simpsons episode. Or who the historical characters are. That's what you get for reading the board - I'm going to talk about pretty much every aspect of the deck here. I'm a 'cards on the table' kinda gal!