Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

thorhammer

Jamil said:
I do draw seven cards, one for each day. My thinking was (based on my certainty weekdays would be when I was most likely to have trouble making time) I'd draw all seven cards on Sunday afternoon, when I could reliably count on a block of free time.

Oddly, even in the relatively short time I've been doing this regularly, I've noticed that, across the span of seven days, the cards seem to grow less obviously relevant to whatever happens.
So, you're saying that Monday's is reasonably relevant, but by Friday your reading seems to have been on the wacky weed? :D

I struggle with dailies, too. I just can't seem to find any way of "making them fit", no matter how I try or don't try :rolleyes: so I don't, for the most part. Been doing it again with the Thoth, just to see how it works out. Plus, I find it a hard deck to read with, so need some avenue of practise.
Jamil said:
Last week, for a change, I drew a two cards mini-cross for each day (fourteen cards in all), and found the whole things collapsed into a complicated mess on me. So I won't do that again, at least not until I'm a lot more confident than I am now.
LOL I see people who do regular huge spreads for the day or the week and think, "Corr-blimey, how in Hel. . . :confused:???"
Jamil said:
Dare I ask... dare I ask, what's not to love? (I'm genuinely curious, so don't fear I'll panic and start shouting that you're an anti-Wood heathen who should burn, or anything. ;)

One thing I've noticed myself is that it's so remorselessly positive, sometimes, that I want to hit it with a stick until it stops bloody smiling. But I did partly choose it to balance my own tendency to gloom, so I can't really complain.
LOL The remorseless positivity is definitely part of it. I also despise the colour scheme, the cardstock, the backs, the damn ballerina on the four of Wands, the bimbo bouncing out of the cauldron in Judgement making MY SIGNATURE HAND GESTURE :bugeyed: - the Barbie-ness of it all . . . it just seems so plastic to me! And the sad thing is, I really wanted to like it because I wanted a Pagan-based RW "clone". Well. Got the DruidCraft, and while it's not a clone, it does the trick very nicely, thankyou very much.

Rant over :D.

I am, really, truly glad you like the deck. And if you're naturally inclined to gloom, then best you stick with it, and find a nice Magical Forest and Whimsical when you're done with the RW :D ROFL

\m/ Kat

Jamil

thorhammer said:
The remorseless positivity is definitely part of it. I also despise the colour scheme, the cardstock, the backs, the damn ballerina on the four of Wands, the bimbo bouncing out of the cauldron in Judgement making MY SIGNATURE HAND GESTURE :bugeyed: - the Barbie-ness of it all . . . it just seems so plastic to me! And the sad thing is, I really wanted to like it because I wanted a Pagan-based RW "clone". Well. Got the DruidCraft, and while it's not a clone, it does the trick very nicely, thankyou very much.

Thanks for that. It's an interesting perspective on the deck (and when it comes to perspectives, the more the merrier, I always say). Although, what a time to sell me on the Druid Craft! ;)

thorhammer said:
I am, really, truly glad you like the deck. And if you're naturally inclined to gloom, then best you stick with it, and find a nice Magical Forest and Whimsical when you're done with the RW :D ROFL

Ah, well, see you laugh now, but I actually bought the Magical Forest juuuust before deciding to IDS, and for several days it was going to be my anti-gloom choice. But, in the end, I couldn't get past its kitten-as-roadkill 10 Swords which, all by itself, overbalances the sweetness of the entire rest of the deck. That said, after RW, I'm fairly certain it's the Druid Craft for me...

SolSionnach

cronesayer said:
Hey, Kat, thank you for updating my IDS choice.

All right, I'm back...

First, I have to admit I totally bailed on my IDS commitment with the Druidcraft in June - I think I lasted almost a week.

Next, I want to formalize my commitment to try again with "The Whispering Tarot" (by Elizabeth Hazel).

I am choosing the Whispering Tarot, because ever since I introduced it to the mix a month ago, I have been enjoying it more and more. During the past week, it has become the only deck I drop in my bag when I leave the house and the first one I pull out to read with when I'm home. Then, day before yesterday, I saw an answer in one of its cards that had very little to do with the traditional meaning of the card but everything to do with being the correct answer, and I recognized it!

So, right now, I'm more than ready to put everything else aside and focus on my TWT deck for one month, which will take me through November 11, and I'm making the following commitments to help keep myself focused:

(1) I will keep up with reading the posts in this thread every day.
(2) I will post in this thread at least once a day.
(2) I will draw a card every day and write about it in the Daily Draw thread.

Thanks, you guys, and it's great to be back!

