Transparent Tarot - Death, 4 Pentacles, 5 Pentacles

rwcarter

birdsong123 posted here in the Daily Draws thread about her draw of Death, 4 Pentacles and 5 Pentacles. She labeled all the cards as being reversed. I corrected her that Death is actually Mirror-Imaged (MId) and not reversed.

It's normal for reversed cards to suggest different meanings than upright cards. But when you throw in MIs, there are even more possibilities. I've attached five different versions of the same CI to this post.
  • #1 is birdsong's original CI, which is actually the MI Devil, MI and Rx 4P and MI and Rx 5P.
  • #2 is MI Death, MI 4P and MI 5P.
  • #3 is Death, MI 4P and MI 5P.
  • #4 is MI Death, Rx 4P, Rx 5P
  • As I was typing this it occurred to me that maybe she introduced the MI in scanning or photographing the CI, so #5 is Devil, Rx 4P and Rx 5P.

Of course there are more permutations of these three cards between Standard Images (SIs), MIs and Rxs. Fortunately, I'm limited to 5 attachments or else I'd still be scanning.... :D

Image #1 speaks to me of material decline (be it monetary or health) that is leading one right into the path of the scythe, which clears all that it encounters so that it can begin the next phase of its existence.

Removing the Pentacles reversals so that they're only MId, Image #2 strikes me as being much more sinister than the first image. The figure in the 4P appears to have gained his position (figuratively, but also literally in this image!) by stepping on or riding upon the back of the figure in the 5P. And what makes this image even more sinister to me is that the scythe just narrowly misses the head of the figure in the 5P. It's almost as if the figure in the 4P is saying, "I've gotten what I need from you/You've served your purpose, and no you're no longer necessary."

In image #3, the cards shifted as I scanned them. But with the scythe pointing the other way, there's no apparent end in sight to the 4 taking advantage of the 5 or the 5 being taken advantage of by the 4. I think there just was an opportunity for it to end, but the opportunity was just missed.

By removing the MIing in image #1, image #4 shows a reversal of fortune with no end in sight. Whereas in the first image the figures seem to be falling into the path of the scythe, in image #4 they are falling where the scythe has already been, so there's nothing in that image that points to any end or transition point.

What I see in image #5 is the same thing that I see in image #1. The only thing that's different is that if CI A were on the left and CI B were on the right, then the change indicated in image #1 would be shown in CI B, while the change indicated in image #2 would in CI A.

Rodney

Attachments

• Death_4P_5P_1.jpg
    Death_4P_5P_1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 427
  • Death_4P_5P_2.jpg
    Death_4P_5P_2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 422
  • Death_4P_5P_3.jpg
    Death_4P_5P_3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Death_4P_5P_4.jpg
    Death_4P_5P_4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 411
  • Death_4P_5P_5.jpg
    Death_4P_5P_5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 407

inanna_tarot

Rodney.. i must be really overtired because trying to read your post just made my head go 'blah blah blah blah' lol.
But the scans speaks volumes!!! Its so interesting how one reversal can make such a difference to the composite image and just shows that this deck adds a whole new level to reading. Its like suddenly we've gone to 3D with tarot reading.

Thanks for taking the time to put up all those scans so we can see how things are changed and affected.

rwcarter

inanna,

As you catch up on the various threads, my blatherings will begin to make sense. Glad the attached images helped make sense of what I was trying to get at.

Look at the first post in this thread to see a list of the various acronyms that've been created for discussing this deck.

Welcome aboard. It's a fun ride!

Rodney

inanna_tarot

Yeah im thinking when I get the deck and get to play with the ways the cards can be flipped and spread out then thats when the SI, MI and CI all make sense lol.

Your hard work and love of this deck is making my overtired brain read more TT posts lol.

Sulis

Moderator message

Just a gentle reminder to keep 'real' readings out of this thread.
'Readings' in Tarot Study Groups are to be posted purely to discuss the symbolism of the cards and how they react with each other.
See this post in the Tarot Study Groups guidelines: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1004691&postcount=4

For this reason a couple of posts have been removed from this thread.

Sulis - Tarot Study Groups moderator