A new de-enabling thread

gregory

Well - hard to find it ain't. I won't tell you where you can get it just like that - but yes, expensive, at $300.

But really - it isn't THAT special. Pretty, sure - but decorative rather than incisive, and I wouldn't want to read with it.

If this is your kind of collecting - mine cost me $20 - it was bought when it came out. Start doing that with new interesting decks and a few yours ago you too can be mean about them like what I am ! DON'T spend loads of your money on older ones; you can do better with it !

Rob

gregory said:
Well - hard to find it ain't. I won't tell you where you can get it just like that - but yes, expensive, at $300.

But really - it isn't THAT special. Pretty, sure - but decorative rather than incisive, and I wouldn't want to read with it.

If this is your kind of collecting - mine cost me $20 - it was bought when it came out. Start doing that with new interesting decks and a few yours ago you too can be mean about them like what I am ! DON'T spend loads of your money on older ones; you can do better with it !

I've seen several places offering it at that rate, but of course I wouldn't pay that for it. I don't think it looks too bad as a reading deck from the pictures I've seen. I guess I'm looking for a reason to not even trade for it or seek it out...

gregory

Er - do you like decks with no colour ? I find them very restricting....

Card stock is (as I recall - I don't even care enough to go dig it out) rather lightweight and unlaminated/uncoated.... I wouldn't want to use it a whole lot....

Cat*

Strategeus said:
Tarocchi di Valentina Visconti per il Palio d'Asti

I find myself strongly wanting this deck, and it's very expensive and hard to find. Let the de-enabling begin! And let me express my appreciation for all of the wonderful help you all are giving me. :)
At your service. ;)

I have several thoughts (in no particular order).

Are you able to properly pronounce the name so you can brag about it when among people who'd know what you were talking about? What are your ties to that French duke, his Italian bride, and her prenuptial occupations? Do you really want a deck that is about some medieval woman's "bridal journey" and about that only? What would you read about with such a deck? Would you even understand enough of the symbology to be able to read it?

Since most of what I said before might not be an issue if you had a background in medieval European history and/or read mostly intuitively, here are some more thoughts independent of that. Would you be able to resist the urge to color it? Because it does have an unfinished look to me. I was also thinking about the cardstock quality in terms of usability, but gregory has already answered that one for me. If the corners are pointed like the one's in Tarot Garden's scans, it will make shuffling extra hard and not at all enjoyable. Not to mention it will ruin the corners in no time, especially if the cardstock is like gregory described it.

Next! :D

(I start to see why I don't have much of a wishlist myself... ;))

gregory

They are pointed corners, as I recall. I still can't be arsed to go get it out !#

Though I suddenly wonder about colouring it.... DAMN !

Rob

Cat* said:
At your service. ;)

I have several thoughts (in no particular order).

Are you able to properly pronounce the name so you can brag about it when among people who'd know what you were talking about? What are your ties to that French duke, his Italian bride, and her prenuptial occupations? Do you really want a deck that is about some medieval woman's "bridal journey" and about that only? What would you read about with such a deck? Would you even understand enough of the symbology to be able to read it?

Since most of what I said before might not be an issue if you had a background in medieval European history and/or read mostly intuitively, here are some more thoughts independent of that. Would you be able to resist the urge to color it? Because it does have an unfinished look to me. I was also thinking about the cardstock quality in terms of usability, but gregory has already answered that one for me. If the corners are pointed like the one's in Tarot Garden's scans, it will make shuffling extra hard and not at all enjoyable. Not to mention it will ruin the corners in no time, especially if the cardstock is like gregory described it.

Next! :D

(I start to see why I don't have much of a wishlist myself... ;))

I'm currently engaged to a nearly full-blooded Italian girl who will soon be an Italian bride herself... :p

I actually really like black and white decks, believe it or not - I am very drawn to that style in particular, and it's one of the things I like best about this deck (though I've seen other black and white decks I like better).

The squared corner cardstock is somewhat of a concern for actual reading, but with exceeding care...

Nope! Still not de-enabled! But that was an excellent try. :)

gregory

It's not black and white, it's sepia and white..... and the card stock is decidedly thin.

truelighth

Strategeus said:
Well I definitely had imagined reading with them, so if they're too fragile for that purpose, they're largely useless to me. Also, the majors and minors are really different sizes? That certainly precludes reading for the most part (though if they can't be shuffled, I guess it doesn't matter much).

Well, I said in MY deck the majors and minors are different sizes :D. And that is the truth, but that is also because I bought them separately. It seems if you buy the deck in one go now, it will be the same size. There was about a year time difference between me buying the majors and the minors. In the meantime they made a change to the format. To make up for it, they will send me the paper version for free.

And about the wooden cards, they are not heavy. They are made from thin light wood. And it may be possible to shuffle them carefully, but I personally wouldn't risk it. I think that if you handle them too harshly, they could very well break. And they are not completely flat for sure.

Anyway, de-enabling worked, so I am going back to enabling mode ;)*grin*

truelighth

Ok, one more try on de-enabling. This time about the Valentina Visconti. I agree with Gregory on the card quality. The cards are not laminated and square. I would definately not use it as a reading deck. And I can imagine that with enough shuffling, the images would start to fade. Besides, it has non-illustrated pip cards AND 10 cards more then a normal tarot. What would you do with those extra 10 cards??? Nah, better take it off your list.

Rob

truelighth said:
Ok, one more try on de-enabling. This time about the Valentina Visconti. I agree with Gregory on the card quality. The cards are not laminated and square. I would definately not use it as a reading deck. And I can imagine that with enough shuffling, the images would start to fade. Besides, it has non-illustrated pip cards AND 10 cards more then a normal tarot. What would you do with those extra 10 cards??? Nah, better take it off your list.

Ok, ok, it's off the list. :p Thanks for your services!! There are lots still to go on my wishlist....hmmm....

How about the Gran Tarot Belline? :D