Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Hemera

All this sounds great. I´ll continue to read the old posts and learn more.
I think I´ll continue to post in Study Groups for now and see what will develop out of that.

Is your deck the Clive Barnes Ancient Egyptian, Rodney? It is a great deck, one of my favourites.
I have trimmed mine (off with the white borders!) and the colors are much more intense. I must have trimmed about 20 decks and all have improved from it. Naturally, when a deck becomes OOP one begins to wonder if it was smart to trim it. But I have not regretted any of the trimmings..yet..:)

thorhammer

Hemera said:
This is a stupid question I´m afraid...but is there something I should do next?
I mean.. I have been chosen by my deck and I have entered the door here. So what next?
I was thinking of posting in the Study Group thread (esp. after what Rodney just wrote:) ) and I keep writing stuff in my Tarot Journal about my Faerie tarot deck. Is there something else I should/could do?
Not a stupid question :) Rodney's right - whatever it feels is right for you. I, too, was "chosen" by my deck and I went into the IDS with some pretty nebulous goals. In the end, it was really about getting to know each card one by one. At some point, quite early on, it became clear to me that studying the minors in groups of numbers would be most valuable. Added to that, I had the Tarot Tree to work with as well, for the Majors. I didn't intend, in the beginning, to post in the Study Group, but I figured I may as well, and hopefully it will help someone else in future.

I'd say, explore your deck. What cards are visually or emotively similar? What links can you find? Do the suits follow a story? What parallels can you follow through the cards?

We're here to keep bouncing ideas off, Hemera. Enjoy!

\m/ Kat

Prism

PolarBear said:
I can understand the problem that more experienced readers are having with "thin" decks, but I'm sure I'm not the only tarot beginner on the list (please someone come out of the woodwork and tell me I'm not alone! :)
PolarBear, you are not alone!

I've been working with "thin" decks -- I'm on my third of the year. They are all beautiful RWS clones, and I love them all, and I've gotten a lot out of working with them. That may well be because I'm a beginner and I'm still getting used to the whole idea of Tarot. Or it may be that I'm just an RWS-clone kind of person. Hmmm, maybe that makes me "thin," which is OK too.

Prism

Prism

And congratulations, Kat! You are an inspiration, even if I do like thin decks!

rwcarter

Hemera,

Yes, it's the Clive Barrett Ancient Egyptian.

I've yet to trim any decks on my own, but I still have three of them in my collection, the latest being the Mythic Tarot. (That was the first deck I ever bought.) It's SO beautiful that I almost broke my IDS to play with it! :D

Rodney

Erzebet

Hemera said:
This is very comforting to know. I have been a bit desperate about it and I almost decided to stop posting there. It feels so stupid to write your private thoughts and ideas out there in the open and listen to the deafening silence. It makes one feel kind of silly.. (Alan Ross has been there with me,though,which is nice)

No, no, noooo! Please don't stop posting in the Faerie study group! I've absolutely loved reading your thoughts and ideas! I was actually contemplating doing this IDS thing with my Faerie Tarot or her Vampire deck. I'm just not sure! Meh. But don't think no one is reading your posts, I do and love them :D

Also I am going to post those remaining scans of Hertz's original paintings for you and everyone! My weekend was nuts, and I'm getting recharged after that :rolleyes: Never fear, I will be there! :heart:

afrosaxon

thorhammer said:
:party::D:party:I'M DONE!!!!!!:party::D:party:

How happy am I!!! I got all motivated and sat down this afternoon to finish off the last five cards, then typed them up and posted all the remaining cards to the Study Group, as well as the spreads I've designed for each level of the Tarot Tree.

Done.

Over.

I'm going to pack this deck up and move on. I think it's well overdue.

Come on, everyone, join me in a drink! I'm just going to duck out to change my sig . . . :D

\m/ Kat

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHH, KAT!

*happy dance*

Congratulations, girlie! I know it's a big relief.

*toasts Kat*

You deserve the drink. :D

T.

Hemera

Erzebet said:
No, no, noooo! Please don't stop posting in the Faerie study group! I've absolutely loved reading your thoughts and ideas! I was actually contemplating doing this IDS thing with my Faerie Tarot or her Vampire deck. I'm just not sure! Meh. But don't think no one is reading your posts, I do and love them :D

Also I am going to post those remaining scans of Hertz's original paintings for you and everyone! My weekend was nuts, and I'm getting recharged after that :rolleyes: Never fear, I will be there! :heart:

Ooooh:bugeyed: :love: how wonderful to hear this! Thank you for letting me know. This is most encouraging..
And since you know Nathalie, please send her loads of :love: LOVE:love: from an ardent admirerer (sp?). I sleep with the deck under my pillow and I never leave home without it (and I sometimes question my sanity because of this, but what the heck...)! :D

Hooked on TdM

Way to go Kat!! *toasts her coffee to you* That is awesome news! :)

Welcome Hemera and Nina! (yes I know I am very late! LOL)

I have done... NOTHING. I have not even touched Tarot in.. over a week? I think I needed a break though. I was starting to feel very blah. I'm ready to get back to my studies and practice readings again now. It was kinda nice to just shut off the brain for a bit though! :)

Hooked

SolSionnach

Nina* said:
Yay! :D ;)
The Robin Wood actually is pretty deep when it comes to symbolism; it's definitely not just something that's apparent in the book. But yes, the book is fabulous in explaining it all too.

I agree about the need for depth; personally I'd never be able to spend more than a few days with a, as you call it, ''thin'' deck.

Anyway, I'm really interested in how I'll make out too. I do have this terrible habit of changing decks all the time.
I'm glad that you're happy - but really, I think that in some ways you get out of an IDS what you put into it. (okay, so I'm drinking a beer tonight, and I start spouting cliches! :D)
I don't know that I'm set up to do a card by card study - that's why the whole TdM/Mel's postings in the TdM forum works for me. It's a huge huge overview which is almost more than I can grasp. Hell, it *is* more than I can grasp. :bugeyed:
Good luck sticking with one deck - I'm rather on an IDS hiatus, and it's all I can do to keep from pulling out the BBC deck. Odd, really, that that's the one that calls me. I'm a dog person! :eek:

re: 'thin' decks
PolarBear said:
I think it may depend on how much tarot knowledge you have to start with. I have been using the Llewellyn which is (mostly) a RWS clone but it has been fine for me.

I can understand the problem that more experienced readers are having with "thin" decks, but I'm sure I'm not the only tarot beginner on the list (please someone come out of the woodwork and tell me I'm not alone! :)
PolarBear
Oh, yes, PolarBear, that is absolutely true. If one is a true beginner, then almost any tarot deck would be a bit "thick" (not dense, as in the mental sense...lol.. oh heck, you know what I mean!). But doesn't the Llewellyn also add in Welsh mythology, the Mabigonon (sp!) or some such? (I did love those myths when I read them last...) That would definitely qualify as a thick (vs. thin) deck.

Oh, and how's that cardstock working out? I'm afraid to work with my Shining Tribe, for all I've heard about Llewellyn's bad cardstock.
Hooked on TdM said:
I have done... NOTHING. I have not even touched Tarot in.. over a week? I think I needed a break though. I was starting to feel very blah. I'm ready to get back to my studies and practice readings again now. It was kinda nice to just shut off the brain for a bit though! :)

Hooked
I think I need a reboot right about now, too. lol :bugeyed: