Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Onyx

Checkign in on my IDS.

I have finished the class I am teaching and it was a lot of fun and far more challenging than I thought it would be. I got a chance to introduce a couple of new people to our wonderful world of Tarot.

One thing that has amazed me as I return to my focus on non-scenic pips is the vast variety of different decks. I thought when I started I was going to be limited to either 1JJ Swiss or a TdM style. But there are a lot of different decks. My latest interest is the Crystal Tarot. I had heard about it but never gave it a shot until I heard it was non-scenic pips I took a look and then snagged me a deck.

I like how as I work through getting away from the dependence on the pictures I am happy to find that I have lots of beautiful options to explore the new world I am discoverying.

Onyx.

Quantum James

rwcarter said:
As for the rude/indifferent reading it gave you, remember that growth often comes through adversity. Maybe if you really had to work to get in tune with the deck you would gain more from the experience than if you two bonded instantly?

This is SO true! At first my Liber-T did not want to talk to me - or perhaps I just didn't want to hear what it was saying, but I was so determined to work with it, I would just grit my teeth and *really* look at those readings for a long time. When I got through that I really plugged into it and we get a long, perhaps, too well.

Now it gets jealous and pushes my other decks of the shelf :D

QJ

Hedera

Fantastic Menagerie

rwcarter said:
Hedera,

Another option if you have a scanner is to scan all the cards in the deck and either make your daily card your screen saver, your desktop background or just open it in some type of picture viewing software.

Rodney

I don't have a scanner - but I've just realized that all the cards of the Fantastic Menagerie are up on the website, so I could save those.

However, I try to keep my computer switched off most of the time, unless really necessary, and to have quite a few computerless days a week. And when doing NaNo, I *really* won't have much time for it (I use my Alphasmart for writing, not the computer).

Hmmm, we'll see.
I think letting go of the slightly perfectionistic idea that I HAVE to have my card(s) of the day out for display all day, might be good for me.

Anyway, my plan is to exclusively use the Fantastic Menagerie for readings for, let's say, at least the month of November.

When one or two decks I've recently ordered arrive, I can open them and look through them, but then they're put away.
I also won't buy any new decks for the month, unless somehow the Drogi becomes available at an affordable price.

Edit:
You know, just one month seems a little weak as a commitment, even for a Tigger-tarot-lover like myself...
So I'm making it three months, (at least) until the 2nd of Februari 2009, which is Candlemas/Imbolc.

rwcarter

Well, as I knew it would, my IDS with the Ancient Egyptian has come to something of a crossroads. I'm not declaring it over cause there's still lots to do with it, but my Transparent Tarot has arrived and that's going to be my new fixation for awhile. After reading the book, I don't think there's going to be a lot to study with this deck. Instead I think it's going to be a deck that screams out to be used. And I will be doing just that.

But when I feel a need to do some studying, I will be doing so with the AET. So, my IDS isn't over and it isn't even on hold. I guess it's becoming an ODS (Occasional Deck Study). But I'll still be watching this thread to see the progress people are making and the hurdles they're crossing. And I'll still be welcoming people and encouraging them along.

The IDS has been a wonderful experience for me. It's changed the way I approach decks and even how I read. I hope everyone's IDS has such a positive impact on them.

Rodney

SolSionnach

Quantum James said:
Well... its as Kat says knights are fire and princes air.
In which case I'd say that the Thoth knights are like RWS kings, and thoth princes are like RWS knights. I think. :)
Quantum James said:
And as far as correlating with RWS court, they simply just DO NOT. This has been my major realization - I cannot transpose the meanings or attitudes at all. The Thoth/GD structure is its own - its not as simple as swapping them. Once this stuck in my head I decided to scrap trying that and look at the court with fresh eyes.
Ah, okay. A complete different animal, then. This is reminding me of what I'm doing with the TdM courts - not really ditching the GD elemental attribs (well, the RWS where Kings = fire, etc), but looking at them in a completely different way, more based on their posture, expression, etc. The Vieville is much different from the classic TdM, btw.
Quantum James said:
Admittedly, its totally counterintuitive by comparison to the European feudal court structure represented in RWS.

The most confusing part being that Knight-king (as the Liber T LWB calls them) is the mature yang energy, with king-like consort qualities in relation to the queen AND the get up and go energy of a RWS knight. While the Prince has the unstable youthful energy of RWS knight AND the rulership qualities of a king - as the king in training.
Are you looking at that mature yang energy as choleric/fire? because then the princes being air/ sanguine would give them a totally different feel. BUt then again, the GD evidently didn't use the 'true' Renaissance meanings for the elements (and modern-day paganism takes them even further away from the traditional meanings)... considering that air is sanguine (jolly, happy-go-lucky, social butterfly) versus the usual 'mental anguish' of the swords suit really takes you somewhere else entirely. For me, Coupes/Sanguine/Air!
Quantum James said:
I have started thinking of them as King part 1 and part 2 - what this does do however is undermine the hierarchical structure of the RWS court making the whole thing very flat - and very matriarchal actually.

Anyway, I am still trying to fully integrate the idea into my head - I suspect when the transformation is complete my brain structure will be *permanently* altered! :laugh:

[EDIT]: Oh my I had an epiphany as I read my own post! The RWS court structure models a courts structure as single 'family' unit. The Thoth structure is more temporal or TIME based. The Prince is the King in phase 1 of his development and he grows up and becomes Knight-king in phase 2. Same for the princess, who grows up to become the queen!
Oh, amazing! I see what you are saying, and of course, I'd read about the Prince displacing the Knight et al before when I read the BoT, but it never struck me this way. Great! Thanks!
Quantum James said:
The Prince grows up gets on his horse and goes to another kingdom to go marry a princess who has grown up and become the new queen... They have two children; a prince and princess - the throne eventually passes to the princess and prince leaves to go marry another princess elsewhere...

Its described in the Greer/Little book to that effect but its only now as I posted that it all made sense.
Kilted Kat said:
This is what I have been up to: an emergency deck for my car!
Wow, that's really sweet! I bought the mini jodo/camoin, and it's a perfect little emergency car deck, too. Great work!
Onyx said:
Checkign in on my IDS.

I have finished the class I am teaching and it was a lot of fun and far more challenging than I thought it would be. I got a chance to introduce a couple of new people to our wonderful world of Tarot.

One thing that has amazed me as I return to my focus on non-scenic pips is the vast variety of different decks. I thought when I started I was going to be limited to either 1JJ Swiss or a TdM style. But there are a lot of different decks. My latest interest is the Crystal Tarot. I had heard about it but never gave it a shot until I heard it was non-scenic pips I took a look and then snagged me a deck.

I like how as I work through getting away from the dependence on the pictures I am happy to find that I have lots of beautiful options to explore the new world I am discoverying.
Onyx.
I love the art in the Crystal deck, but seeing Swords as ?water? I think rather put me off the deck.
The world of non-scenic pips is quite deep - take a look at the Tarot of Eden, the Ukiyoe, the Tarot du Roy Nissanka... all pip decks, with very different takes on the cards.
rwcarter said:
Well, as I knew it would, my IDS with the Ancient Egyptian has come to something of a crossroads. I'm not declaring it over cause there's still lots to do with it, but my Transparent Tarot has arrived and that's going to be my new fixation for awhile. After reading the book, I don't think there's going to be a lot to study with this deck. Instead I think it's going to be a deck that screams out to be used. And I will be doing just that.

But when I feel a need to do some studying, I will be doing so with the AET. So, my IDS isn't over and it isn't even on hold. I guess it's becoming an ODS (Occasional Deck Study). But I'll still be watching this thread to see the progress people are making and the hurdles they're crossing. And I'll still be welcoming people and encouraging them along.

The IDS has been a wonderful experience for me. It's changed the way I approach decks and even how I read. I hope everyone's IDS has such a positive impact on them.

Rodney
Great to hear that you had such a successful time with the AET - bravo! I'm very curious about the Transparent tarot... maybe someday i'll get to see one in action. I just discovered a new must-have deck recently, and I'm trying to figure out how I'll ever be able to afford it. More later.

On another front, I find that my IDS is morphing from just the Vieville to the Vieville + various TdMs. I'm using the TdMs to compare with the Vieville in my daily draws (or should I say 'thrice-weekly draws'), and that is giving me greater insight into the Vieville.

afrosaxon

started my IDS!

I read for a client with the Mystic Dreamer yesterday, and she really liked the deck (and the reading :laugh:).

So I started my IDS yesterday.

I'm doing something different this time; I've seen discussion that each of the numbered pips are mini-manifestations of the majors, so I am exploring that aspect to see how they connect. Also, I am doing the cards in groups, rather than one by one.

Yesterday I started with all of the Aces, and the Magician. I like seeing how the author's spin on each ace and how they match up (or not) with the Magician. There were definite differences and feels to each card ,and the Magician card didn't seem to give me the whole "alchemy of all suits" vibe like other Magician cards from other decks. Maybe it's because the representatives of each suit were so TINY, even given the overall smallness of the images on each card in the deck. Perhaps the focus of this card was supposed to be on the Magician herself and her personal power, instead of the elements used in owning that power.

At this rate (since I'm doing the group thing LOL), I may be done with my IDS fairly quickly. That wasn't my intent, but oh well. *shrug*

On to the twos and my personality AND soul card...the High Priestess. :cool:

T.

afrosaxon

Happy Birthday, Alamaris!

Forgot to mention:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our fellow IDSer, Alamaris!

*hugs*

I hope your day has been a good one...and it ain't over yet!

T.

Onyx

sravana said:
Great work!I love the art in the Crystal deck, but seeing Swords as ?water? I think rather put me off the deck.
The world of non-scenic pips is quite deep - take a look at the Tarot of Eden, the Ukiyoe, the Tarot du Roy Nissanka... all pip decks, with very different takes on the cards.

I have been working with it a couple of days and it took me a little while to realize that Swords were water. Hmmmm . . . It is interesting and I think it will be helpful to think outside of the box.

I will take a look at those other decks. Man . . . I hope I don't want to buy any after I am done. : - )

Onyx.

vee

So after some thought, I've decided I'm going to start an IDS with my DruidCraft. I'm starting on Wednesday, since tomorrow I'm voting, working, and then going to Obamapalooza here in Chicago!

I'm new to Tarot, and I've been using primarily RWS for the past three months. I just got my DruidCraft in the mail and I'm really excited about the idea of getting to know it. I'm setting up a blog to write in, as I think that will keep me motivated to really articulate how I feel about a certain card.

rwcarter

Welcome aboard the IDS train vee! Your journey will be whatever you make it....

Rodney