:heart:
c.s.
Yay, Cronesayer! Glad you're back. I've never heard of the Whispering Tarot, and I'm too lazy right now to google. Do you have a link? ;)

SolSionnach

Onyx said:
I am looking to see what I need to do next. I think that I have decided to keep with just 'unillustrated pips' since I am using both the 1JJ Swiss and my Fourier TdM. I like them both and they each have benefits that keep me going to those decks and not abandoning my IDS as I get busy with the class.
I like your idea of sticking to "unillustrated" pips (though I call them "non-scenic" pips)... and while I'm using Vieville for my IDS, I reserve the right to look at Hadar/Fournier/Svizzera 1804 for contrast. In this case, the Vieville has cards that are very non-TdM (see here: http://www.tarot-history.com/Jacques-Vieville/index.html and here: http://www.tarot-history.com/Jacques-Vieville/pages/page-2.html), so this deck does deserve an IDS all to itself, IMO.

Madame Squee

sravana said:
Yay, Cronesayer! Glad you're back. I've never heard of the Whispering Tarot, and I'm too lazy right now to google. Do you have a link? ;)
Thank you, Sravana, it is great to be back! Well, The Whispering Tarot is a new deck, created by Elizabeth Hazel, also author of Tarot Decoded. Here's her website and images of some of the cards (she originally called the deck the "Vala Tarot" and renamed it "The Whispering Tarot"):

http://www.kozmic-kitchen.com/opus/larger/index.html

Here's a thread on AT, which is mostly about The Whispering Tarot - starting with Erzebet's post, #5, and there's a link in there to Mary Greer's blog, wherein she interviews Liz Hazel about her new deck:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=104757&highlight=whispering+hazel

All I can say is that this deck quickly became my best friend. There's a lot activity and movement in these cards, with faces in the wind and waves and clouds, and there are many dragons, fairies, and wizards. The card size is perfect for me, too, and the neat, 2-piece, hard box is a plus -- I keep these cards in their original box when they're not in my hands, because it's so convenient & it protects them very well). Not all of the symbolism is traditional RWS, and The Whispering Tarot deck doesn't come with a LWB. I didn't order the book originally, but I have it on order now, because -- being too lazy to Google it all myself :p -- I'd just like to have Liz's insight on some of the symbols she's using. However, I have been reading with this deck very well for a month without the book.

Okay, now, I feel really, really bad, touting my new deck to fellow IDSers! }) I hope you'll forgive me? :angel:

Thanks again, Sravana!

c.s.

Essjay

The first weekend with the Radiant went well. I've started journalling this morning in a journal that I was using in December and January. I was looking at my previous entries with a feeling of horror. I was drawing five cards and listing their given meaning! It was quite inspiring as I realised how far I've come but I have no doubt that I will feel that about what I'm writing now in a year or so.

Very early days but am loving the RRW.

Hooked on TdM

I have no idea who I might have missed in welcoming so, welcome if I missed you! lol

Well I have decided to make a bit of a change. I'm tired of reading with the 1JJ Swiss. It becomes more ugly to me every time I use it. :( I still have pip cards to finish writing up on though. So I'm going to use my Tarot Classic (yes the ugly pink coloured one) for readings while I finish my card by card study on the 1JJ Swiss.

I have a few books that would go nicely with the Tarot Classic so I may just transition from the Swiss Study to the Classic Study. I'm not sure though. I may just take a break when I'm finally done with the Swiss too! LOL Time will tell.

Hopefully this bit of a switch will help me finish off the Swiss without me dragging my butt so much.

Hooked

SolSionnach

cronesayer said:
Thank you, Sravana, it is great to be back! Well, The Whispering Tarot is a new deck, created by Elizabeth Hazel, also author of Tarot Decoded. Here's her website and images of some of the cards (she originally called the deck the "Vala Tarot" and renamed it "The Whispering Tarot"):

http://www.kozmic-kitchen.com/opus/larger/index.html

All I can say is that this deck quickly became my best friend. There's a lot activity and movement in these cards, with faces in the wind and waves and clouds, and there are many dragons, fairies, and wizards. The card size is perfect for me, too, and the neat, 2-piece, hard box is a plus -- I keep these cards in their original box when they're not in my hands, because it's so convenient & it protects them very well). Not all of the symbolism is traditional RWS, and The Whispering Tarot deck doesn't come with a LWB. I didn't order the book originally, but I have it on order now, because -- being too lazy to Google it all myself :p -- I'd just like to have Liz's insight on some of the symbols she's using. However, I have been reading with this deck very well for a month without the book.

Okay, now, I feel really, really bad, touting my new deck to fellow IDSers! }) I hope you'll forgive me? :angel:

Thanks again, Sravana!

c.s.
Hey c.s.
That's a really different looking deck! I can't say that it's particularly my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat, as they say. My Meneghello Svizzera 1804 TdM also comes in a 2-piece hard box, and I love keeping it out on my dresser in it. I'm considering going to boxes instead of bags for a while - I kept the cellophane wrapper around my Vieville's box, and I think that it will help keep it pristine for a bit. It's a challenge, not having a book to go with the deck - though I find that for some decks the book isn't really helpful. I'm thinking of MAAT - while I love the book especially for explaining Julie's lunar phase symbolism, I don't find it that useful divinatorially. My take on some of the cards is *way* off from hers.

