A new de-enabling thread

Le Fanu

sravana said:
ETA: Fanu! You are thinking of collecting the Ancestral Path, but not Corte??? You make no sense to me!! :D :D :) :p

It´s just coz there´s a world of difference in the price.... But I think Im de-enabled. All I really needed to know is that it isn´t going to be hugely sought after, and so if I do decide I need one ten years hence :) there´ll be loads of them floating around and turning up in trades like bad pennies...

WolfSpirit

Le Fanu said:
Ok, can anyone help me here...

There is an old copy of the Ancestral Path Tarot in my local shop. It isn´t a deck I like particularly, but Im thinking of buying it from the collecting point of view. Ive got a hunch that this is going to go up in value and there is a copy sitting in a dusty cabinet in my local shop. Not particularly expensive either.

I really feel I should buy it. Ive done a search here and see that most posts about the Ancestral Path are in the Trading forum; everyone trying to get rid of their copy after finding it too culturally busy, and not connecting with it.

As I say, there is no point trying to dissuade me of the art because I don´t really like it (but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised). That Fool card has to be one of the most hideous ever.

But somehow, I feel I should buy it as I feel it is going to be collectible. Or is it?

Tough one, huh?

I think it is just a bad idea to buy a deck you don't like, in the hope that it will be worth something one day.
The tarot market is a fickle one, and not every OOP deck is going to be desirable and sought after one day (and whenever that will be...). It is too frustrating to sit and wait till it is worth something, if ever. Use that valuable space in your home for a deck you really like. You don't like the AP now, everything you don't like about it now you will really hate if you see the deck sitting there idly.
Don't try to invest in things you are also emotionally involved in.
Collect with your heart, invest with your brain.

firefrost

AJ and FaireMaiden -

Thank you! I've been looking at the Truth Seekers deck for a while now, thinking how I liked the cards but now you've both put me completely off! :thumbsup:

FaireMaiden

Truth Seekers Tarot

Well... I guess we can say, 'Mission Accomplished!' So glad we helped you to decide, *vvvbs*

BrightEye

Dammit, I still want it!

firefrost

BrightEye said:
Dammit, I still want it!

:bugeyed:

You're very brave! Okay, you buy it and then let me know if you think it's worth it... })

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
It´s just coz there´s a world of difference in the price.... But I think Im de-enabled. All I really needed to know is that it isn´t going to be hugely sought after, and so if I do decide I need one ten years hence :) there´ll be loads of them floating around and turning up in trades like bad pennies...
Actually, it looks to me like the prices offered are comparable. Oh wait, you saw the APT for cheap, right? Nevermind. lol

What the Corte is offered for, and what I paid for my APT (and sold it for) are comparable in the US.

re: loads of them floating around - that was just my opinion, and I didn't see the stock market crash coming, either! :) :cool: :mad:

magpie9

Ahhh, the Corte.

I can't possibly express how glad I was to get rid of the Corte. The only place it looks good is in on-line scams. Don't be seduced, as I was. It's dingy looking. All the lines are blurry, and the colors are washed out. The art pleasant, what you can see of it. The stock could double as Beer Mats, it's so thick and inflexible.
This deck is a paycheck deck, but for $60. instead of a mere $20. I think they have to sell all of them for it to become actually collectable, and that's unlikely, with this deck's problems.

Walk on by.

Sphinxmoth

ah, a couple of good de-enables for the Corte, glad I am to read them. it has been on my wishlist for a really long time, and now I can take it off of there for good, without a backward glance or any regrets.

sometimes taking a deck off of that list is as satisfying as aquiring one from it.

i was glad to catch some of that good ol deenabling.

FaireMaiden

Truth Seekers Tarot

BrightEye said:
Dammit, I still want it!
*lol* So do I *lol*... I want so very much what it COULD HAVE, and SHOULD HAVE, been, *sigh*

Truly, there was so much potential in this deck. Like I said, I ran to the store to get it, and I never run anywhere, *lol* Alas, one of the reasons I ran to the store was because I read Janet's review over at Amazon and thought maybe I better see for myself, up close & personal, instead of just ordering online. But the main reason I ran to the store was because I was so taken with it, I wanted it RIGHT NOW!

I'm glad I did because the cards in person just in no way measure up to what you're seeing online. Go look for yourself, if you can, before buying.

Alas, I was so very, very disappointed, Bright Eye. And, I must admit to feeling like a bit of a schmucky schoolgirl, who has a crush on a boy and no impulse-control whatsoever, for having run to the store to get it only to find that the prince-of-my-dreams was actually a frog... just like my mother (in this case, Janet) told me he would be! *lol*