Of course, using the TdM means that I get to make it up as I go along lol. The TdM forum here is scary-full of ideas to consider, and it's all starting to make sense now. :)
Essjay said:
The first weekend with the Radiant went well. I've started journalling this morning in a journal that I was using in December and January. I was looking at my previous entries with a feeling of horror. I was drawing five cards and listing their given meaning! It was quite inspiring as I realised how far I've come but I have no doubt that I will feel that about what I'm writing now in a year or so.

Those cards are very nice! If I was going to use the RW, I'd either use the Original (with the green skies lol), the Radiant, or the Illuminated. Each is lovely in its own way. :)

It's nice to look back at how far you've come, isn't it? :) Progress!! :) :p
Hooked on TdM said:
I have no idea who I might have missed in welcoming so, welcome if I missed you! lol

Well I have decided to make a bit of a change. I'm tired of reading with the 1JJ Swiss. It becomes more ugly to me every time I use it. :(
Hopefully this bit of a switch will help me finish off the Swiss without me dragging my butt so much.
Oh, boo! You are READY for a switch, woman. How many weeks has it been with the 1JJ? Of course, if you'd been using the Classic, we would've never gotten that hilarious and spot-on reading that you gave me a couple of weeks ago! (guys, just trust me - I don't think Hooked and I have finished giggling about it yet...)
How many more pips do you have to do? I hope you don't find the pips ugly, because I think they are gorgeous. The one thing that turns me off of that deck is that the coloring is so stark and garish, with the same 4 colors on every card. I think I would've preferred it to be b&w rather than those colors. I was considering an IDS with the Swiss, but I knew that I couldn't stand more than a couple of days of those colors. :bugeyed:

Madame Squee

Day 4 - Whispering Tarot

Well, it's only day four, and I've already fallen behind on posting, however, I believe this shortfall will sort itself out before Nov. 12, or I can just add days to my commitment. The main thing is that I keep my deck with me at all times, which is easy because it fits in any pocket, and I tuck it under the corner of my pillow at night. I shuffle the cards so frequently, this may be the first deck I wear out. :p

Hooked on TdM said:

Well I have decided to make a bit of a change. I'm tired of reading with the 1JJ Swiss. It becomes more ugly to me every time I use it. :( I still have pip cards to finish writing up on though. So I'm going to use my Tarot Classic (yes the ugly pink coloured one) for readings while I finish my card by card study on the 1JJ Swiss.

I have a few books that would go nicely with the Tarot Classic so I may just transition from the Swiss Study to the Classic Study. I'm not sure though. I may just take a break when I'm finally done with the Swiss too! LOL Time will tell.

Hooked
Thanks for the welcome, Hooked, it's great to be here. You know, my biggest fear is that this deck will become ugly to me before we're done. That's pretty much what happened last time (with the Druidcraft), but I dropped out as soon as the feeling reared up.:bugeyed:

Essjay said:

Hey, Essjay, that's exactly how I started journaling, too, and I actually tossed out quite a few of my earliest attempts as a result, but while I was going through them all (I mostly use steno pads) to decide what stays, I found some really interesting entries and ideas, which I could not recall imagining and writing down, although it was clearly mine & not copied. I had never been one to keep a diary before I started journaling my Tarot studies, so, perhaps this is a common occurrence among those who do, but it startled me. Whenever I journal it's always in the morning immediately after getting out of bed, so that might account for it -- something like a dream slipping away...

sravana said:
Hey c.s.
That's a really different looking deck! I can't say that it's particularly my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat, as they say. My Meneghello Svizzera 1804 TdM also comes in a 2-piece hard box, and I love keeping it out on my dresser in it. I'm considering going to boxes instead of bags for a while - I kept the cellophane wrapper around my Vieville's box, and I think that it will help keep it pristine for a bit. It's a challenge, not having a book to go with the deck - though I find that for some decks the book isn't really helpful. I'm thinking of MAAT - while I love the book especially for explaining Julie's lunar phase symbolism, I don't find it that useful divinatorially. My take on some of the cards is *way* off from hers.
Hey Sravana -- you're right about the book thing & I'm a little apprehensive about actually receiving and reading this one as I'm in the midst of developing a good relationship with these cards. Maybe, I'll just set it aside when it arrives & wait for the "ugly" moment before I bust it out! :D

Talk to you guys later!

c.s.

Essjay

Hi Cronesayer

Like you, I don't really do diaries so I think writing down thoughts and feelings is a little foreign to me. In fact, when I found a diary I had managed to keep when I was around 14 I threw it away immediately (it was so awful I can't tell you). The fact that I'm actually using the same journal as last year is a major step forward for me. I don't write every day but when I can and it is yet to become addictive. I'll let you know next week if my feelings have changed :)